PDA

View Full Version : looking for a new wheel gun but what? help me pick one, kinda long sorry!

340six
01-08-2010, 09:09 PM
I posted this at one other gun site I go to since looking for opinions as both cater to differant kinds of gun guys
Let me start but saying when the need for a 45acp was at hand the only one {age 16} that was considered was a Colt 70 model
I put down the payment in full and dad ordered me one{yes great dad}
That never happened as the store owner got sick and store was closed for quite some time. When it was reopened was told you can have something in stock so i grabed up a S&W 357 in nickel 6" barrel small frame and the rest of the $$$ in ammo {what # is it lol have to look at it to see and it is picked up at dads place}
Later on at 17 I saved and got a nice 1911 but was an ace still no 45.
Later on got the top half for 45.
As you can see The 357 gave me a whole love for wheel guns autos are nice but all time favorite is a revolver.
What I have as far as wheel guns are:
1)S&W 357 small frame mentioned above
2)Bought up a nice used single six in SS with 22lr and 22wmr
3) A used old style Ruger Bear Cat that was sent in and updated to be safe for my kids with transfur bar.
4}S&W 44Mag 29 classic with 8 3/8" barrel

Yes I have a few or so autos in all the calibers I want so looking for another is not in the picture. Plus hate to list what I own on the net
Looking at something differant in a revolver at least not what the average joe owns

First up just window shopping at Gunbroker is a 45lc and option of shooting acp in it is a major plus.
Even New Real Colts are getting big $$$$ are they realy worth
Looks like lots of Colts are unused and will stay safe queens that are for sale.
What ever I own will get shot Does not matter if it is a safe queen to someone else and never touhed by human hands in the last 50 years I will shoot it sorry!
New SSA's are 2+ times the price of a Ruger but would getting the real thing be better?
Also toss in your $0.02 on other brands calibers ect.
Thanks in advance kevin

docone31
01-08-2010, 09:27 PM
If you can find one,
Ruger Security Six.
Good feel, real strong, fairly compact.

218bee
01-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Boy there are so many choices depending on what ya want it for. In my opinion ya cant go wrong with a 45 Colt in a Ruger be it a Blackhawk, Vaquero or whatever. You can load it for mild target, defense or full house for hunting or whatever. Last year Ruger also made a run in 44 Special another great caliber and very versatile. I've always wanted a Smith 25-2 in 45acp myself. But really personal taste and the main use for it would determine type and caliber. Just my .02.

340six
01-08-2010, 09:43 PM
If you can find one,
Ruger Security Six.
Good feel, real strong, fairly compact.

I never listed the 38spl S&W airweight in SS I have no hammer if need be carried.
And I have a Colt Mustang 380
Would be for shootin fun wondering if I should just get a real Colt 45lc or grab Ruger ect if I go 45lc
a picture of the 44mag
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/bullets/380-44-1_26232909.jpg

BSkerj
01-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I am a big S&W fan...I am currently looking for a nice Model 625 which shoots a 45ACP. I also have a .45 auto heavy frame and, like you, enjoy shooting revolvers more, I would have the best of both worlds with the 625 as far as having the same cartridge for pistol and revolver. I also do the same with my SW 686 L Frame .357, shoot 38spl, 38spl +p, and Rossi lever rifle in .357 and .38. Bottom line...since I can't afford all the firearms that I want, I try and supplement this addiction by trying to take advantage of great cartridges that fit in the firearms that I do have. I think you are on the right track with the .45LC...in fact I may have to check into that option too as far as the accuracy that you would get if you used the .45ACP in it !!

jhrosier
01-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Kevin,
It sounds like you really, really, really want a Colt Peacemaker.
If you can afford it, just go buy it and enjoy it and pass it on to your kids when you are gone.
If you really can't justify the price of a Colt, take a good look at the Ruger New Vaquero.
They are very nearly the same gun in size and appearance.
I have a couple of them and am very satisfied.
The Ruger New Vaquero costs about 1/3 of what the cheapest Peacemaker goes for.

