PDA

View Full Version : Question for you folks making checks....

41mag
01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
I have access to quite a bit in linear feet of copper sheeting approximately 2" wide, and running somewhere right around .002". Is this of any use for making checks out of or is it too thin?

If it is of use or can be used would anyone possibly be interested in some? If so either shoot me an e-mail or PM. Might not check either for a day or so, so be patient.

RayinNH
01-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Are you sure on the number, that would be foil, could it be .020?...Ray

JeffinNZ
01-08-2010, 04:31 AM
2 thou is too thin and 20 thou is too thick in my experience.

kelbro
01-08-2010, 08:27 AM
.002 could be good. It could be stacked to fit most any size gas check shank.

41mag
01-08-2010, 08:30 AM
Well here is the deal. I got the cut-offs from some high voltage 5KV cable, they put in where I work. It has the outside sheath, then a wrapped copper strip, then the semi-conductor cover, and then the core wire.

I wasn't sure, but thought it might be too thin, but figured before I rolled it up and squashed it all, I would at least ask to see, then possibly do some swapping.

I checked it again with a set of calipers, but still thickest I could get was .002 - .0025, so probably more like foil. I would have been disappointed finding out I had just scrapped a BUNCH of stuff that someone else might have used, so had to ask, as this was the first thing that came to mind.

Oh well, it's still suitable for "bright and shiny", maybe #1, so I guess it's not a total waste.

.002 could be good. It could be stacked to fit most any size gas check shank.

Well, if anyone is might be interested in a roll to see, shoot me a note. Like I said I got some rolled up already, that I saved from the last few pieces. Had a lot more that already got squished, and still have some to go. Figuring it about 10' long per roll or so avg. and 2" wide.