PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro Question about flow control

357shooter
01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Hi,

I just unpacked my casting equipment, picked up my first 50lbs of wheel weights, smelted (wow, that's nasty) and then cast some 38 cal 148 wadcutters using a Lee 6 cavity mould. I'm an optimist with the 6 cavity...

I'm a bit confused about how the flow control screw and the valve rod work together (if they do). Things seem to be going well, then no flow. I adjusted the screw and all was well. In messing with the screw I ended up with a steady flow I couldn't stop for awhile.

Does that screw need to engage the valve rod or does it raise above it at times? They seem to have disengaged.

Also, the first bullets dropped at 358, some at 359. I'm using WW with 2oz of tin (addes leadless solder). I had turned down the temp a bit at first then cranked it all the way up, FYI. How can I get a little more diameter? Keep it all very hot and make sure the mould is very hot? Add more tin?

Thanks for any help you can provide. Learning session #2 is tomorrow night.

docone31
01-07-2010, 08:14 PM
The valve rod screw keeps the rod from going too far upwards. You will have to play with it to get optimum adjustment. Untill the screw rusts, it will move around.
Keep the heat up, six the tin unless it is needed.
Good luck.

RayinNH
01-07-2010, 08:26 PM
prgallo, the adjustment screw is supposed to ride in the slot in the flow rod. It won't of course. Take some fine wire and wrap it around those two parts to keep the screw head in the slot. Welcome aboard this mad casting train :mrgreen:...Ray

357shooter
01-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks, the tip about using the wire makes sense. I like Lee products but they do require some tweaking sometimes.

On the tin, will no added tin help with diameter or is it really a function of getting it all hot enough? How will I know if I need it is I guess the real question.

Thanks for the welcome and the help.

RayinNH
01-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Consistent temperature will help with the diameters being the same. The tin should be a last ditch effort for helping in fill-out. Tin helps for moulds that have a lot of features (multiple lube grooves), raising the heat on the pot also helps with that. WW should be just fine all alone for your application...Ray

DLCTEX
01-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Two ounces of tin to how much alloy? If that's two ounces to a pot, you are wasting tin. Two ounces to 100 lb. may be enough.

357shooter
01-08-2010, 09:58 PM
That was 2 ounces added to 10 lbs of WW. I figures that should total to 2% tin which seemed to be kind of standard, 2-3% would be the range that my searching indicated would be good.

Seems like many folks don't use even that much tin though.