PDA

View Full Version : Dillon powder funnel for boolits

fatelvis
01-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Since it doesnt exist, I had one made: Dillon does not offer a powder funnel that flares the case mouth for 30 caliber rifles, (for us Boolit guys), so I took my 30 Carbine powder funnel, that is normally too long to use with 308, 303Brit, 30-06, etc., and had a friend shorten it on his lathe. He shortened it from the funnel end, not the case flaring side, as to not affect the smooth exterior and surface hardening. It works great!! It charges the case, and flares the mouth just like the pistol dies do. Now I can load my favorite 30 cal rounds progressively, and really crank out the ammo!!

Gar
01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Great idea.
I've been thinking I needed to turnout a funnel for my 7.62x39 die set but didn't really want to put that much time into it. Never thought of starting with a 30 Carbine funnel. Thanks for the tip.

BruceB
01-07-2010, 09:25 AM
fatelvis, amigo;

My approach is a bit different.

When loading cast-bullet .30 rifle ammo on the 550, I install the complete RCBS .30 Carbine expander die at station 3, and put a VERY small flare on the case mouth after the powder has been dropped into the case. The bullet is then seated at station 4.

With some care in just how much flare is used, my M1A and other autoloading rifles will function just fine without removing the flare at all. Naturally if some "serious" shooting is anticipated, I'd finish up with running all the rounds into the seating die again to remove the tiny flare. This would mean setting the die deeper into the press to allow the crimping shoulder to do its work.

I do like your concept, though. I may just do the same.

Zim
01-07-2010, 11:33 PM
Hmmm...
I will run brass through twice on the 550.
First through is to resize and deprime.

Tumble to remove the case lube.

Second, put the expander from a 3 die pistol set - 32 ACP- in the first station. Second station is the powder funnel. Third is a seater - use your other sets - 7.62 short works for a lot of 30s. Fourth is the crimp die with the seater backed off or removed.

A 300 win mag sizing die will work as a universal decapping die and to drop the tumbling media out of the primer pocket. Swap out the 30 expander button out with a smaller one.

Happy shooting!

Gar
01-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I stopped in at Dillon's yesterday and picked up 2 30 Carbine funnels, cut one down for the 30-30 and the second worked as-is for the 7.62x39.
Of course when I got the press set up to reload last night, I found the shell case feed ram was cracked :cry: Wish I had known that when I was at Dillon's the first time.
Oh well, another 140 mile round trip this morning to pick up the part.

fatelvis
06-04-2016, 12:20 PM
I'm still waiting for NOE to come out with their excellent "M-style" version of the 30 cal and other caliber expander/charging funnels. (Hint-Hint!) Lol