PDA

View Full Version : Astra .357

leftiye
01-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I am in receipt of an as new Astra .357 that came to me through my wifes family. It appears that it is a well made revolter that closely follows Smith and Wesson design. The cylinder fit and dimensions mirror those of my S&W model 19. The barrel is nice and smooth.

Have any of you had any experience with Astra revolters? Good or Bad?

Mark
01-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Yes, I have a 357 Astra that was willed to me by my father. I know this gun's history. I know it was not shot much and was not used with heavy loads. It has poor timing and terrible lock up. Basically, it acts like it has been shot loose. My father used to say it was accurate but I can't prove it. I wanted to have the gun repaired because it was my father's gun. I can't find a trustworthy gunsmith willing to make the repair. Good used parts seem tough to find at a reasonable price. The bottom line- I have one example of this gun. It is of poor quality. If yours shoots well, GREAT! But don't over-do it. Good luck.
Mark

Bret4207
01-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I've owned several Astras, still have one. Each was reliable and accurate, if the ergonomics left something to be desired.

Aegis
01-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I have a astra cadix 38. It's well made. I picked it up used from a gun store. It was made in 1968. I've had it for 10 year now. It's the first gun that I started reloading with. i've shot everthing from WC to 170 swc in it. It's a keeper.

anachronism
01-09-2010, 11:12 AM
I had one for about a week. The cylinder would occasionally pop open with full power 357 loads so it didn't stay around very long.