PDA

View Full Version : Levergun soulmates - which handgun?

awaveritt
01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
In the spirit of the old west, leverguns and revolvers go together like peanut butter and jelly. What's your idea of a perfect companion to my new Marlin 1894c 357mag.
(pics welcomed and appreciated)

rob45
01-08-2010, 06:31 PM
My choice would most definitely be any of the Ruger Blackhawks (whichever model you're most comfortable with).

Very strong. Makes a good "base gun" for something else down the road.

Modifications are very popular and generally easy to accomplish. There are a plethora of pistolsmiths who specialize on this platform.

Parts are plentiful and available.

Generally holds value well.

Hard to go wrong with a Blackhawk.

.45Cole
01-08-2010, 07:19 PM
A harley and a .45 marlin. Those would be my choices for companionship. rob has it right, for rugged dependability and cheap i would go ruger (and have many times over) I don't know haw strong they are, but USAF looks great, but you wouldn't survive it falling off the harley. Freedom arms ( don;t know if they make .357's but I would love to upgrade to them) would be cool, but costly.

Sprue
01-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Any one of these, probably the ol workhorse in the middle since you state " in the spirit" of things. The 3 screw likes 158g SWC GC's and 7 gr Unique as does the 1894c. Course theres not a thing wrong shoot'n 38Spl SWC's. 38 Specials are just that, around here. Now there ain't nothing wrong with the DA's either.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh266/spilihp_2007/Dscf1233.jpg

johnlaw484
01-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Ruger Blackhawk .357, hands down.

runfiverun
01-08-2010, 10:12 PM
with a marlin, the sp-101.
with a 92 its the flat top, or black hawk.
the usfa's and colts go with a 73.

beagle
01-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Amen on the 4 5/8" Blackhawk .357./beagle

Jack Stanley
01-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Call me the odd man out on the consensus but I think your choice of "K" frame in carbon or stainless would be great . I currently use a 686 as a companion to my carbine and since it's a four inch it isn't to bad , I just like the lighter "K" frame . After all , since the thrty-eights group well in both and I find a magnum load that groups well in both ( next task ) . I can load the carbine with anything but I'll load the revolver with what I like to shoot

If you are following a western theme , by all means pick the hoglaig of yer choice ..... maybe something in a purtty case-hardened frame huh?

Jack

stubshaft
01-09-2010, 10:13 PM
Call me the odd man out on the consensus but I think your choice of "K" frame in carbon or stainless would be great . I currently use a 686 as a companion to my carbine and since it's a four inch it isn't to bad , I just like the lighter "K" frame . After all , since the thrty-eights group well in both and I find a magnum load that groups well in both ( next task ) . I can load the carbine with anything but I'll load the revolver with what I like to shoot

If you are following a western theme , by all means pick the hoglaig of yer choice ..... maybe something in a purtty case-hardened frame huh?

Jack

Your not the only "odd man out". My favorite carry gun while hunting with my 1894C is a 4" K-frame mdl 66.

imashooter2
01-09-2010, 11:06 PM
I prefer double action revolvers as well. Make mine a 686.

kelbro
01-10-2010, 12:31 AM
You couldn't trade me out of my no-dash 586 so if I had a 38/357 lever...

As it stands now, the partner for my 44Mag 1894 is a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter.

Marlin Junky
01-10-2010, 03:15 AM
http://ruger.com/products/vaqueroBlued/models.html

MJ

NickSS
01-10-2010, 05:05 AM
I am of mixed opinions as to a partner for my 357 mag lever gun so I have three of each. I use my Uberti Single action with my 92 clone, I use my Ruger black hawk with my Marlin carbine and I use my Ruger GP 100 with my cut down marlin 94 (barrel is shortened to 16 inches and magazine to a half mag).

Tazman1602
01-10-2010, 05:31 AM
I'm with Marlin Junky on this one.

Just got a New Model Vaquero in .357 a week or so ago and it is NICE! I've never owned a single action before, this is my first. I've got a Taurus DA 6.5" barrel and it is one of the nicest shooting handguns I have. Waiting for a mold for my new .357 to come in before I shoot it. Got some factory loads and gonna see how they shoot tomorrow along with some black powder revolver stuff.........if it's at least in the 20's outside that is...........

