PDA

View Full Version : Henry in .45 LC

Rodfac
01-07-2010, 01:20 PM
A friend is interested in getting a lever gun in .357 or .45 LC. He's done some initial research and is interested in a used Winchester AE or a new Henry. Does anyone have any experience with either? At this point he's leaning to the Henry. What kind of accuracy can he expect out of it with either cast or jacketed bullets. Many thanks in advance.

It'll be casual target and fun gun for him to complement his Colt SSA in .45 LC or a pair of S&W M-10's in .38 Special. Deer in the brush out to 50 yds would be a possibility as well.

Rodfac

corvette8n
01-07-2010, 01:32 PM
I thought about the Henry in .45 Colt, but ended up with a Puma carbine in .45 Colt. I like my Henry rimfire, but couldn't see spending a couple of hundred more for the Henry plus the extra weight of the Henry would be a penalty woods walking.

.45Cole
01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
I know it's not one of the choices, but what about a marlin (cowboy limited) 1984. I have one and love it, but my chamber is too large, so find one with a norm chamber. I too have a henry .22 and it is great, but I'm not impressed with the weight and handling of the centerfires. The wuin 94 action is kind of tons of links exposed and rattling when being racked. I would have my marlin over both. Maybe a rossi as my 32-20 in a '92 acition is great. Hope this helps.

Sagebrush Burns
01-07-2010, 01:45 PM
For the kind of shooting you're discussing a Rossi M-92 replica is a good bet. Very strong, and unlike the M-94, designed for a pistol length cartridge so it will feed more reliably.

mroliver77
01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Shootin pal has a Henry in .44 mag. We worked p loads for it at my place. It is a very good shooter. It seems to feed evry boolit I have for .44 and all were pretty accurate. Like has been said it is a boat anchor.
Jay

2ndAmendmentNut
01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
At the risk of me sounding stupid, are you talking about an 1860 Henry or a “Big Boy” Henry? The 1860 is the one with no forehand, where as the BB is a modern design which I am not sure is legal for CAS.

I load for both 38/357 and 45Colt (LC). My favorite is the 45Colt, but I must confess the 357 seems a little more practical.

NickSS
01-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I have only handled the Henry and did not like it due to weight and cost. I have a 94AE in 45 colt, Marlin 94 in 45 colt and 357, and a rossi 92 in 45 colt and 357 mag. I used to have a 94AE in 357 mag but I kept breaking the cartridge lifter when it double fed during fast shooting sessions at cowboy action shoots. I sold it due to that problem. Of all my rifles in these calibers I like the 92 puma by rossi the best. They are light handy and shoot well. After they slick up a bit they are like grease to operate. The others are good too as far as accuracy and handling go. Oh I do have one 45 colt that will blow the doors off all the above as far as slick goes and it is a replica 1860 Henry but is is heavy and you have to watch out for the cartridge follower that comes sliding down into your hand when shooting it.

59sharps
01-08-2010, 12:22 AM
my votes for 44-40

canyon-ghost
01-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Possibly check out Marlin firearms for a lever action in the cowboy section, they still make the 1894 &1895 versions, some of which are in 45 Colt and 357. Marlin has a following in the stainless steel versions, especially in the Guide Guns. That, and their prices are somewhat more reasonable.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/Cowboy/1894_45Colt.asp

missionary5155
01-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Good evening
+1 on the Puma. I have one & my son has the other. They shoot, cycle, are well made and carry as only a 92 model can.
I have held the Henry's... much to heavy. That rifle should be chambered for a rifle cartrige.

Rodfac
01-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Many thanks one and all...I'll pass your input along. Rodfac

RobS
01-10-2010, 02:38 PM
The Henry "Big Boy" that my dad has in 44 mag is a very nice rifle and is a great shooter with both jacketed and cast bullets. I do have to say it is picky on bullet length though as it likes them on the short side. That to me a a draw back and with that I have a stainless steel Rossi Puma 454 casull and it will feed bullets that have a longer COL. Although it will not cycle the longer COL bullets that a Ruger Redhawk will alllow never the less is not as finicky and difinately a better compromise IMO. The Puma's 92 design will hold up well regarding heavy loads as well.

That said though the Henry is a better finished rifle as its action will be smooth as butter and all wood and blueing is flawless or at least it is so on my dad's rifle. The Rossi or Puma lever action will have a rougher action and the overall finish is just not as good as the Henry......it's not badly finished don't get me wrong. I actually did work to the Puma's action by adjusting the springs cleaning up the bearing surfaces etc and it now is very smooth.

Calamity Jake
01-10-2010, 04:40 PM
What ever your friend desides on if it is brass framed then keep loads at or below SAA pressures, the brass frames streatch easy and that creates headspace problems

Stel frames are good.

Ed Barrett
01-10-2010, 07:02 PM
My vote would also be for the Puma. If you can find one of the Rossi made ones in .454 casull and you can shoot 45LC's in it and .454's for hunting bears.

leadeye
01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
I have had a 45lc Henry "Big Boy" rifle for a year now, eats anything I feed my Rugers. It's heavy but I find that to not be a hinderance at a range, my Marlin 44 goes hunting though as I think the brass wold be to bright. All in all a fun gun to shoot and just as accurate as the Marlin.:D

John Taylor
01-12-2010, 10:20 PM
What ever your friend desides on if it is brass framed then keep loads at or below SAA pressures, the brass frames streatch easy and that creates headspace problems

Stel frames are good.

DITTO
Had one of the brass frames come in a few years back with .050" head space. It was a 45 LC