PDA

View Full Version : Putting a heel on a Boolit

Andy_P
01-10-2010, 09:10 AM
I have a Remington #4 Rolling Block in 32 Long rimfire and I need a heeled bullet mold. Something around 90 grs with about a 0.313" driving band, The heel diameter might be the issue. I use the Dixie Gun Works turned brass cartridges that use 22 blanks in an offset hole. The brass is thick and looks like it will only accept a heel in the 0.285-0.290" range.

The molds I see for sale produce about a 0.298" heel. I'm reluctant to try to flare or otherwise expand the (typically) brittle turned brass for fear of splitting it.

I have a 0.313" mold that would be suitable, but it lacks a heel. Can any of you suggest a device I could make to put a heel on a boolit? I thought about drilling a hole in two pieces of aluminum clamped together, adding alignment pins and then using them in a vise to squeeze a heel. Even that idea requires a drill of the correct size (37/128?).

curator
01-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Custom mould makers like LBT can cut a mould to your needs. Have you tried a .315 round ball? Typically, the old .32 rimfire rifles have a very slow twist anyway. A soft round ball can be "tapped" into the mouth of your cases far enough to create a small heel but the outside part still be large enough to fill the bore.

beagle
01-10-2010, 12:47 PM
If you have the appropriate sizing die, it's possible to size a heel on a PB bullet in a lubricator/sizer./beagle

Andy_P
01-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Great ideas - thanks guys.

Custom mould makers like LBT can cut a mould to your needs. Have you tried a .315 round ball? Typically, the old .32 rimfire rifles have a very slow twist anyway. A soft round ball can be "tapped" into the mouth of your cases far enough to create a small heel but the outside part still be large enough to fill the bore.

Just tried it and it worked. I tapped one in about 50 thou and it's quite secure. I suppose I could lube it by dipping the exposed part in my beeswax-based bullet lube in a molten state, or Alox. The ball only weighs 48 grs and should be fine over 1.5-2.0 grs of Bullseye. Worth a try and I will.

If you have the appropriate sizing die, it's possible to size a heel on a PB bullet in a lubricator/sizer./beagle

A good idea understanding that the first 50-100 thou is typically a larger tapered area to guide the boolit in, and on a short boolit like I'll be using that might be too much. I could use a Lee 0.285" and try it. If it's too small, I can lap it out, if the tapers too long I can cut 100 thou off the bottom.

I have the Lee 0.314" 90 gr mold. I could size the top half of the lube grooves and seat it backwards - a WC with a PB "tail".

Pepe Ray
01-10-2010, 07:05 PM
Much of the following suggestion depends on your luck in finding the correct tools.

My course of action in creating a heeled 45 boolet required a Lee FCD for a .444 Marlin ctg. also cobbed a sort of base for holding the parent boolet in place while activating the die.
If you were trying for "production", it would be a failure but as a hobby project it was fun and rewarding. (Old retired pharts have lots of free time.)
Based on your given dimensions, I'd start looking at various 7mm/.280" ctgs. and if FCD's are available for them.
Good luck, Pepe Ray

mpmarty
01-10-2010, 09:26 PM
I believe only pistol FCD dies will work as the rifle FCDs are collet based. If one could order something like a 7mm LeMat die that might do the trick.

Andy_P
01-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Resourceful bunch here. I need a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the 7x57 anyways - nothing to lose trying.

Pepe Ray
01-10-2010, 11:01 PM
It is the collet feature that is required for this to work. It will squeeze the lead base laterally. Pistol FCD's won't do it AFAIK
My combination wasn't a perfect match. I had to adjust/increase the range of squeeze by opening up the slots w/a Dremel tool and cut off wheel.
Pepe Ray

w30wcf
01-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Andy P,

You might want to check your chamber diameter and compare it to the O.D. of your cases. Chances are that the cases might be several thousands smaller than the chamber dimension.

If so, the diameter of the heel may need to be bigger than .285/.290 once the cases have expanded to fit the chamber. Beagle's idea of using a 7MM die in a lubrisizer is an excellent one.

I have an 1892 Marlin in .32 Colt. The chamber at the mouth measures about .321". R-P .32 Colt cases, once expanded to fit the chamber require a heel diameter of .306" to stay in the case neck. Using a .301" die in my lubrisizer, I form a tapered heel in the lead in angle in the die that fits perfectly into the fired case neck.

Your turned cases possibly have thicker case walls.

Here's another thought. If you cut a portion of a 7MM case neck the length of the desired heel, it may fit ok into the rear driving band portion of your mold. You will likely need to taper the inside of the neck portion a bit to remove it from the bullet after it is cast.

w30wcf

w30wcf
01-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Here's a pic of various .32 Long Colt bullets. The three to the right of the wooden shot carrier have tapered heels that were formed with a .301" sizing die.
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/w30wcf/32LCbulletsjpg.jpg

w30wcf