PDA

View Full Version : hot plate or lee 4 20?

bigboredad
01-09-2010, 08:56 PM
I've been casting for about 8 months now and I cast almost everyday. When I started out I tried to keep cost down to make sure I did,t spend a lot until I found out if i enjoyed it or not. Well now I'm hooked I've been ladle casting with a hot plate and a soup ladle and was curious if a lee 4 20 is a worth while upgrade or if my money would be better spent on better molds. Time is not a worry and I've learned to ladle cast very well. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated thanks guys

mooman76
01-09-2010, 09:02 PM
If you are doing good like you are I'd get some more moulds and upgrade the pot later. I still ladle cast after almost 40 years. It works well for me so I see no reason to change now. I just upgraded to an electric pot about 2 years ago. before that I always used a coleman stove, turkey frier base or the kitchen stove. That worked well too but I wanted something a little simpler for the garage.

HeavyMetal
01-09-2010, 10:52 PM
It really depends on what you needs are.

If your feeding a 100 round a month BPCR ladle cast is just fine.

If you feeding a pair of IPSC guns and need 2000 rounds a month just to practise I think bumping up to a 4-20 ( or even two) is a good idea.

I ladle cast my HP boolits but use a pair of bottom pours for my 6 bangers when I need 45 or 9mm for a family get together ( first in line for chow at my mom's place can be "competative") LOL.

Basically take a good look at your needs, both current and future, and decide if new molds or more capacity is what you need.

Dale53
01-09-2010, 11:20 PM
I have been casting bullets for nearly sixty years. Get something that will work "tomorrow" when ever you buy.

I started out with a Lyman ten pound pot on my mother's kitchen range. Then I graduated to a Lyman 11 lb bottom pour pot. After I got into real production needs, I upgraded to an RCBS 22 lb pot. I now have two of them. I am a "Certified Old Fart" but can run 700 .45 ACP match quality bullets in an hour with a six cavity mould. I generally only run a pot full (20 lbs of finished bullets) but sometimes will run two pots full before stopping. I enjoy casting because I have reduced the aggravation rate big time with the use of a good bottom pour pot and excellent moulds. That keeps a smile on my face and keeps me casting, reloading, and shooting.

LIFE IS GOOD!

Dale53

Bret4207
01-10-2010, 09:08 AM
After 30+ years of ladling I just started using a BP. IMO Lee's pots are bare bones basic pots with a real tendency to drip, drip, drip, GUSH, drip.... I can't stand that. My ancient SAECO on the other hand is a joy to use. But, I'm not giving up my ladle. Ladles ALWAYS work, BP's just don't. For me at least.

Shiloh
01-10-2010, 10:34 AM
+1 to what heavy metal said.

Volume needs will dictate which method. I have only used a LEE pot for casting. Sometimes they drip, a minor inconvenience. I've seen quality boolits cast from both methods.

SHiloh

bigboredad
01-10-2010, 12:44 PM
my needs? well that's kind of a funny question.First I have ms pretty bad and casting reloading and shooting is a escape for me. High volume is not necessary I just really enjoy turning ugly old wheel weights into something purty and useful. the comment of "get something that will work tomorrow" made me think about the reloading equipment that I've used for the past 20+ years and how that was my thought back then. I'm leaning towards upgrading my molds are Lyman and rcbs a upgrade?

chris in va
01-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I tried ladling for a short time, gave up and bought a 10# bottom pour. Night and day difference. Haven't been casting very long but I know enough when 1/4 of my 9mm's were coming out defective it was time.

FWIW my pot doesn't leak much, and if it does I just turn the rod and it stops. Nice thing about a bottom pour, you can drop a couple muffin ingots in the top, and keep casting.

Echo
01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
I would say that RCBS are an upgrade. Lyman QC is iffy, or so I hear. The RCBS no-sweat guarantee is a plus.

My opinion (worth exactly what you are paying for it!) is that BP pots are best for optimum throughput. I ladles only at the very first, 'way back when I got a Lee kit for a 140 grain .357 SWC. I bought my first BP (used) about 30+ years ago, and use BP exclusively. Tempus fugits, and Echo fidgets, so, although I enjoy spending time casting, I enjoy other things too, and being able to cast a bunch of good boolits rapidly makes sense to me.

Right, my Lee drips a little, but so do my SAECO and my Lyman. I get no heartburn from a little drippiness.

Railbuggy
01-12-2010, 09:00 PM
I gave my brother my old Lee 10#pot and got the 4-20.

bigboredad
01-12-2010, 09:31 PM
thanksfor all the suggestions and opinions I have learned so much from this sight and all the good people on here.

thenaaks
01-13-2010, 12:28 AM
i use the little lee pot and a kitchen ladle bent to a sharp V. with my lee(mented) 2 cav moulds, i can easily cast 300-400 boolits per hour. take the $ and buy some primers and powder.

thenaaks
01-13-2010, 12:31 AM
i think the pot is 4lbs...but hey that's 28000 grains worth of boolits!

dragonrider
01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
If you are trying to decide between a 10 lb. or a 20 lb. pot, go for the 20. I have one of each and the 20 is much better. It even get up to casting temp in less time than the ten.

Gee_Wizz01
01-21-2010, 05:04 PM
I also have both a 10lb and 20lb Lee BP, and I would also recommend the 20lb pot. The 20lb pot drips less and can easily be used with a ladle. My 10lb pot is at least 30 years old and has processed at least a 1/2 ton of lead and still works, so I cant complain, but it does not lend itself to ladle pouring. For the small difference in price go with the 20.

G

Ekalb2000
01-21-2010, 06:21 PM
I did the laddle thing for about a year. Its real good to know how to do properly.
Last weekend I picked up the 20lber. In about 3.5 hrs I cast 650 boolits with a two cavity mold. I am now in the market for a few six bangers.
I thought reloading and casting was supposed to save me money???

mroliver77
01-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I started casting with a ladle then moved to Lee 10lb BP and now have it and 20lbLee BP and 20lb Lyman BP and various pots and pans used for ladle casting. It is nice to mix up a small batch of special alloy for .22 or pure for whatever and not have to drain and restock a pot. For larger production with a ladle one just uses a bigger ladle.
http://www.theantimonyman.com/ladles.htm
I like the rowel and or lyman ladles as you are pouring from the bottom of the ladle instead of the top. More so with the Rowel. I can make boolits pretty fast with a ladle or a BP. I try to keep an open mind about these things and have no allegiance to either method. I can get in the groove with most any method of making projectiles.
Jay

bigboredad
01-21-2010, 11:52 PM
mroliver
I've seen the bottom poor ladles that you are talking about and the look like a very good idea. Right now I'm using a large stainless soup ladle that can hold about 2lbs. on the our side near the top I drilled 3/16 hole It works pretty good and a lot cheaper than the orange and green ones. Thanks for your input