PDA

View Full Version : RCBS handles

redneckdan
05-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I just got my first RCBS mold, I already have handles for LYMAN and handles for LEE sixbangers. Niether of these fit the RCBS cause they are too wide. Can either of these be altered to fit the RCBS and still work with their respective original molds?

Bucks Owin
05-30-2006, 02:08 PM
I just got my first RCBS mold, I already have handles for LYMAN and handles for LEE sixbangers. Niether of these fit the RCBS cause they are too wide. Can either of these be altered to fit the RCBS and still work with their respective original molds?

Yeah, I modified Lyman SC handles to fit my RCBS DC molds. Involves drilling a couple holes pretty close to the edge and some judicious grinding back towards the hinge pin....

You CAN make it work, at least the single cav Lyman handles, but I'd like to find some RCBS handles too, that'd be better I think....

Dennis

BTW, the groove in the blocks fits fine on Lyman handles but the blocks kinda "rattle around" in the new holes out on the ends and can let the blocks flip around too far. All in all it's a hassle....

montana_charlie
05-30-2006, 02:11 PM
Niether of these fit the RCBS cause they are too wide.
Do you mean to say that the jaws are too thick to fit in the mould slots...or that the 'stance' is so wide the mould halves don't close right?

Can either of these be altered to fit the RCBS and still work with their respective original molds?
If there's too much metal in the jaws, some can be removed. But the answer to the question above can help decide where to remove it from.
CM

redneckdan
05-30-2006, 02:31 PM
the stance is fine, the jaws are too think. I just got done going to town on the lee handles with a bastard mill file. They fit now, snuggly.

chunkum
05-30-2006, 02:37 PM
I have the large Lee Handles and the RCBS handles. I don't have any RCBS moulds but I have a Mountain mould and some NEI moulds, all of which are designed to take the RCBS handles. The Lees can be modified to accept all of my molds or vice versa depending on how you look at it. What I've found on the Lees is the handles are a little thick for the slots on the sides of the moulds. I solved this with a vice and some judicious filing and fitting. But otherwise, they do OK. The Saeco moulds use a slightly larger side screw than the Lymans and the NEIs but a chain saw file directed toward the thick side of the Lee handles can solve this too. I have a bunch of RCBS handles that I got a deal on and, truthfully, I like them better for everything, even the the single cavity, double cavity and HP Lyman moulds. But the Lees will accomodate any of them if they are fitted to the side slots. I've found that the RCBS handles I have (old ones now) are more precisely made than the Lees. I don't think you'd regret buying the RCBS handles if you find a deal on some.
Best Regards,
Chunkum

Bucks Owin
05-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Too bad the mold (and case trimmer!) manufacturers can't give us a break and STANDARDIZE!!!

grrrrr

Dennis

montana_charlie
05-30-2006, 04:30 PM
I'd like to find some RCBS handles too,

I've found that the RCBS handles I have (old ones now) are more precisely made than the Lees. I don't think you'd regret buying the RCBS handles if you find a deal on some.
For you guys, and anyone else needing good handles (at least they look good), see my group buy suggestion.
CM