Nothing wrong with a Blackhawk and I'd looked at USFA guns too, they are nice, just a bit pricey compared to the Rugers and I've always wanted a SA only. Fit's nice in my original Doc Holliday holster I got from Dillon right after the movie "Tombstone" came out!

canyon-ghost
01-10-2010, 07:19 AM
While the double actions are fine, the single action, like the Blued Model in the center of Sprue's picture, have one distinctive touch. See the loading gate that flips open on the right side, as per just like a toy cap gun? Now that definitely takes a feller back to his roots. I just bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag, love it too. I can cock the hammer fast enough for follow up shots so, don't have any reservations about it.

Four Fingers of Death
01-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I'd be loading that 357 with some serious hunting loads and taking some plinking loads as well. They way I see it, no sense havign two guns that do pretty much the same job. With that in mind, while I just love my big bores (I have 5x45s and 7x44 revolvers), I'd be carrying a 22 for small game and plinking.

Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, if I was in your place, I'd love to pack one of my 44Special USAFs and a nice lever gun.

If there's any walking involved, I don't usually bother with a handgun, I just carry a decent rifle and leave the handgun at home, I'd rather have another waterbottle.

Bret4207
01-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Smith M-19.

Corbi
01-10-2010, 09:24 AM
I'd be loading that 357 with some serious hunting loads and taking some plinking loads as well. They way I see it, no sense havign two guns that do pretty much the same job. With that in mind, while I just love my big bores (I have 5x45s and 7x44 revolvers), I'd be carrying a 22 for small game and plinking.

Nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, if I was in your place, I'd love to pack one of my 44Special USAFs and a nice lever gun.

If there's any walking involved, I don't usually bother with a handgun, I just carry a decent rifle and leave the handgun at home, I'd rather have another waterbottle.

+1 on that.

If you need to carry a pistol with the rifle I would go with a 22.

Maybe a single six?

If I am hunting with a 22 rifle or a muzzleloader I usually carry a bigger backup like a 44.

Corbi

pmeisel
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
My Smith 19 would go good with that. But I wouldn't mind a good single action either. I would particularly like a 357 SA with a birdshead grip..... right after I but the new deer rifle I need!

9.3X62AL
01-10-2010, 01:48 PM
I would need the 1894C to complete the set. Having three 357s and three 38s already on deck, the shortgun portion is covered.

I have no preference of D/A over S/A with the Marlin, but R5R's text about a '73 and a SAA strikes a chord here. A spaghetti repro SAA would look good with my '73 x 44-40. I have both D/A and S/A 32-20 revos to match my Marlin 94CCL, too.

01-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Ya can't get there with a 357 carbine:)
But, since you already have the 357 carb might as well match it up with a 357 handgun.

If $ were no object a Freedom Arms in med barrel length would be THE SA handgun- they are very fine handguns, albeit not a repro of anything.
For budget purposes- one of the repro SAs. Or even a non-repro of anything Ruger.

If I could have a pair of old West soulmates and could have no other guns they'd be originals: Win 73 carbine and Colt SAA in 38-40 or 44-40

Jack Stanley
01-10-2010, 09:53 PM
It's good to hear I'm not the only one who likes a smooth sixty-six "K" frame .

There's lotsa nice single action guns to pick from if that's your flavor , the ones with a case hardened frame get "cool points" in my opinion :)

Jack

countglockula
01-11-2010, 09:20 PM
No tough decision here... I'd go with my 4 5/8" SS New Model Vaquero - feels great on the hip and is scarily accurate with any load I put through it. A close second place would go to the 4 5/8" Blackhawk.

I got a real jones for any single action revolver...

Ron

O.S.O.K.
01-11-2010, 09:35 PM
IMHO, the Ruger Blackhawk - adjustable sights makes it easier to match sights/loads that work in both if that's your aim.

I'd personally go for one of the flattop versions.

Ben
01-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I've got my progressive set up for 38 Special.

It keeps these two feed WELL ! !

Colt Officer's Model Match 38 Spec. & Marlin 1894 CBC 38 Spec.

I've got about a " bazillion " different 38 / 357 Molds.

" Buckshot " just finished HP'ing my Lyman 358429. It is in the mail headed in my direction, should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to cast some with it !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Officers%20Model%20Match/9000-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Marlin%2038%20Special/PICT0006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Marlin%2038%20Special/PICT0001-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Marlin%2038%20Special/PICT0005.jpg

madcaster
01-12-2010, 06:21 PM
May not be completely authenic to the Old West Ben,but dang,that IS NICE!

