PDA

View Full Version : rcbs jr orimer catcher?

kyle623
01-08-2010, 09:30 PM
just got an rcbs jr, now how does someone catch the spent primers? is there an attachment i can buy, or a easy made primer catcher?

01-08-2010, 09:38 PM
kyle623,

Go to the RCBS web-site...think it runs about $15. My used JR press is missing the catcher, too, but I'm too cheap to buy one, so I deprime on a Lee.

Duckiller
01-09-2010, 04:48 PM
RCBS have been known to replace broken or missing primer catchers. Only problem is they send black catchers even when the original is green.
Call customer service and ask, the worst thing they can do is ask for money. They haven't done that to me yet, but I try not to abuse their kindness.

01-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Duckiller,

Been thinking about the missing primer catcher for about a year, and this thread piqued my interset again. With your advise in mind, I called RCBS to get the total cost of the catcher, including shipping. One is one the way...at no cost. Amazing!

I have a Lee case trimmer lock stud that is out of round. E-mailed Lee to get the price of a new one. Received an extremely prompt and polite reply with the cost, but not a word about the part being covered by guarantee.

Not knocking Lee, in the least. RCBS is just head and shoulders above them, when it comes to guaranteeing their product. I have a lot of Red (both shades) and Orange products and a few Green. In the future, there will be more Green.

Wayne Smith
01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Well, yeah, except that, on my JR3 the 'primer catcher' only gets maybe 50% of the primers!

beanflip
01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Try this to help out

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47745

Hardcast416taylor
01-13-2010, 11:29 AM
I did the straw tube trick, it wors great for directing the spent ones. I even spit a piece of a straw and place it on the primer arm spring to keep ejected primers from falling behind the spring when depriming brass. I found the large straws from McDonalds work the best.
If you ever come across an old style metal primer catcher - grab it! They go for crazy prices on flea-bay.Robert

01-13-2010, 07:41 PM
beanflip,

Thanks for the link, I'll try that when the catcher arrives.

This is the Lee press setup that keeps the primers from flying about:

Never mind, can't attach the picture.