PDA

View Full Version : I like old presses

Char-Gar
01-07-2010, 01:16 PM
As those who know me are aware, I am a fan of quality old reloading presses that can be bought pretty cheap and will still give a lifetime of service. Here are mine.

1. A 50's Herters U-3, that after the shell holders and primers arms were sold, an RCBS shell holder adapter added, cost me a total of $1.00 including postage.

2. A 50's RCBS A2, the finest single stage press ever made

3. A 50's Pacific Super C. It cost me $20.00 off Ebay and came without a handle. I turned a new handle from a piece of 1917 Enfield barrel.

WILCO
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Nice collection. I've got a Redding turret press like your's on my bench. I couldn't live without it.

Shooter6br
01-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Have an old Herters Press from my Dad i guess 1962 vintage. I use a turret press now. Cant get rid of it. It has sentimental value My Dad has been gone 23 yrs. Three months before his first grandson was born.

scrapcan
01-07-2010, 02:02 PM
I like the old ones too. I have a C-H 111, Herters Model 9, Star Universal, one of the early Lyman orange crushers ( not really old but nolonger made), rcbs jr, 3 belding and mull Model 28 improved straight lines, a couple of truline jrs, and a few others. Some newer also.

I would like to find an all american or hollywood, but neither of htose is cheap these days.

That A2 is a monster of a press.

Shiloh
01-07-2010, 02:05 PM
I have one very similar the black one in the bottom photo. I got it from my father-in-law's basement. Old primers and powders as well.

The Pacific press has a shell holder type of arrangement that precludes the use of standard shell holders. I really need to see how much of it is in the several boxes of stuff I got from him.

Nice collection

Shiloh

1874Sharps
01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
I have the old Lyman Spartan single stage press my Dad got in the 60s when he started reloading. I still remember going to the sporting goods store when I was early grade school when he picked it up. Great old press, it is.

1hole
01-07-2010, 02:38 PM
"2. A 50's RCBS A2, the finest single stage press ever made"

It's good but the current Redding Ultra Mag may want to challenge that appraisal.

Char-Gar
01-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Shiloh... The later Pacific Super C's had a shell holder ram that used the interchangable RCBS heads. My press has been retrofited with one. They are still out there on EBay and other places.

truckmsl
01-07-2010, 03:20 PM
I really enjoy my older Lyman All American turret.

Farmall 1066
01-07-2010, 05:06 PM
I load on a Pacific Multi Power that my brother in law's dad probably made when he worked there, back in the day. Tons of old Pacific stuff in these parts.
I also use a Herters Super 234 turret press.....mainly because it's the finest, most precice, unbeatable quality, super duper, superlative, and so on and so forth.....

Love the old Herters Advertising!!

Andy

.30/30 Guy
01-07-2010, 05:57 PM
I love the old presses. First picture - Hollywood and 3 hole Texan. Also Meepos sizer/lubricator.
Second picture - Dunbar, CC Johnson, W Fuller, and Redding. The Star sizer is from the 60's.

higgins
01-07-2010, 06:13 PM
I too have a Spartan from the mid-60s. In addition to the untold thousands of pistol rounds loaded on it, I've done a lot of FL bottleneck case sizing and even some case forming on it. I was amazed how much easier the FL rifle case sizing was when I finally bought a used Rockchucker from a friend several years ago. The rockchucker bolts to my workbench in the garage. I usually do the rifle case sizing in the garage and bring the cases in the den for bullet seating with the Spartan; neck sizing is also done with it. I'm convinced the Spartan will outlast me.

EMC45
01-07-2010, 07:02 PM
Bought out a guys basement of all his reloading gear. There was a Lyman Spartan C frame that I sold a few days later. I have regretted it ever since. The thing was nice and stout! The linkage was all case hardened. Cleaned up real nice too.:groner:

Shiloh
01-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Nice Bench .30/30Guy!!

Way to clean to be my area. I could sure use more space to store stuff.