KYCaster
01-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I agree with 405....you can't get there from where you're at. The 357 chambering puts you into the 1930's, a long way from the old west.

I think the proper companion, considering the cartridge, would be a S&W M27 with six inch barrel or a 38-44 Outdoorsman if nostalgia is a big factor and cost isn't.

If you think the N frames are too beefy to match up with your little '94 then Bret's M19 would be a good third choice.

Although I never could warm up to the Colt's, Ben's Officers Model sure looks nice and is a perfect match with his 38 Spl '94. (BTW Ben, what's that gawd awful looking red thing out there on the end of your barrel? [smilie=1: )

Anyway, that's my opinion...but you're not trying to make ME happy, are you? ;-)

Jerry

pmeisel
01-12-2010, 09:18 PM
That Colt sure is a fine looking revolver, Ben.

Ben
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Jerry :

After using that " fire -sight " for a couple of shooting sessions, I replaced it with the factory Marlin gold bead.

As to nostalgia, that's a big issue these days with a lot of shooters. Nostalgia isn't a big deal with me however. I enjoy a wide variety of firearms. I'm not locked into any particular era.

pmeisel :

It shoots about 2 X as good as it looks....

I ran the s/n on mine, it was made in 1959.

Thanks !

Ben

Sixgun Symphony
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Make mine .44/40!

awaveritt
01-13-2010, 06:11 PM
405:

Ya can't get there with a 357 carbine

I really appreciate all the replies. I agree with 405's assessment but remember, I said "in the spirit of the old west". Since I can't afford decent specimens of authentic old west guns, or offshore replicas for that matter, obviously some artistic license is in order here. To those who said Ruger Blackhawk, I reasonate with that choice since modern Marlins and Rugers aren't really "old west" guns, per se, but do represent the "spirit" of old west guns. Plus the Blackhawk does have the adjustable sights which are necessary for developing loads that are good in both guns.

To illustrate the point, I picked thie attached image off another internet forum which gets close, in my mind although this Ruger is in the longer barrel version.

Of course I've always loved penciled barreled S&W hand ejector models, maybe a pre model 10. Maybe not the old west, but definitely new frontier!!!!

KYCaster
01-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Jerry :

After using that " fire -sight " for a couple of shooting sessions, I replaced it with the factory Marlin gold bead.

Ben

Whew.....had me worried there for a sec. :wink:

Jerry

01-13-2010, 08:53 PM
awaveritt,

Here's a pic of a Marlin 94 and a Ruger Blackhawk, both in 357. Is this the type of visual comparison you were looking for? Old West they aren't.... that was gone by about 1890. :(

The next pic would seem to be of correct vintage but not quite. The Win 73 is old enough but the Colt Bisley barely misses out, being an 1890s model. Both are in 38-40

Whit Spurzon
01-14-2010, 09:26 PM
A pairing I regularly carry afield is a Ruger New Vaquero and a Marlin Mountie.
http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/oodswalkingtools.jpg

Both are "meat makers." The Mountie has probably made more meat than any of my other firearms. I especially like hunting Grouse with it.

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/Pathfinder/ogrousehunting.jpg

With a centerfire rifle ( Marlin 1894 -45 Colt, 1895-45-70, 336 30-30) I typically carry a Ruger Single Six. Though I have some good "cat sneeze loads" for the 30-30 and then 45 Colt Vaquero gets back in the picture. Also if'n I'm camped out where an uninvited guest might poke his nose inside my tent the Vaquero is most likely to come along.

Marlin Hunter
01-14-2010, 11:47 PM
In the spirit of the old west, leverguns and revolvers go together like peanut butter and jelly. What's your idea of a perfect companion to my new Marlin 1894c 357mag.
(pics welcomed and appreciated)

I like raspberry jelly on my Marlin. I think a 357 S&W with 4-5 inch barrel would be a nice combo, unless you want period correct handgun.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&productId=12762&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15705&isFirearm=Y

or a Taurus

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=265&category=Revolver&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=

shdwlkr
01-15-2010, 04:46 PM
s&W model 627 pro shop series gives me 8 in the pistol and 14 in the rifle lots of fun before time to reload.

