PDA

View Full Version : Marlin action "lengthening" type question

Marlin Junky
01-08-2010, 06:35 PM
I was able to create 2.590" 444 cartridge by using a 306 grain boolit (custom MM mold) with about a .290" meplat, that cycles through the magazine and into the chamber of my 336. The problem is, the cartridge needs an extra shove to coax it into the magazine. I'm not sure at this point where it is making contact and I'll need to create a few more rounds to determine that; however, where is the best place to remove metal so the cartridge slides into the magazine easily?

MJ

Johnch
01-08-2010, 10:39 PM
I wonder if you could convert a Marlin Mag tube to load from the front
Sort of like a 22

Maybe from the end

That would solve the loading port problem

John

Trailblazer
01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I think they bulge the magazine tube in the 45-70's to give the cartridge nose more room to turn the corner.

One of the gunsmiths, Mic McPherson, who does Marlin action lengthening wrote an article for Precision Shooting magazine about how he does the easy part of it. I have it here somewhere. He gains a lot by modifying the ejector and lifter. To get all the way to 2.73" requires reworking the camming surfaces on the lifter and maybe the lever. He doesn't explain that part of it. I would have to find the article but it seems like he may have got the Marlin to feed 2.69" cartridges with just the fairly simple stuff explained in the article.

hornsurgeon
01-09-2010, 11:04 AM
if you find the article, would you be able to scan it and email it?

357maximum
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
My 444 had the same bulge at the rear of the magtube to round out the cornering issue. Maybe find a used mag tube somewhere?

maybe this would work for you? I think this particular one is savage/stevens 58/59/39 series, but it may work??????????????????????

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=153037872

Marlin Junky
01-09-2010, 07:15 PM
I think they bulge the magazine tube in the 45-70's to give the cartridge nose more room to turn the corner.

Trailblazer, I've had my 444 apart a couple times (for action tuning) and I'll bet money that it has a tube bulge; however, that has nothing to due with the 2.59" rounds hanging up at the loading gate. Sorry for not being clear on that.

One of the gunsmiths, Mic McPherson, who does Marlin action lengthening wrote an article for Precision Shooting magazine about how he does the easy part of it. I have it here somewhere. He gains a lot by modifying the ejector and lifter. To get all the way to 2.73" requires reworking the camming surfaces on the lifter and maybe the lever. He doesn't explain that part of it. I would have to find the article but it seems like he may have got the Marlin to feed 2.69" cartridges with just the fairly simple stuff explained in the article.

On the latter part of your post... PM on the way.

Thank you,
MJ

Marlin Junky
01-09-2010, 07:21 PM
My 444 had the same bulge at the rear of the magtube to round out the cornering issue. Maybe find a used mag tube somewhere?

maybe this would work for you? I think this particular one is savage/stevens 58/59/39 series, but it may work??????????????????????

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=153037872

Mike,

Again, the problem is going through the loading gate. I guess I booted that opening post.

MJ

Trailblazer
01-09-2010, 09:06 PM
MJ, I have never worked with a Marlin very much so I don't have a clear idea of what is hanging up. I did modify my 356 Winchester Model 94 to cycle 2.73" rounds so I have a lot better idea of how Winchesters work.

Found the article. It was in the October 1998 issue of Precision Shooting. The first part of the article is about longer loaded rounds in the 45-70 and the last part describes the lengthening process. He was able to feed a max length of 2.675" after the mods. I will see how it scans tomorrow.

John Taylor
01-09-2010, 09:53 PM
I go through the same thing when converting 1886 Winchester to 50-110. You might try painting the cartridge with layout die and see where it is skinned off after it is shoved through the loading gate. On the 1886 the lever has to be cut a little to allow the loading gate to open more. Also sometimes the inside of the frame need to be cut out some on the right side and the mag tube cut a little on the same side to allow the big fat cartridge to make it in. Making the loading gate open more might be all you need.

Marlin Junky
01-09-2010, 09:59 PM
MJ, I have never worked with a Marlin very much so I don't have a clear idea of what is hanging up. I did modify my 356 Winchester Model 94 to cycle 2.73" rounds so I have a lot better idea of how Winchesters work.

Found the article. It was in the October 1998 issue of Precision Shooting. The first part of the article is about longer loaded rounds in the 45-70 and the last part describes the lengthening process. He was able to feed a max length of 2.675" after the mods. I will see how it scans tomorrow.

Thank you Trailblazer,
MJ

Marlin Junky
01-09-2010, 10:01 PM
I go through the same thing when converting 1886 Winchester to 50-110. You might try painting the cartridge with layout die and see where it is skinned off after it is shoved through the loading gate. On the 1886 the lever has to be cut a little to allow the loading gate to open more. Also sometimes the inside of the frame need to be cut out some on the right side and the mag tube cut a little on the same side to allow the big fat cartridge to make it in. Making the loading gate open more might be all you need.

John,

Thank you for the tips.

My wife has old friends in Puyallup. How do you like it up there?

MJ

357maximum
01-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Mike,

Again, the problem is going through the loading gate. I guess I booted that opening post.

MJ

Don

The link...I was suggesting you do not use the loading gate ..weld it shut.....and load it like a 22 tubefeeder. I should have put one of these :kidding: in there....my bad.

Marlin Junky
01-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Don

The link...I was suggesting you do not use the loading gate ..weld it shut.....and load it like a 22 tubefeeder. I should have put one of these :kidding: in there....my bad.

OK, now I get it! :veryconfu

MJ

Windy City Kid
01-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Marlin Junky,

At which point when you are loading the cartridge is it hanging up when are loading it through the loading gate. Is it when the round is 1/2 way, 3/4 way or is it almost through the loading port. Also so when you load the cartridge does the edge of the meplat get a little damaged.

I am a full-time gunsmith and I work a lot on Marlin rifles, if you tell me when the cartridge is hanging up, I might be able it solve your problem for you.

Let me know and I will try to help you out.

WCK

John Taylor
01-10-2010, 01:02 PM
John,

Thank you for the tips.

My wife has old friends in Puyallup. How do you like it up there?

MJ

I wasn't to crazy about the move, wife got a job here and it was closer to the grand kids so I guess it was a good move. Her job didn't work out so it has been a bit of a burden. Not enough sunlight and way to wet for me. We do have a nice place just out of town with a small lake in the back yard. Probably a good thing I'm not a duck hunter. If we could sell the old place it would help. Any one want to buy a house in Toledo, WA?

softpoint
01-10-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure I follow you here? I have run into the problem of the nose of the cartridge not wanting to make it "around the corner" into the mag tube on a .444. The culprits have been, either too long OAL, or too large a meplat, even though the OAL is within spec. I have had this problem ,and the cartridges will not go through the loading gate because of it. My .444 has no "bulge on the side of the magazine tube, but I have a friend who has an earlier model that does, so aparrently they made 2 different tubes for these rifles. I couldn't use the Lee 310 gr. bullet in my. .444 for that reason. The Ranch dog bullet would work, but when crimped in the groove, it is MUCH shorter.:coffee: