PDA

View Full Version : See if I can stump this forum Origins of Magma and ballisticast?

Bam_bamm
01-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi all,
Does anyone here know the history and/or origins or magma engineering and ballisticast?

Hoping for some details. Thanks.
Bam_bamm

deltaenterprizes
01-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Having owned 3 Magma Lubsizers and 3 Magma Casters and one Ballisticast caster I can tell you that Magma was around before Ballisticast. The lady at Magma told me that Ballisticast was using Magma molds to sell their machines when he first started.
Magma is a side line of another business.

mastercast.com
01-08-2010, 02:04 AM
BallistaCast was first with a commercial machine.(As far as I know.) They(Dennis, can't recall his last name right now)made a machine that ran four, two cavity molds...way to much heat in that machine! Loud as Hell! Ear damaging!

Magma developed a machine that ran eight, two cavity , molds. Much cooler to run, much quiter, etc..

BEST MACHINE OUT THERE!

Mike

mastercast.com
01-08-2010, 02:28 AM
Magma Enginerring does bullets....casting machines, lube/size machines, etc.

Ballista-Cast, Now owned by folks that do "Plastic Extrusions" as their primary business, have no clue how to deal with their "NEW" business.

They are the new owners of "Hensley and Gibbs' molds. They are **** as far as I am concerned.

jdgabbard
01-08-2010, 07:14 AM
They are the new owners of "Hensley and Gibbs' molds. They are **** as far as I am concerned.

They may own the name, but I'll guarantee you they don't own the molds since they haven't been made in ages... But if they were to come out with some of the old school Armory molds that are up to par then I'd buy one...

If I'm not mistaken, which I very well might be, I believe that they are a Tx based company. Somewhere on the NE corner if my mind is working. But I'm too lazy to confirm this so take it for what it is...:coffeecom

jameslovesjammie
01-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Ballisti-Cast started in 1982 in Minot, North Dakota by someone in the Niess family...Peter, I think. Don't know him. Never met him. Don't even know where the business is located.

Lloyd Smale
01-08-2010, 08:27 AM
dont know about there casting machines. Ive got freinds that use there auto sizer and like it. Ive delt with them on a few custom molds and they have bent over backwards to help me. Personaly i cant say enough nice things about there company. QUOTE=mastercast.com;771554]Magma Enginerring does bullets....casting machines, lube/size machines, etc.

Ballista-Cast, Now owned by folks that do "Plastic Extrusions" as their primary business, have no clue how to deal with their "NEW" business.

They are the new owners of "Hensley and Gibbs' molds. They are **** as far as I am concerned.[/QUOTE]

Harry O
01-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I bought a mould from Ballisticast about 2 years ago. It was an impressive hunk of metal. The sprue plate alone weighs about as much as an entire Lyman mould. It casts well. I have no complaints with them.

deltaenterprizes
01-08-2010, 12:05 PM
There was another guy that made machines in California that used 10 two cavity molds with ejector pin made into the molds called John's Machine Shop in the late 1980s. Molds were very expensive. Ballisticast machines are about the same noise level as Magma. I used to run 2 Magmas and a Ballisticast at the same time in a 12'x12' room, they all made noise. I think Magma now has the option of pneumatics to replace the electrical solenoids to make them quieter.

Texasflyboy
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM

A clarification:

Wayne Gibbs sold Ballisticast all of his tooling when he decided to retire in 1999. That's all. He explicitly stated that the "Hensley & Gibbs" brand name was not included in that sale. The name is not for sale, nor will it ever be. Ballisiticast got the machines, tools, cherries and designs for what they paid.

The quality, reputation, and skill in "Hensley & Gibbs" was in George Hensley, James & Wayne Gibbs.

mastercast.com
01-09-2010, 01:24 AM
Ballisticast was owned by Dennis?.

Pieter Niess(NICE...not hardly) is the new owner, along with his wife, Mariah...or perhaps his girlfriend. They do Plastic Extrusion...they bought BallistiCast, for reasons only known to them. The last time I spent money with them, they did not have a clue what they were doing with cast bullets.

jameslovesjammie
01-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I don't know as I have never done any business with them. I am just in the same town.