PDA

View Full Version : 40 S&W sizer kit?

rtracy2001
01-09-2010, 01:21 AM
I may be crazy, so I though I would ask around here first.

I have been looking at the redding sizer die to remove the "pregnant" bulge from 40 S&W brass fired in Glocks, but it is a bit pricey at $48 for the sizer and another $12 for the bottle adapter. (probably worth it, but I am cheap).

Anyway the thought occurred to me: "would a Lee sizing kit of proper size work?" Lee will make one any size up to .529 inches for $29. That is half the price of the Redding version (with bottle adapter), so if I order one sized at .420 (just large enough for the head to pass through) Wouldn't it be the same thing?

Am I nuts to think it would work, or am I on to something?

Ol' Butch
01-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Another option might be to take a LEE factory crimp die, empty out the guts and push brass all the way trough with a small enough pusher post from a LEE bullet sizer kit.

The factory crimp die has a carbide ring that would let you skip lubing the brass.

I have a bunch of 40 S&W and am thinking of this approach.

Butch

Johnch
01-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Redding makes a push through sizer to get rid of the Glock Bulge

Here is a reveiw
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1326

I have never used one
But I may make one

John

rtracy2001
01-10-2010, 12:58 AM
Another option might be to take a LEE factory crimp die, empty out the guts and push brass all the way trough with a small enough pusher post from a LEE bullet sizer kit.

The factory crimp die has a carbide ring that would let you skip lubing the brass.

I have a bunch of 40 S&W and am thinking of this approach.

Butch

Let me know how it works for you as the post from my .358 sizing kit would probably work.

Would it be better to push the brass through head first or mouth first?

Redding makes a push through sizer to get rid of the Glock Bulge

Here is a review
http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1326

I have never used one
But I may make one

John

Exactly the kit I'm talking about. redding has it on their website for about $60 with the bottle adapter. Your link is a little cheaper, but still way more than a Lee custom sizing kit, or pulling the guts out of a factory crimp die.

shotman
01-10-2010, 02:19 AM
well guys It dont work that way. To do it right you have to do a 2 step process. . 40s and 10mm will 'get bye' with the push through but they are not exact.
Buckshot will make a push through die and it will get 95% of the buldge out. then you need to go to a Lyman die to get it perfect. Lyman is the only one I have used that will get ALL of the buldge out.
You can not size a buldged case on a Lyman die as it will cut the case. I have a S&W 610 and a glock case will not work in them. I sold a set of RCBS dies because they do not size all the way to rim.
Buckshots die works good but you need to run several hundred cases with polishing compound to get it glass smooth.
9mm and 45acp are different cause the rim is larger than case.
they have to go through mouth first. I have been working on about 3000 so I have found out the hard way what will work right
Also watch the brass now Federal makes a Non Tox that has a crimped primer. That is fine if you find them first and remove the crimp but its a mess in a progresive looder if you miss one I dont have the size of the push through in front of me, but its larger than a full sizing die