Shiloh

smoked turkey
01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I just recently got an old RCBS A2. After having an old Rockchucker for the last 40 years I feel a little bad walking into the reloading room and seeing the old RC looking at me from the floor. Probably just me but that old RC and I go way back. Sniff..sniff.
BUT as a practical man I have to say the A2 is a stouter press and it out weighs the RC too. The RC is 16.5 lbs, while the A2 is 21.5 lbs. I was FL sizing some 500 S&W mags and when compared side by side the A2 definately has the mechanical advantage. So I have to say the A2 is a good addition to my reloading room. The RC will have to stay around...just because.

Pressman
01-08-2010, 10:12 AM
My reloading career began at age 17 with a 310 tool.
While it worked OK it was slow so I quickly upgraded to a Tru-Line Jr. That remained my press for 30 years. I really wanted an All American but the cost was a bit much for my limited income at the time.
I was given a Herter’s U-3 one day and was hooked. Locating a Herter’s catalog I just knew I needed some of those tools described. But, it was 1988 and where would ever find them?
I found a Redhead at an antique show, there were two on the table and I only bought one, dumb me. I figured it used 310 dies so I could use it. Never thought about shell holders. Fortunately for me a previous owner had reamed the carrier to 9/16” for Lyman J shell holders.
One thing led to another and soon a Herter’s 234 Turret press followed me home then came the Pacific Super Tool and a RCBS 2A. Pretty soon I had enough presses that I could leave one set up for each caliber. That’s two presses for sizing and seating rifle cases!
Today there are just shy of 150 presses and hand reloading tools in my room. The latest addition is a seldom seen Multiplex press that arrived Christmas eve, nice present.
Ken

Green Frog
01-09-2010, 12:37 PM
You mean they have made loading presses since the Tru-Line Jr and RedHead?? :mrgreen:

Froggie

PS Pressman, I believe I mentioned to you previously that I had made a shell holder for my Maynard 1873 Model... it's not hard if you have an original to go by. :)

Dale53
01-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Froggie;
You're BAD-D-D!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dale53

maddog2020
01-09-2010, 11:18 PM
I see you do the herters #3 like I do,. just can't get rid of it.
I have the rcbs adapter and use it to work some wildcats

As those who know me are aware, I am a fan of quality old reloading presses that can be bought pretty cheap and will still give a lifetime of service. Here are mine.

1. A 50's Herters U-3, that after the shell holders and primers arms were sold, an RCBS shell holder adapter added, cost me a total of $1.00 including postage.

2. A 50's RCBS A2, the finest single stage press ever made

3. A 50's Pacific Super C. It cost me $20.00 off Ebay and came without a handle. I turned a new handle from a piece of 1917 Enfield barrel.

David2011
01-09-2010, 11:23 PM
I love the old presses. First picture - Hollywood and 3 hole Texan. Also Meepos sizer/lubricator.
Second picture - Dunbar, CC Johnson, W Fuller, and Redding. The Star sizer is from the 60's.

.30/30- Do you know what kind of powder measure that is in the center of the bench? I have one just like it but don't know anyting about it.

David

dhansen
01-10-2010, 12:01 AM
.30/30- Do you know what kind of powder measure that is in the center of the bench? I have one just like it but don't know anyting about it.

David

It is a Belding and Mull powder measure. I'm sure 30-30 will chime in.

jaguarxk120
01-10-2010, 07:45 PM
The B & M powder measure is one of the most accurate measure's made. One has to go to a exotic electronic system to beat it. Simple and it works, as far as charges go they are all the same one after another.

It seems no one mentioned the Texas turret press , seven stations and made from cast iron and steel.
And I have the grand daddy of all the turret presses, the Hollywood Universal!:mrgreen: One of the first presses able to load 50 BMG, 12 stations for dies, four stations for shell holders, and last four stations for primers.

Remember the old rounded primers you needed a primer post that had a rounded cup in the end other wise the pellet was crushed.

