PDA

View Full Version : Gas check tool

MonkeeDude
01-08-2010, 04:07 AM
I am looking for some way to get a gas check tool. I was wondering if anyone knows how to get one? I know they make them I just can't get my fat fingers on one. Any info would be helpful. Thanks. :lovebooli

JeffinNZ
01-08-2010, 04:30 AM
Search "Freechex" on Ebay.

Lead Fred
01-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Or order one from the guy on this board, and wait a half a year or more for a really well made one.

mcskipper
01-08-2010, 09:45 PM
There is a guy out there with a web sight patmarlin specialty products

I make my own so I don't know anything about him.
I do like his way of doing things. (using a reloading press)

The freeChex way of doing things uses a hammer driven system. Not the best way, but cheep.

Outdoors
01-09-2010, 05:39 PM
MD,
I've got a spare FreeChex in 30 cal, it has been used to make maybe 50 chex. Charlie made me one for 303 (which I can use for 30 cal), so this one is a spare. PM me if this is of interest.

Pat

Ajax
01-09-2010, 06:12 PM
i have been looking into getting one my self but i want to know is are they worth it . I mean are they ready to go or do they need to be reworked.

Andy

mcskipper
01-09-2010, 06:50 PM
FreeChex;
The forming die is very well made and should last a VERY long time.
The disc punch is the place to be careful.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-09-2010, 10:58 PM
Welcome to the forum. The freechex version of a GC making tool goes for around $30. That is also about what you would pay for a thousand of the Hornady or Lyman checks. So if you plan to make a thou on your own you can get your money back and after that you will be forever ahead. Don't worry about whether the Freechex kit will last; its all well hardend steel and mine is still working as well as the day I got it. Its been feeding my M-1's, 30 carbs, 03's and 03-A3's and 30-30's for a long time now. There are a number of choices as to the material you could use for the checks; do a search and you'll find lots of info/suggestions. LLS

HamGunner
01-09-2010, 11:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tGILrIm3xM

Charlie now has out the FREECHEX II that does not require a separate disc punch. I have a .225, 6.5mm, and .30 and they all work great. I will never wear them out. But he also has another one coming.

Charlie will hopefully be selling the above new one punch tool soon.