PDA

View Full Version : Pointy boolits?

looseprojectile
01-08-2010, 01:27 AM
I bought a Lyman mould a few months ago. It is a 457658 CV.
480 grain plain base. The nose is .450 and engraves slightly when lightly crimped on the front band. The body diameter is .458 as cast with 20 to 1. Does anyone have any experience with these? Is there anything special I should do when loading them?
I loaded five with 73.5 grains of 2F and will shoot them in the old 45 70 Navy arms Pedersoli Roller.
First black powder loads I have made in years. Gonna take a cleaning rod and patches and soapy water with me when I shoot em.

Life is good

RMulhern
01-08-2010, 01:34 AM
"soapy water with me when I shoot em."

Hmmmm....a 'carry over' from shooting ML!!

Soapy water....you don't need!!

looseprojectile
01-08-2010, 01:56 AM
I am more concerned with the brass. And it is only about 75 feet to the shooting bench to carry a jug of water. I use hot water. I only have five to shoot and I will try to not wipe between shots and see how it goes. I am mostly interested in whether these boolits can be expected to shoot well as some designs don't.
I have one 45 caliber boolit that has never shot good in any gun with any load.
Surprisingly it was made by Lee.

Life is good

NickSS
01-08-2010, 05:27 AM
A lot of my friends take a jar of water with some dish washing liquid to the range to soak there brass in after firing. I have never bothered to. I deprime them and dump them in hot water to soak when I get home. After about 15 minutes (while I clean and oil my rifle) I swirl them around and flush them a couple of times and then put them on a rack to dry. They never get spotless but the fouling does not build up. As for wiping the bore I spit on a patch and push it through. My bore shines after that.

01-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Well,
The soapy water will work fine to swab and clean the bore. Not unlike other BPCR swabbing methods. The 73.5 gr of FF is interesting!!! Is it blackpowder or substitute? Don't know how to get 73.5 of FF BP in that case? As for that bullet..... I have not shot that one but have shot a very similar one. Not the best results for me after trying several loads in a Sharps. Mileage may vary. Tips for loading.... might try a card wad between powder and bullet base with light compression.

cajun shooter
01-08-2010, 01:17 PM
A very good case cleaner is the following ingredients. A bucket with lid that will hold at least a gallon.
1/2 gal of water
2oz of Dawn or Palmolive that contains OXY
2oz of Pine Oil
2oz of Lemon Juice Concetrate
I throw all my cases in this at a shoot and put it in the back of the truck for the ride home. When you open this it will be black and stink like all get out. My wife gags when she is around it. Rinse all your cases very well with cold water. They will be black and spotty but don't worry. If you have a tumble type tumbler with ceramic and a touch of Dawn added they will look like new inside and out after about 3 or so hours. If you have a vibatory tumbler with most any media they will clean up nice but not as well as the ceramic. Later David

montana_charlie
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
When you open this it will be black and stink like all get out. My wife gags when she is around it.
Ain't that tough to understand?
My wife poked her nose in my loading room a few days back, when I had just opened the margarine tub some cases were soaking in.
She complained that the smell makes her stomach feel shakey.

Compare the odor from the soaking cases with the stuff women put on their hair when getting a 'permanent'.
I see little difference.

To me, beauty shops smell the same way...all the time.
I think the secret is how many women are in the room, and the 'liveliness' of the conversation.
I believe that constantly trying to butt in on each other prevents the gag reflex.

CM

Boz330
01-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Somebody here said that they spray Balistol around the door frame of their Man Cave just to keep the wife out. Makes a great wife repellent.

Bob

looseprojectile
01-17-2010, 05:16 PM
Just shot the five black powder loads.
Group is two and three quarters inches at one hundred yards. Round group and two touching.
Now to press on with primer wads and base wads. I think I will be able to get 70 grains in and lightly crimped with the wad under the boolit.
The boolit weighs 490 grains and is 1.404" long. I don't know what the as cast diameter is but it sizes to .458 nicely. Might go to .459" to get a snug fit in the case.
I loaded these without sizing the cases and just crimped enough to keep the boolit from falling out, it is a good fit. Fired empty cases fall right back in.

Shooting black powder just might catch on.

Life is good

Southern Son
01-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Looseprojectile,
What is your intended use of these loads? BPCR Silhouette, Creedmore, Hunting or what? I am just curious. You are off to a good start with a sub 3 inch group, now starts the frustrating bit, fine tuning and long range testing (if that is your goal).