Big press stands 19 inches talland you pull the handle up, it's a toggle linkage, not compound.

.30/30 Guy
01-10-2010, 09:58 PM
As indicated in the other posts the powder measure is indeed a Belding & Mull.

TAWILDCATT
01-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I have a Meepos luber also.that was a nice unit.the bonaza is the best single stage around.I have one also.the trulines are great little presses I have 5 and had one hole in the turret opened to 7/8 14 for carbide sizing die. in all.heerter was my second press,third really as my first was a modern bond "C' press.now I use lee turrets.:coffee:

Ozark Howler
01-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Here's a few (still serviceable) old war horses.

First pic....Front row...Herter's Super 3 (very common early 60's)...Rcbs 2A...Rcbs A...and another 2A Note: these 2A's are not A2's), the 2A's were the original cast steel models that were later followed by the A2 cast iron models around mid 50's.

Rear : an unknown 2 hole "H" press (possibly a Lieb)..and a Hollywood Sr.

Second photo is a very rare RCBS pre-A with an original Fred Huntington rear mounting bracket including reversed linkage whereas the ram lowers on the down stroke (1949 ?)

Have some Dietemeyer's, more RCBS's, CH's, and Pacific's but I need to dig them out someday.

cheese1566
01-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Very nice Ozark!

Please put me in your will!

:bigsmyl2:

Pressman
01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Ozark, do you have better pictures of the H press? Does it have any markings at all? The only Lieb H press I have seen had a single L cast into the frame.
Ken

jerrold
01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Any of you know how far back the RCBS rockchucker goes ?:violin: Mine was bought in the late 50's or very early 60's.

GLL
01-11-2010, 07:12 PM
Chargar & Ozark Howler:

If you ever see another RCBS A2 or 2A available please drop me a note ! I have been searching for a long time !

Jerry

Pressman
01-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Jerrold, the rockchucker came out in 1967. There is a date stamp on the top of the frame, probably under the bushing flange. You need a 1-1/2" wrench to remove it.
That same year the A2 was changed by enlarging the tupper frame "O", eliminating the bushing and changing to cast iron construction.
The presses pictured are the rockchucker on the right and the working prototype based on the Jr2 frame, on the left.
Ken

Ozark Howler
01-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Ozark, do you have better pictures of the H press? Does it have any markings at all? The only Lieb H press I have seen had a single L cast into the frame.
Ken

Ken,

Here is some additional pics of the "H" press I believe to be a Lieb, also a pic of another Lieb press I recently sold on Ebay. The similarity in the linkage between the two (and the "L") made believe the "H" model is a Lieb also...maybe you can confirm ?

Thanks....Bob

Ozark Howler
01-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Chargar & Ozark Howler:

If you ever see another RCBS A2 or 2A available please drop me a note ! I have been searching for a long time !

Jerry

Jerry,

I do run across some of the A series from time to time, unfortunately some sellers (on Ebay) are beginning to see an the interest in this model and are asking unreasonable prices...but once in a while a deal does comes along.

Sixgun Symphony
01-12-2010, 12:08 AM
One can find the shellholders to the older reloading presses for sale on ebay.

JMtoolman
01-12-2010, 11:04 AM
I saw one of the Herters 3C presses this last weekend at the Boise show. $30.00 was a good price. My wife bought me one in about 1963 with a set of dies for $13.00. Used it for years. The toolman.

jerrold
01-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Jerrold, the rockchucker came out in 1967. There is a date stamp on the top of the frame, probably under the bushing flange. You need a 1-1/2" wrench to remove it.
That same year the A2 was changed by enlarging the tupper frame "O", eliminating the bushing and changing to cast iron construction.
The presses pictured are the rockchucker on the right and the working prototype based on the Jr2 frame, on the left.
Ken

i sure thought i bought my Rockchucker earlier than "67. Been reloading since "62 and don't remember having any other press, but i have CRS. May take the bushing off to look. Once was told the date is on the top, but didn't specify that it was under the bushing so i thought maybe mine was an early one without date.:violin::groner:

Rat-Man
01-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I bet there is a date under the bushing.
I finally removed that bushing to see what the date was on mine this year. Turns out it was 1975 and I would have sworn that I had it longer than that as well.

