PDA

View Full Version : Why do we slug from the muzzle??

gray wolf
01-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Seems it would be easier to go from the back. Talking bout my 45 acp springer.
I can't believe I don't know this. So I will sit down and listen.:coffee:

Thank you men

GW.

StarMetal
01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm not sure what you mean "from the muzzle" but I can tell you this. You should slug both the breech and the muzzle separately and the reason for that is the muzzle is the last part of the barrel that the bullet passes through. So if bore is fatter at the muzzle then the breech (which the bullet has been sized down passing through) the bullet will be loose going through the muzzle and accuracy won't be so great. So you size both separately to compare them. Ideally they should be the same or better yet a little tighter at the muzzle then the breech. Another reason is if one is smaller then the other you can't get a good representation of your overall bore dimensions. When I say bore I mean both the groove and bore measures which the groove being the more important.

gray wolf
01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
now I am totally confoosed here. I have always read and been told to drive a lead slug down the bore from the muzzle. I see your logic .

GW

BABore
01-08-2010, 04:34 PM
You can drive it from either end if you want. At least on the one that you drive all the way through. Then drive a second slug into the muzzle end only til it's just below flush. Then drive it right back out from the breech end. Not only are you trying to determine groove/bore size, but also, as mentioned above, to see if you have any constrictions. The muzzle only slug you just drove in past flush should always be smaller than the one you drove fully through. If it's not, then the effect is similar to shooting an undersized boolit.

MtGun44
01-08-2010, 08:14 PM
The idea of measuring the muzzle diam is because some guns have a larger diam at the
muzzle than elsewhere. Generally this is bad (and at some level, catastrophic) for
accuracy. Ideal is a tad bit of choke at the muzzle. But then again the people in hell want
ice water, too. In both cases, you're not likely to get it very often. We are pleased with
the same diameter all the way to the muzzle.

Bill