PDA

View Full Version : Webley "manstopper"

3006guns
01-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Quite a few years ago, I remember reading an article titled "Recreating the Webley Manstopper" or a similar title. Of course the article got lost over time and I'd sure like to get some similar info. Has anyone seen or have knowledge of how this big hollow point was "recreated"?

45 2.1
01-08-2010, 09:41 AM
The original design is listed in the British Militaria forums. Since it has matching hollow cavity point and base, it must be swaged to get the final shape. Buckshot made me a swaging setup to do that several years ago. Contact him...............

3006guns
01-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks, I'll do that. After looking at pics on the internet it became obvious that a simple mold wouldn't work too well.

Might make for an interesting project!

ddixie884
01-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Hornady makes a muzzle loading bullet that is A HBHP it weighs 285 grs and is .458, they call it a great plains muzzle loading bullet. It is pretty soft with a natural lube.

Harry O
01-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Quite a few years ago, I remember reading an article titled "Recreating the Webley Manstopper" or a similar title. Of course the article got lost over time and I'd sure like to get some similar info. Has anyone seen or have knowledge of how this big hollow point was "recreated"?

It is in the Cast Bullets Supplement No. 1 on page 19. They used one of the Lyman composite bullet moulds. That is the one that comes in two parts so you can have a soft nose and a hard base (outer portion). The guy used a Lyman #452626 and modified the hollow point on it to give enough weight (the locking screw was moved downward). This lengthened the bullet by 0.235" and increased the weight to 232gr.

Then he reversed it so that the huge cup was forward. Cast with 50/50 WW/lead, fired from a .45 AR revolver, it expanded about 50% at 689fps; expanded about 100% at 767fps; expanded almost flat and started flaking away at 876fps. Fired at 921fps, the bullet was in 5 or 6 pieces, lost a lot of weight, and would probably not be as effective as slower ones. There are pictures of this.

He said he also did experiments with the .357 mould (Lyman #358624) and the results were similar. He notes that you can modify the length to get any weight you want.