PDA

View Full Version : WFN vs WLN by whoever

Changeling
01-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I have been looking and looking at the link someone supplied about beartoothboolets.com

And find it interesting as heck. It is hard in my opinion to make a decision because of a lack of information relative to nose shapes. What do all those nose shapes do, or help me do i should say.

Two in particular are the WFN and the WLN.
Now I know what the WFN can do and it's really awesome but I don't understand the WLN , it's one sexy looking bullet hands down but I can't get what it is supposed to do differently.
It would appear that it is a different weight than the WFN and would need to be driven at a higher velocity, but heck I am just not sure, so, if so what are the best velocity windows?

Why can't they just give us a performance rating for various velocity windows, per projectile, relative to conformation per caliber, weight/meplat.
This was a really good step in the right direction, but lacking in so many things. I sure dont want to sound like a Scrooge but if you are going to sell them, then explain each one.

JudgeBAC
01-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Go to the LBT website where Veral explains the difference between WFN and WLN.

leftiye
01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
The WLN (I believe) has a curved ogive shoulder that enters the forcing cone on the barrel better for better accuracy. The WFNs tend to lose stability at long distances when shot at less than ultimate velocity (due to shorter bearing area, and damage to the shoulder when entering the forcing cone). You might contact 44Man, he shoots WLNs, makes his own molds, and is an all around nice guy who will help you understand this.

NHlever
01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Some of the WFN boolits are difficult to stabilize, particularly from handguns. I did quite a bit of work with the Lee 45-300 for example, and it would stabilize at 100 yards when driven hard out of my 24" rifle in .45 Colt, but would keyhole at 75 yards from my handgun with the same loads. The WLN, partly because of their smaller meplat will stabilize at a lower velocity, and at a longer range. Now this may not be true with boolits designed by other folks than the ones I tried, but I do think that is the general feeling.

outdoorfan
01-08-2010, 09:26 PM
The WLN, partly because of their smaller meplat...

I think the WLN & WFN share the same meplat size.

As an aside, perhaps the WLN has more of the nose of the boolit seated outside of the case, allowing for more powder capacity?

44man
01-09-2010, 01:52 AM
The WLN has a little smaller meplat. I shoot both it and the WFN at long range for fun, out to 500 meters. Both are accurate and I see neither go unstable at any range. I think something else is at work if they do. The WFN just has more drop but at hunting ranges to a little over 100 yards, there is no difference to speak of.
Either one is deadly on animals.
The velocity is the same for both unless one weighs different so load work is always in order for what you buy. Load ONLY for accuracy and forget searching for speed. Your twist rate dictates the velocity for the boolit weight you choose. For instance my BFR .475 uses 26 gr of 296 with a 420 gr boolit but Whitworth's converted SRH and a Freedom needs 1/2 gr more powder because the twist is slower in them.
Heavy boolits do not work good with real light loads of fast powder but HS-6 can make very accurate loads in the larger calibers.
I don't think you can make a mistake with either style boolit or a RNFP like the Lee boolits. Get sexy and go for the pretty one! :drinks:

Changeling
01-09-2010, 03:02 PM
The WLN has a little smaller meplat. I shoot both it and the WFN at long range for fun, out to 500 meters. Both are accurate and I see neither go unstable at any range. I think something else is at work if they do. The WFN just has more drop but at hunting ranges to a little over 100 yards, there is no difference to speak of.
Either one is deadly on animals.
The velocity is the same for both unless one weighs different so load work is always in order for what you buy. Load ONLY for accuracy and forget searching for speed. Your twist rate dictates the velocity for the boolit weight you choose. For instance my BFR .475 uses 26 gr of 296 with a 420 gr boolit but Whitworth's converted SRH and a Freedom needs 1/2 gr more powder because the twist is slower in them.
Heavy boolits do not work good with real light loads of fast powder but HS-6 can make very accurate loads in the larger calibers.
I don't think you can make a mistake with either style boolit or a RNFP like the Lee boolits. Get sexy and go for the pretty one! :drinks:

Load for accuracy and forget about speed. I want to do both with one bullet, I would like to find a very accurate loading in the 11 to 1200fps range and another at a higher velocity so I can experiment some. I know that the difference in trajectory is hardly anything out to 100 yds so I am not worried by that at all.
With a longer bullet and higher BC (though a small difference) trajectory can really add up at 2 to 500 yds. The twist rate will be Ruger's standard of 1 in 16 for the 45 LC. Even though this could necessitate a change for very light or very heavy/long bullets outside of certain ranges relative to a given caliber.
I was just interested in the WLN because the added length should fly a little better and penetrate a little better. However what I don't know is it's stability at say 1000 to1100fps. Some projectiles do to twist rate and bullet weight must be pushed really hard to get/remain stable. Not to mention it's a heck of a lot sexier and sexy always outperforms :lol:

BOOM BOOM
01-09-2010, 04:19 PM
hi,
GOOD TREAD ! EXCELENTANSWERS ABOVE.
The Seaco heavy Sil. bullets might also fit in this group. They are of the RNFP.
Also the Ranch Dog bullets. You might take a look at them.

Changeling
01-09-2010, 07:07 PM
hi,
GOOD TREAD ! EXCELENTANSWERS ABOVE.
The Seaco heavy Sil. bullets might also fit in this group. They are of the RNFP.
Also the Ranch Dog bullets. You might take a look at them.

Thanks, but they are not even in the running.

44man
01-10-2010, 12:13 AM
My heavy boolits, 335 gr, etc, are running about 1160 fps with 21.5 gr of 296. And 14 gr of HS-6 works mighty fine with the Lee 300 gr boolit.
I have a boolt, PB, that shoots great from a home made mold too. Bring lead, cast a bunch and see if you like them.

Changeling
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
My heavy boolits, 335 gr, etc, are running about 1160 fps with 21.5 gr of 296. And 14 gr of HS-6 works mighty fine with the Lee 300 gr boolit.
I have a boolt, PB, that shoots great from a home made mold too. Bring lead, cast a bunch and see if you like them.

That comment about powder brought up a question Jim, In the 44 Mag I was using 2400 ( I had just started trying 296), However if I go to 300 gr bullets at 1200 fps give or take I'm unsure about the 296 or the 2400 for that matter because I don't know what load areas these to powders occupy. In other words is 1200fps/300gr bullets require heavy loads or what of either of the above powders.

Also I really need a good powder for reduced loads would that be an area for HS-6?

It appears the Revolver bullets are similar to rifle cases, usually optimum accuracy occurs at a near case capacity, bulk speaking, but not really sure.

Reason for asking now is that I want to start keeping my eyes open for the correct powders.

44man
01-10-2010, 10:15 PM
That comment about powder brought up a question Jim, In the 44 Mag I was using 2400 ( I had just started trying 296), However if I go to 300 gr bullets at 1200 fps give or take I'm unsure about the 296 or the 2400 for that matter because I don't know what load areas these to powders occupy. In other words is 1200fps/300gr bullets require heavy loads or what of either of the above powders.

Also I really need a good powder for reduced loads would that be an area for HS-6?

It appears the Revolver bullets are similar to rifle cases, usually optimum accuracy occurs at a near case capacity, bulk speaking, but not really sure.

Reason for asking now is that I want to start keeping my eyes open for the correct powders.
2400 is a good powder but a little faster then 296 and a lot dirtier.
Never download 296 or H110 below listed starting loads.
For a 300 gr XTP I use 20.5 gr of 296 but for cast you can go to 21.5 gr.
I never tried HS-6 in the .44 but it should work fine as will Unique but you will have better luck with lighter boolits for reduced loads.