PDA

View Full Version : Casting pure lead questions?

qajaq59
01-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm going to be casting pure lead in a Lee 50 cal R E A L 320 gr mold for my 1/28 twist in-line black powder rifle. Are there and tips or tricks that I should know ahead of time? I suspect that getting good fill out without any tin might be tricky?

ANY informatiion you can give will be appreciated. Oh, and do you lube the conical bullets? And if so what do you use.

Thanks

BABore
01-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Some say you have to run the pot temp real high. I've never found that to be the case. I ladle pour PB around 700-725 F. The mold on the other hand needs to be run fairly hot and maintained at a consistent temperature. Other than that, I have no problems at all.

runfiverun
01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
you will definately want the mold hot.
a bit of tin won't really affect the hardness any and could help some, 1-50,or even 1-100 could make things easier.

Recluse
01-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll run the alloy temp hotter than I normally do for WW boolits, but not that much hotter. And I ladle-pour.

:coffee:

snuffy
01-07-2010, 02:15 PM
It makes a difference whether you ladle pour or bottom pour. Further concerning the ladle pour method, if it's a Lyman type bottom pour ladle held tight to the sprue plate, or a ladle poured on the sprue plate with an air gap between the ladle and sprue plate.

I generally use a bottom pour pot like the pro 20 lee. I do the air gap method, the pot has to be on max temp and the mold kept hot as well. That's using really pure lead without any tin.

Now a word on the lee R.E.A.L. conical. As far as lube goes, I do the lube as it's being loaded. A good black powder lube will deteriorate if it's applied for more than 10 minutes before loading. Because it contains water which will evaporate if left on too long. Also, don't size them AT ALL! They are made to be small on the bottom driving ring, bigger as you go toward the top. Hence the rifling progressively engages it as it's rammed into the muzzle.

My Ruger 77/50 (1-28) shoots them real well, as does my TC Hawken with it's 1-48 twist. Runfiverun has it right, a bit of tin would help immensely. And it wouldn't hurt a thing in how the boolit works.

bigdog454
01-07-2010, 02:20 PM
My question would be, if shooting pure lead at say 1700 fps in a modern muzzle loader, will you get leading?

snuffy
01-07-2010, 02:33 PM
My question would be, if shooting pure lead at say 1700 fps in a modern muzzle loader, will you get leading?

You might. The lube used is more for keeping the fouling soft so it doesn't interfere with accuracy, and making it easier to clean.

Now in my Ruger 77/50, it didn't see any leading, AND I was pretty close to 1700 fps with a 120 grain pyrodex select charge. Or for that matter in my Hawken.

qajaq59
01-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Snuffy, what brand of lube would you suggest. I presently use Bore Butter in my revolver. And I am getting the type of input that I need, so thank you to all that have replied.

docone31
01-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Here is what I do,
I crank up the heat in the pot. I use pure roofing boot lead. I float the mold in the pot untill it seems good and hot. Too hot, and the casting pours back out. I use the six second rule on the sprue freezing.
That mold casts real well! Good fillout, good accuracy, just a good mold.
I have used lapping compound for lube! It helps when my bore is rusty.
I use a small nylon hammer to set the castings. I find, light taps and the casting is centered real well. No deformation.
I make my lube for BP shooting. 55% Beeswax, 45% Olive oil. Stiffer if it is warm. Stinks like all get out, but absolutely great in my bore!
I use a couple of R.E.A.L.s when I fire RBs. They really help clean out the fouling. Scrape it down the bore.
That mold is great, fires great, and works for me.
I have had no rejects yet from it.

dubber123
01-07-2010, 02:58 PM

I shoot a 450 gr. Plains boolit at 1,425 with no leading at all. Slower than the speed you mentioned, but my carbine only has a 21" bbl, so it's scooting up to speed pretty quickly. Bore Butter is what I have used, but I also use a pre lubed felt pad under the boolit.

snuffy
01-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Yup, TC natural lube, AKA bore butter. I smear it on as I'm loading, does a great job of lubing and keeping the fouling soft. TC claims it's use "conditions" the bore by entering the pores of the metal creating a barrier against rust. Lots of folks don't buy into that, but I feel it works.

qajaq59
01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Bore Butter is what I have used, but I also use a pre lubed felt pad under the boolit. I take it the wad is optional? But if you didn't use it would the Bore Butter foul the powder?

snuffy
01-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I take it the wad is optional? But if you didn't use it would the Bore Butter foul the powder?

Bore butter is just crisco, yellow dye and wintergreen oil. So I don't think it would do anything to the powder.

As for the bore-butter soaked felt wad, I have some, tried them, could see no benefit from them. As to group size or ease of cleaning.

mooman76
01-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Sometimes it is easier to ladle pour these bigger bullets. Like others have said. Crank up the heat. I turn mine all the way up and then turn down as it gets too hot. You can get away with it easier with pure lead and it just makes casting easier. A touch of tin won't hurt a thing. Most lead has a little something else anyway. It is hard to get "pure lead" I have used crisco and bore butter both with no leading.

44man
01-08-2010, 09:25 AM
I must have cast a million BP balls and boolits in my life and I just run lead hotter, about 800*. Never had a problem of any kind with pure lead. I ladle cast everything, hate the bottom pour.
The best lube going is Young Country, next would be Bore Butter but it does dry out. What I really hate about it is that it gets thick in the cold and those tubes they used to put some of the stuff in had to be run over with a truck tire to get some out. :bigsmyl2:
Never seen a muzzle loader get lead in the bore and I shot thousands of Maxi balls, etc.

mooman76
01-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I've never seen a ML get leading either but it is harder to see since you usually can't see all the way threw the barrel. I think the layer of fouling would keep the lead from sticking. that and the fact that it is harder to get your higher velocities or most people don't push them that hard. With the deep rifling of the MLs it shouldn't matter as much if you did get a little leading.

dubber123
01-08-2010, 10:09 AM
I take it the wad is optional? But if you didn't use it would the Bore Butter foul the powder?

I guess it depends on your gun. In mine, they shrunk groups. 0 to 1,425 in a 21" barrel might be hard on the bases, and the wad might act as a cushion? I dunno, but in my gun they were worth the extra cost and hassle.