MakeMineA10mm
01-15-2010, 09:10 PM
405:

I really appreciate all the replies. I agree with 405's assessment but remember, I said "in the spirit of the old west". Since I can't afford decent specimens of authentic old west guns, or offshore replicas for that matter, obviously some artistic license is in order here. To those who said Ruger Blackhawk, I reasonate with that choice since modern Marlins and Rugers aren't really "old west" guns, per se, but do represent the "spirit" of old west guns. Plus the Blackhawk does have the adjustable sights which are necessary for developing loads that are good in both guns.

To illustrate the point, I picked thie attached image off another internet forum which gets close, in my mind although this Ruger is in the longer barrel version.

Of course I've always loved penciled barreled S&W hand ejector models, maybe a pre model 10. Maybe not the old west, but definitely new frontier!!!!

I'm a 44 man myself when it comes to re-living the old west. Of course, I took a different tack and have everything in 44 Russian loaded to be an equivalent of the 44 Henry (but in centrefire, so I could reload it...).

BUT, I like all kinds of guns, and since you've already got your 357 Marlin carbine, AND you want something in the SPIRIT of the old west, I think I have the perfect suggestion for you.

CDNN still has some of the Ruger Blackhawk 50th Anniversary models available, and they're on sale for like $350 or so. It's built on the "retro" smaller frame (same size grip and frame as the Colt SAA), but with Ruger durability and adjustable sights. I think it's perfect for you. Get your FFL to call CDNN tomorrow!

(BTW, I bought a 44 Magnum version 50th Anniversary, and it's awesome. All I had hoped for, even though the sights were set wrong - Ruger fixed it.)

Jack Stanley
01-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Whit , that's a very nice picture of your lead launchers , the backdrop for them is just perfect !

Jack

AKsoldier
01-16-2010, 09:57 AM
If you're not looking for strength for hot loads, and just want a good looking repro, I'd have a look at the Cimarron Model P. I love the color case-hardened look. I bought a used one for my wife in .22 mag and it's about the best looking firearm I own. They are available in all the period calibers, too. The price is not bad either.

Lonerider
01-16-2010, 10:42 AM
n the 'spirit of the West' I 45-70 Guide Gun and a BFR 45-70 revolver (barrel shortened). We have the griz bears here in MT. territory. Handy, especially using horses in the high county.

shdwlkr
01-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Make mine a 10mm
I am looking at custom building a 44 special on a original model 92 action I have laying around, I was going to make it into a 256 win mag but think I will grab one of the newer model 92 replica's and make it off that as the metal will be better.
The 44 special is closer to the pressure levels that the originals were built to and it will be fun to have an original action once again in use.

MakeMineA10mm
01-17-2010, 02:23 AM
Make mine a 10mm
I am looking at custom building a 44 special on a original model 92 action I have laying around, I was going to make it into a 256 win mag but think I will grab one of the newer model 92 replica's and make it off that as the metal will be better.
The 44 special is closer to the pressure levels that the originals were built to and it will be fun to have an original action once again in use.

That sounds like an awesome-fun project!

shdwlkr
01-17-2010, 10:47 AM
makeminea10mm
Only thing holding things up is money and finding a new replica model 92 to start with and when they happen yes it will get real interesting and I will have two more model 92's to play with.

Kragshooter
01-17-2010, 02:23 PM
My new woods walkin setup, .357 Marlin & single six with the mag cylinder. I'm still good to go with iron sights to 100 yds so far. I can handload the .357 a lot of ways and the mag handgun is big enough for pot shots at most things anyway.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq113/ftlupton/WoodsWalkin002.jpg

Lead Fred
01-17-2010, 02:39 PM
In the spirit of the ole west, my Winnie 84 IS my handgun.

I learned many years ago, I cant hit the barn, nor the cow inside with a handgun.

Irascible
01-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Uberti '73 in 44 Special and a 4 5/8" Lipsey's Ruger Flatop in the same caliber.

MakeMineA10mm
01-19-2010, 01:26 AM
In the spirit of the ole west, my Winnie 84 IS my handgun.

I learned many years ago, I cant hit the barn, nor the cow inside with a handgun.

[smilie=l:

20nickels
01-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Since we are "in spirit" I would suggest something lightweight. As much as I like Blackhawks I don't think I would want to lug one along with the rifle for very far. The SP101 is a great choice, but I would prefer a large frame S&W Airweight like a 386.
Not going far, S&W Model 66-1 ;)