PDA

View Full Version : My Best Rib Roast Ever!!

Typecaster
01-07-2010, 03:41 PM
We have a family tradition of having a standing rib roast, Yorkshire puddings, etc. for Christmas Eve dinner before the late church service. Wanting a medium-rare roast that’s pink to the edges, low-temperature roasting is the way to go. And since I’m a cheap SOB, I just get the grocery store standing rib roast (which is why it isn’t “prime” rib)…but I dry age it for 9 days (optional). So this isn’t as much a recipe as a technique.

When I first dry-aged one about 10 years ago, it was a hit. You can cut it with a fork. But the timing when roasting at 200ºF seemed unpredictable, and there were a couple of times I had to turn up the heat because of the time factor. I’d always just roasted it at 200 until the thermometer said it was at 130—but it sometimes made for a long cocktail session. The last couple of times I’ve tracked the internal temperature of the roast at roughly half-hour intervals—both a 3-rib roast and a 4-rib roast took the same length of time to reach the same temperature (because the variable is the length, not the cross section). As I monitored the temperatures I realized that the time/temperature curve was going to be the same—a sigmoid curve (gradual change, then a straight-line section, then gradual change). I can now repeat the roast, no matter how many ribs, and calculate when to put it in the oven to have it ready at any specific time.

Dry-aged standing rib roast—
When standing rib roast are on sale, I always pick one from the SMALL end. The small end has less fat, more meat. This year, I went for 4 ribs, about 10 lb. The market only had 3-rib roasts in the case, and when I explained to the butcher what I wanted to do, he cut 3 4-rib roasts and picked the best one for me. Don’t have the butcher cut the roast free of the bones or trim any fat, but ask to have it tied or if you can have some string to tie it yourself.

To dry age it, all you need is refrigerator space. Unwrap the roast, put it on a tray to catch any drips, and put it the refrigerator (approx. 38-40ºF). I always let my beef roasts (standing rib or sirloin) age 9 days. It will look like road-kill, but you shave of the scabby-looking crust (I know, it’s just jerky, but it’s unseasoned) and let it start to come to room temperature about 2 hours before roasting. The meat will be a rich, dark red. (The photo of the trimmed roast shows the trimmings at right.)

Low-Temp Roasting—
Season the roast with salt & pepper. SLIGHTLY brown all sides and the ends quickly over high heat—I usually use my big CampChef stove and a #14 cast iron skillet for a 3-rib roast; the 4-rib had to be done in a roasting pan. This should only take a 4-5 minutes, but can be very smoky. I win points when I do it outdoors.

Put the roast on a rack in a roasting pan, ribs down. Roast at 200ºF until internal temperature reaches 130 for medium rare. Remove from oven and cover with foil—it will NOT coast (increase) more than 1 or 2 degrees with this technique. Increase oven temperature to 425ºF, and when it reaches that temperature uncover the roast and return it to the oven for 5-10 minutes to brown the sugars and juices that have come to the surface. This may increase the temperature 1-2 degrees. Now you’re done! It isn’t necessary to let it sit to distribute the juices (they don’t migrate to the surface very much at low temperature), you can slice it immediately, or wait.

The Downside…

Yes, there are a couple, actually.
1. There’s hardly any pan drippings. If you are expecting an au jus, you’re SOL.
2. Same goes for fat. If you want fat for Yorkshire Puddings (we do), you’ll need to render it separately. The butcher has been good about comping extra fat when asked.

Best,

Richard

SciFiJim
01-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Looks like a feast fit to celebrate the birth of the King. Christmas Eve is normally nothing special for us. I would like to change that and do as you do. I'll file this one away for next Christmas.

MT Gianni
01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Looks great. I am married to a woman that loves to cook but likes her meat brown and dead all the way through. Her family is the same. She does pull mine off earlier but her idea of pink and mine are diferent. I filed this for a guys get together.

stocker
01-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Similar to what I do except: I lightly baste the entire roast with bacon drippings and it is quite heavily seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper. The roast goes in the oven in an open roaster (oiled), with the roast resting on a couple of large carrots and a couple of thick onion slices. About 20 minutes at 450 F will give you a very even brown on the entire roast. No stove top searing required and the result is much more consistent on all surfaces. Reduce heat to 200 and open oven door to let temperature drop to that quickly. Cook till interior meat temp is 130 for rarish, remove and wrap in foil and let rest for 30 minutes.

Also, I prefer my roast cut from the large (chuck adjacent ) end so there is more fat marbling in the meat. Fat is flavor!

A 10 pound standing rib was our Christmas dinner as commercial domestic turkey is so bland I can't tolerate it. Make lots of Yorkshire pudding to go with the gravy you will have to augment with package mix or stock as the OP pointed out. There are almost no accumulated drippings from roasting in this manner although you can work up some nice color from the bottom of the pan.

Typecaster
01-08-2010, 11:53 PM
OK, stocker. We're down to the subleties here, I think. I tried starting with a high-temp roast years ago, and gave up for 2 reasons:
1. The smoke in the house on Christmas Eve.
2. Waiting until it browned in the oven gave me a wider ring of grey meat. I was trying for rib-house rosy pink as close to the edge as possible.

I agree that fat is flavor, but a Christmas Eve family dinner is also for presentation. Therefore, I'll stick with the small end. I personally don't mind cutting around chinks of fat. Otherwise, I think we could easily cook together.

Let's compare Yorkshire pudding recipes…one of the simplest delights in the Western world (I add a tiny bit of sugar, although my wife doesn't believe it). They're even more fun when the guests can see them in the muffin pan before they start to deflate. On New Year's day we did a tri-tip roast with the same low-temp technique, and rendered the trimmings for Yorkshire puddings. Perfect!

Best,

Richard

stocker
01-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Typecaster:
I just don't get a lot of smoke for the short time it takes at 450. At least no more than I would get pan-searing. Our oven is very consistent at set temp though and it would make a difference if it cycled higher. Raising the meat on the carrots lets the hot air circulate under the roast better and makes for easy cleanup without a rack.

Yorkshire as taught by my wife (for a 12 cavity muffin pan):
2 eggs at room temp
1cup milk at room temp
1 cup flour
salt (about 1/4 t), have always just eyeballed it on our palm

Mix until smooth

Put 1/4 t (approx) of bacon fat in each muffin compartment.
Preheat pan with fat in 400F oven for 10-15 minutes
Fill each compartment about 1/3-1/2 full and return to oven until done.

For company we usually make 3 dozen as they seem to get gobbled up.

No sugar but it wouldn't hurt to try a bit and watch and see how much it affects browning. May try that.

I appreciate your emphasis on the leaner cut for presentation. The other end does usually have a large internal vein of fat that doesn't look so good if you are serving the full slice.

They do taste great from either end though.

Typecaster
01-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Hi stocker—
Our recipes for Yorkshire puddings are about identical…we use 1/2 tsp salt, and beef fat/drippings rather than bacon fat (probably the same net amount of salt). I'll have to make a batch with bacon fat to compare.

Thanks for the idea!

Richard