PDA

View Full Version : Lead apron/vest

Sierra347
01-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Hello everyone, I just started in this great/addictive hobby. I just scored some lead/gold today at a medical school here in town and got about 300#s for 50bucks, mostly pure lead caps they almost look like lugnut covers. I also got about 15 lead vests/aprons, my question is regarding the lead vests, I cut one open and found very thin layers of what I assume is lead although It almost feels like ruber I read somewhere that in some vests they coat some ruber/plastic with lead to make these layers anyone ever melted these? Will I just be burning rubber with no yield?

Thanks

canebreaker
01-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Never heard of them/vest and aprons.
Might of just got your moneys worth on lead.

sagacious
01-09-2010, 01:40 AM
I've been through this one before. Those lead aprons are heavy, but there's no recoverable lead in them.

The shielding layer is-- if they're like the ones I've seen-- a rubber compound that is impregnated with a very fine lead powder. Burning the rubber just makes a horrible mess.

There are fairly straightforward ways to recover finely-divided lead dust, but to the best of my knowledge and experience, the lead/rubber compound in those aprons are not amenable to this process.

Good luck. :drinks:

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2010, 01:40 AM
Never heard of them/vest and aprons.
Might of just got your moneys worth on lead.
We had some. I think they are old X-ray coats.

Bullshop Junior
01-09-2010, 01:42 AM
I've been through this one before. Those lead aprons are heavy, but there's no recoverable lead in them.

The shielding layer is-- if they're like the ones I've seen-- a rubber compound that is impregnated with a very fine lead powder. Burning the rubber just makes a horrible mess.

There are fairly straightforward ways to recover finely-divided lead dust, but to the best of my knowledge and experience, the lead/rubber compound in those aprons are not amenable to this process.

Good luck. :drinks:
We tried also. We threw them in a fire, and recovered little.

Sierra347
01-09-2010, 03:10 AM
I'm glad I didn't just burn them up then I don't think my neighbor would of appreciated it. They aren't as heavy as those at the dentists. I'll just trash'em or give them away.

Thanks

RayinNH
01-09-2010, 07:53 PM
Save them in case of a nuclear attack :kidding:...Ray

sheepdog
01-09-2010, 07:58 PM
Particularized lead burned will make hella bad lead fumes.

canebreaker
01-10-2010, 01:22 AM
About like burning a battery for it's lead.
Use a hammer and knock the lugs off and be done.
That's about all you'll get, in lead.