KCSO
01-12-2010, 12:05 PM
Lordy Lordy, A Lyman Armoury, A Lyman Spar T, both Tru Lines, An All American, An Ideal #1 Sizer, a 45, and a 450, A Redding Jr, Pacific balance scales a herter's #5 wire balance scale, and a bench full of Ideal and 310 hand tools....

All I got is old stuff.

Pressman
01-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Ozark Howler, your screen name through me. We talked about those presses when you sold the first Lieb on ebay. My name there is Herters.
Ken

Pressman
01-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Here is my Christmas present, a Multiplex press. Still need to find out more about this tool. It is from the very early 1950's. Lasted through 1953/4 for certain. Was made in Ohio and that is about it.
Ken

Ozark Howler
01-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Here is my Christmas present, a Multiplex press. Still need to find out more about this tool. It is from the very early 1950's. Lasted through 1953/4 for certain. Was made in Ohio and that is about it.
Ken

Ken,

That's an excellent looking press, I heard of them from time to time, but yours is the first one I've seen.

Nice Xmas present...

Gelandangan
01-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Chargar,
That green turret press next to your Pacific Super C, what make and model is it?

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-12-2010, 11:47 PM
I got one you'd like. It is a 6-stage "Jordan" model by Cameron Mfg Corp in Emporium, Pennsylvania. It has specialty dies, sort-of a round Dillon with a round collar that holds the dies and a handle on the top. It has dies for 38/357 and 44sp/44 Magnum. It is just too cool for words.

Rich

NOTE: the A4 is RCBS's finest IMHO. Got three.

Bob Maerdian
01-15-2010, 09:15 PM
I have an RCBS A-2, an old Lyman Comet, a blue Pacific C Super press, 310s, and a Lee hand press. Of the lot of them, my favorite is the RCBS A-2. It is awesome.

Bob

Char-Gar
01-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Gelandagan -- That is a Redding. It is the six hole version. The current production Redding turrent has seven holes. I like the press just fine and use it for pistol loading, although it is just fine for rifle as well.

bowhunter
01-16-2010, 07:27 PM
I like the old ones two. I use a rcbs 2a made from 59-61 and a rcbs rock c. Made 1973

Ozark Howler
01-16-2010, 10:15 PM
I like the old ones two. I use a rcbs 2a made from 59-61 and a rcbs rock c. Made 1973

Bowhunter,

What color is your RCBS 2A, can you post a a pic ?

Bob

Pressman
01-17-2010, 06:07 PM
The 2A is very nearly the same color as your A, kind of a dirty gray/od color.

Gelandangan
01-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Gelandagan -- That is a Redding. It is the six hole version. The current production Redding turrent has seven holes. I like the press just fine and use it for pistol loading, although it is just fine for rifle as well.

:smile:
I thought so, I also own the same!

I got both same presses and uses them both too!
I also own an Australian Simplex.

Pressman
01-18-2010, 06:27 PM
One of the best things about old presses is the men who used them. Being able to connect a well known to a press is unique at best.
I got this Jordan from an estate because I wanted an original Jordan. It was dirty beyond description so I did not look at it very close.
When I got it home I found it was not an original but one of the Cameron MFG presses. Nothing wrong with that except I already have on identical to it. Oh well.

Then I decided to give it a good bath and I found the little brass plate on the base inscribed: Made by Careron Mfg Corp for Phil Sharpe. Way neat.
It has dies for 38 spl and 45 acp.
Ken

Dale53
01-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Pressman;
Now THAT is a REAL collector's item!

Congratulations on a real find!!

Dale53

Boo
03-23-2010, 01:59 AM
I'm looking for a primer catcher for a pacific power-c reloader. anyone out there know where I can locate one?
Jerry