Jack

runfiverun
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
625 with either the 4 or 5" bbls in acp,or auto rim brass.
youll love it.

340six
01-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Guess I am posting wanting opinions from those who own or have owned/shot and know the plus/minus of them
Colt Peacemaker has the non adjustable sights like the Ruger Val***** what ever they call it. Not sure if they will be on target as other types of sights.
Just a guess on my part is
Seems like a whole lot of guns are bought to say I have one or kept locked up like it is the "Grail"
Thats why I am asking is will the old style peacemaker may not be what would serve me as good as a SAA.
Also 7.50" barrel may shoot better than the 5.5??????
Looks like lots of used and new 5.5" on gunbroker not like that is the only option for place to buy but gives me the idea that it is the perfured lenth! Is that a false/true statment????
SS or Nickel is also a plus but not 100% required
I also have no problem shooting a never shot gun that Elvis owned and had the POPE engrave and bless. It is a gun ment to be shot and see some are sold as never shot/no line on cylinder and never turned so not my cup of tea. as it would be on day 1-2 of being mine

BoolitBill
01-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Either a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 colt with a .45acp extra cylinder, or a Ruger new vaquero in .45 colt. I have both and like them a lot. I dont think the Colt SAA is worth the extra cost. Ruger new Vaquero loads and unloads easier, has the transfer bar safety and in my hand feels as comfortable as the colt. Now having said that, if money is no object, this gun looks perfect to me-----------

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=67967&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=50802&isFirearm=Y

earplug
01-09-2010, 12:58 AM
I have had great fun with my three 625's. One shoots Bullseye with a red dot sight. Shoot Steel Challange, ICORE and USPSA with one of the others.
The moon clips are easy to get used to.
I don't own one, but my next choice would be a eight shot 627 with a five inch barrel for shooting games.

OBXPilgrim
01-09-2010, 10:02 AM
I've got a friend that's a big revolver nut. S&W 625 (45ACP) - a couple of them, 610 (10mm), 520 (357 mag- NYSP), 686 (357 mag 8 3/8" w/ red dot)etc. He used to shoot IDPA an keep up with a bunch of the auto boys while using one of his 625s.

He got the Ruger 45LC w/7.5", thought it was to be his new favorite & could not get it to shoot to point of aim. Went to a gunsmith, he bent the front sight & loosened it. Sent it back to Ruger & the replaced the sight - it still shoots 5" left at 25 yards, even after he told them to index the barrel due to shooting left- several of us have fired it, shoots left for all of us.

Last I heard he was going to sell the Ruger & get another 625, although he almost picked up a Dan Wesson 744 with 2 barrel at one of the last gun shows we went to (nice gun).

If you're looking for the "grail" that's still a good 'working' gun - 625, Dan Wesson (any of them, with extra barrels), Colt Python or Diamondback (shooter condition) are a few that come to mind.

bigboredad
01-09-2010, 12:31 PM
the ruger blackhawk is a wonderful choice. they have adjustable sights are very strong and with the acp ammo they feel like you are shooting .22's. I have two of them one in 5.5 barrel and the other is 7.5 and they are both fun but I prefer the 5.5. Another thing to consider is the springs on a original colt and its clones are the flat springs tend to wear out quickly.

Dale53
01-09-2010, 01:03 PM
BSkerj;
I have recently acquired a Ruger SS Bisley Black Hawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP Convertible.

Both cylinders needed reamed (I was able to handle that myself with a Manson Reamer set thanks to a good friend) and it needed a trigger job. After the work was done, I have a single action revolver that will not only shoot at NRA Bullseye match level, but can be safely loaded (Ruger Only) to give me all the power needed for a serious big game revolver when using the equally accurate .45 Colt cylinder.

