PDA

View Full Version : drip stop mod

Bullshop
05-30-2006, 02:40 PM
Have been doing this slight mod to the RCBS pot to stop dripps. Thought others may like to try. May also be adaptable to other pots. Works good!
The pivot point is reverced so that the spout opens with a downward push on the op handle.
A spring is used to apply constant downward pressure. The adjuster now doubles as a guide rod for the spring.
Total conversion is addition of one spring, and drill one hole in op rod to relocate pivot point. Simple!
BIC/BS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/78e6e58f.jpg

chunkum
05-30-2006, 02:42 PM
good idea!

montana_charlie
05-30-2006, 04:09 PM
As long as heat in the fittings doesn't mess up the temper of the spring, I think that is a great idea. Worried about the 'temper thing' I just added weight to my handle.
CM

Bullshop
05-30-2006, 04:35 PM
As long as heat in the fittings doesn't mess up the temper of the spring, I think that is a great idea. Worried about the 'temper thing' I just added weight to my handle.
CM
MC
I have been using this mod for about a year now and see no change to the spring. I also like the down touch control.
BIC/BS

Springfield
05-30-2006, 07:45 PM
If mine ever starts dripping I might do that mod. 1 year and 30,000 bullets later it hasn't ever dripped. My LEE's sure used to, though!

LET-CA
08-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Have been doing this slight mod to the RCBS pot to stop dripps. Thought others may like to try. May also be adaptable to other pots. Works good!
The pivot point is reverced so that the spout opens with a downward push on the op handle.
A spring is used to apply constant downward pressure. The adjuster now doubles as a guide rod for the spring.
Total conversion is addition of one spring, and drill one hole in op rod to relocate pivot point. Simple!
BIC/BS

Yet another reason why I love this board. My RCBS just started to drip and I found this thread to address my problem. Thanks!

LAH
09-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Very good. The Magma Pot uses the same principle.......Creeker

mattw
12-15-2014, 12:20 PM
So is the stop screw bored out to allow for a pin that moves up and down in it and then the spring is placed over the outside bolt?

3 gun Gus
12-15-2014, 04:55 PM
Oh my! A RCBS pot that DRIPS!

Gus

Garyshome
12-15-2014, 05:03 PM
A little drip is no problem.

mattw
12-15-2014, 09:33 PM
Yeah, mine was made in '84. Rcbs is sending a pot and valve. :)

Sig
12-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Oh my! A RCBS pot that DRIPS!

Gus
Nice first post. Welcome!

odinohi
12-20-2014, 12:23 AM
I use the spring and weight on the handle. Seems to work well. If it drips a little, piece of copper wire to unclog.

1_Ogre
12-20-2014, 08:14 AM
I have a few bottom pours and have always found that some dirt/contaminents in the lead will keep the "DRIPPER" open. I flux and stir to get the contaminates out and don't really have much of a dripping problem, only when the pots FULL and 20lb of molten lead sometimes will dribble, but that's why I have a catcher under the spout, I just recycle what ever dripples out

JSH
12-27-2014, 06:12 PM
I was afraid my rcbs pot was going to need an over haul. It was a steady stream not just a little drip. I bought this used and it had been setting full for quite a while. Got it apart and cleaned some **** out of the spout. Zero drips.
Jeff

747 captain
04-26-2020, 07:10 PM
BIC/BS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/78e6e58f.jpg

Please give me dimension to drill hole.

44magLeo
05-02-2020, 05:17 PM
To bad you use Photo Bucket. That dark stripe across the pic makes it hard to see what you did.
Leo

kevin c
05-04-2020, 12:34 AM
Been almost exactly 14 years since the pic was posted. I don't think PB had switched up on people back then. The mod still looks good though. I'm tempted, but my old ProMelt-1 hasn't leaked so far.

44magLeo
05-04-2020, 04:29 PM
I looked up a pic of an Pro Melt pot so I could see what it looked like set up as stock.
I can now understand what he did. Very clever. An easy way to help remedy some drips.
I think ii might take a bit of getting used to, pushing the handle down to pour instead of lifting up.
On posting pics, I don't use a photo storing site. Never had luck with the few I tried. Once up loaded I never found them again.
I just upload from the My Pictures on my computer.
It works for me.
Leo

LAH
05-06-2020, 09:06 AM
To bad you use Photo Bucket. That dark stripe across the pic makes it hard to see what you did.
Leo

No dark stripe do I see. Wonder the difference?

kevin c
05-09-2020, 11:33 PM
LAH, I'm not sure it makes a difference if the source account for the photo isn't, but do you have a upgraded Photo Bucket account?