PDA

View Full Version : Sticky bullets

Wally
01-08-2010, 05:00 PM
I have noticed when casting Keith style bullets that often they will stick and when you give the mold handle hinge a tap, to get them to release, some will come out with deformed front driving bands...the leading edge will hold onto the mold and pull the driving band away from the bullet body enough to see a small crack at the junction. In my experience the only thing I can do to mitigate this is to wait for too long a time to let it cool enough before I attempt to "dump" the bullet. Perhaps somebody else has a better way? I am tempted to polish out the appropriate area in the mold to see if it helps. Lately the 429215 gives me the most problems...as does the 429244...however I don't have this problem with RCBS molds, only the Lymans.:violin:

JSnover
01-08-2010, 06:18 PM
How hot are running your pot? It shouldn't take long for the boolit to cool enough to release without being torn up. Have you tried lapping the mold?

Wally
01-08-2010, 06:21 PM
I use a Lee pot and run it at about 1/2 way on the dial--enough to preevent spout freeze. I have not lapped the molds. When stuck, it takes a good minute for them to drop and I use WW metal. Seems to do this when the mold gets to a certain temperature--when cooler, it is not a problem.

mooman76
01-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Seems to me you answered your own question. Run it cooler. Some people use a smal fan to cool the mould quicker or just try turning your pot down a tad.

MtGun44
01-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Sir,

You seem to be opening the mold too soon, or running it too hot. It sounds like the
boolit is still semi-solid and is breaking as it releases from the mold. Inspect for any
burrs with magnification. Sounds like you are fixing the problem, but if it won't go away
you can lap the cavities to improve dropping.

Also, a minor point, but we are all about technical details of boolit designs here . . . .

The 429215 and 429244 are Thompson designs, not Keith designs.
Elmer actually saw no need for gas checks and did not use them in his designs.

Bill

01-08-2010, 09:34 PM
MtGun44,

I noticed the incorrect designer, too. Thanks for pointing it out.

Edubya
01-08-2010, 10:42 PM
How about doing the "Bruce Speed system", have a sponge soaking with a towel over it to cool the sprue between casts.
EW

Wally
01-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Will try the Bruce Speed System.. Yes, I understand that the bullet design is not an official Keith one, as they use gas checks... however to me they are the same design as a Keith bullet; they just use a gas check.

WHITETAIL
01-09-2010, 09:24 AM
I would say that you should lap your mold.
You would be suprized how much better
the boolets fall out of the mould.[smilie=w:

MT Gianni
01-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I had a problem with a group buy mold hanging up. A number 2 pencil helped to go over all the areas of the cavities with the graphite then burnish it in with the wood.

Wally
01-10-2010, 10:06 AM
I used the Bruce speed method and it worked just fine. Next time I will try the pencil trick.