Here is a sample of the accuracy available with target loads in the .45 ACP cylinder (six rounds at fifty feet off a makeshift rest):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img072.jpg

On the other hand, if you want a double action revolver for target shooting with a secondary role as a possible deer hunting and self defense round, you absolutely cannot beat an S&W 625 in .45 ACP. I have two - a 625-6 with 5" barrel and a 625-8 Jerry Miculek Special with 4" barrel. These two are among the finest revolvers I have ever owned. Here's a much shown picture of the 5" with a Simmons Red Dot Sight:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QDalesRevolversandPistols-1720-1.jpg

Here is typical of how it shoots (standing at 25 yards):

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/img069.jpg

Dale53

c.r.
01-09-2010, 01:14 PM
340six,

Do you reload?

I ask because imo, that would make a large difference on what cartridge I'd recomend. I love the 45 Colt, but I reload. In my area, it's not always easy to find 45Colt on the shelves and they're usually cost a a material amount more than 44 mag. I wouldn't recoment the 45Colt to somebody who does not reload.

JMO,
c.r.

340six
01-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Yes I reload but was also looking at the fact that even used 45lc brass is harder to come buy thus wanting it as a convertable with the 45acp as well

c.r.
01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Yes I reload but was also looking at the fact that even used 45lc brass is harder to come buy thus wanting it as a convertable with the 45acp as well

That is a great plan. Sounds like the 45colt/ACP convertable would fit right in with your growing collection.

captaint
01-09-2010, 01:37 PM
340six - If you really want a SAA look into the US Firearms Premium SAA's. All the calibers, very, very beautifully made & finished. Talk to the folks at Longhunter supply in TX. Very nice people & do great work. Check out the website. I got one a while back in 44spl and let me say - it's a thing of beauty and shoots as good as it looks. Check it out. Talk to Jim. enjoy Mike

Changeling
01-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I had this same decision to make and decided on a Ruger Black Hawk in 45LC.
When Dale 53 talks you should listen he knows what he's talking about.

Echo
01-09-2010, 02:03 PM
If you might be looking for a pedestrian gun for carrying when hiking, or whatever, J&G has (had?) a sale recently on ex-police S&W's (15's & 67's) that were DAO. I got one of the VG+ 67's, put a new hammer in, and have a quality gun with a trigger pull that is outstanding. Chambered in .38 Special, but Hey - for less than $300 I have a quality gun. Looks like new...

eljefe
01-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Get the Colt...they are worth it. I will have a SAA at some point, but content
myself with Uberti clones for the time being. Personally, I prefer the Uberti
over the Vaquero. I do have a Colt 1911 in 38 super, and could have gotten
a Taurus for several hundred dollars less at the time. My friend did just that.
But...mine is a Colt!:-)

BTW, they are available with 4.75, 5.5 or 7.5 inch barrel lengths. I really
like the 4.75, with the 5.5 a close second.

340six
01-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Went to Cabella's and held a few and checked them out the 5.5 Colt SAA was nicer than the rest by far. $1265.00
They said they could get one in 7.5 if need be

StrawHat
01-10-2010, 08:48 AM
If you are considering switching cylinders, get something with adjustable sights. I doubt that going from the 255 grain 45 Long Colt to the 230 grain 45 ACP will print to the same point of aim. If you still want the switch cylinder, Ruger makes (or made them), so does Uberti and USFA. Given those choices, I can afford the Uberti.

If you reload, the S&W 45 ACP revolver would be a good option. Reloaded, the 45 ACP can do anything you need with a 45 caliber boolit. And S&W has been building target revolvers with the 45 ACP cartridge for a long time. Not many target revolvers are built around the 45 Long Colt. There have been a few custom ones I can think of but not many.

Angus
01-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I would say get a Blackhawk in whatever configuration you want, and don't look back. Actually, for about half the price you can get a BFR in 454 Casull and shoot the hottest 45 Colt loads on earth. $1200+ for a new SAA just boggles the mind to me. Carrying all six cylinders in a platform that will take a pile of abuse is really important to me...