PDA

View Full Version : UH Canoe Gun pic 4 Buckweet

357maximum
01-07-2010, 05:35 AM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/uhcanoe005.jpg

Pic of my 14 inch GM-50 pistol barrel on my H&A frame. Looks funny but actually handles nice. It is quite lively with a .495 RB over 80-90 grains of 3f.:veryconfu The sighting arrangement has not allowed me to shoot for accuracy but as soon as I get my reciever sight on the frame...I will do just that for shins and giggles.

two dogs
01-07-2010, 07:04 AM
looks like all business to me . i like it.

rhbrink
01-07-2010, 07:45 AM
You guy's are just killing me with those UH'ers never owned one but always wanted one, may have to look into building one.

buckweet
01-07-2010, 11:43 AM
You guy's are just killing me with those UH'ers never owned one but always wanted one, may have to look into building one.

ya, they killing me too.

stickin me poorly name's in the thread starter...just to tease, tis' a shame.

heck ? these boy's HAVE NO shame...

awsome brush/canoe weapon there, looks great .

my underhammer should be here soon.

cain't wait.:mrgreen:

Charlie Sometimes
01-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Killing?
It's already MURDER!
All the presidents on my green pieces of paper are dead!
I hope I can find someone one that will help me dispose of them properly. :lol: :razz:
And get me one soon.

buckweet
01-07-2010, 12:51 PM
hey ? i knows that is a BLACKPOWDER rifle.....

but ? i once putt a buttstock on a contender 7mmTCU.. super 14'' barrel, it shot lights out..

but then was told it was illegal...

barrel needed to be 16 inches long, ?? so can we do the short barrrels on a blackpowder ?

i hopes so !!

[muder] yes !! ya'll killing me !!!

OutHuntn84
01-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Now that looks like a fun lil toy!

rhbrink
01-07-2010, 02:13 PM
OK, thinking more serious all the time. Have not had one in my hands for many years and don't remember just how the barrel is fastened to the receiver, for lack of a better word, could one be set up for a quick change barrel without too much trouble?

357maximum
01-07-2010, 02:34 PM

but ? i once putt a buttstock on a contender 7mmTCU.. super 14'' barrel, it shot lights out..

barrel needed to be 16 inches long, ?? so can we do the short barrrels on a blackpowder ?

i hopes so !!

It is perfectly fine to do that on the federal NON-FIREARM object in the pic. There are some fuzzy rules as far as exporting such a critter, but we can still do what we want with non-firearms. If you did it with anything other than a muzzleloader it could be all bad in a hurry...might get you a trip to club fed even.

Your local laws may vary by state and location however. At the fed level it is fine to do what is pictured just as it is ok to have a BP traditional ignition shotgun pistol like the howdah.

357maximum
01-07-2010, 02:36 PM
ya, they killing me too.

stickin me poorly name's in the thread starter...just to tease, tis' a shame.

heck ? these boy's HAVE NO shame...

awsome brush/canoe weapon there, looks great .

my underhammer should be here soon.

cain't wait.:mrgreen:

If you are accusing me of rubbing salt in an already festered and itchy wound...I stand guilty as charged without remorse.[smilie=s:

buckweet
01-07-2010, 02:45 PM
If you are accusing me of rubbing salt in an already festered and itchy wound...I stand guilty as charged without remorse.[smilie=s:

SALT ?!?!?...........ha, more like caustic/sulfer acids, if ya ask me...

never stops burning.....:mrgreen:

357maximum
01-07-2010, 03:56 PM
All the presidents on my green pieces of paper are dead!

If we ever get to the point where there is a living president on them bills....we are .................a............... :(screwed:(........be grateful them fella's pictured on your greenbacks are dead.

Hanshi
01-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Forgive me but, well, that rifle is CUTE! [smilie=l:

357maximum
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Forgive me but, well, that rifle is CUTE! [smilie=l:

It is kinda cute. I originally put it together like that just messing around. After handling it an shooting it a bit...........I am actually kind of liking it that way........go figure.

It is not real cute when you pull the trigger with 90 grains of 3F in her though....awakes the sleeping giant hiding in that CUTE carbine. :holysheep

I might just have to do some load work and pop a close range deer with it just to do it next year.

buckweet
01-07-2010, 06:32 PM
OK, thinking more serious all the time. Have not had one in my hands for many years and don't remember just how the barrel is fastened to the receiver, for lack of a better word, could one be set up for a quick change barrel without too much trouble?

yep, from whats im understanding,,....
and reading this book, and from all the guys on here, pretty sure you can swap barrels really fast, tapered pin, ezy on ezy off.

.357MAX, will jump on your question.

357maximum
01-07-2010, 08:16 PM

The original Numerich made Hopkins and Allens used a tapered pin to hold the rear of the breech plug to the frame. It had to be drifted out to change barrels.

Mine are H&A "clones" and use set screws to hold the plug. I can change from 50 carbine to 50 rifle to 20guage or to whatnot in about 1 minute. Loosen 3 set screws pop the barrel off put new one in and tighten.......tadaaaaaa

The breech plug is a simple chunk of 5/8X18 grade 5or 8 shoulder bolt with the head cutoff. Threads go into barrel a short distance and a short section of the shoulder goes into the frame. The set screws simply push on the shoulder from the top and the sides........It is super solid.

When cleaning I do not normally take the breech plug out of the receiver...I just give the barrel a quick twist and unthread from the reciever....that is how I do it, others may do it differently.

My pistol/receiver barrel has "dimples" on two sides of the breach plug which receive the set screws. This was done because my pistol has the rear sight on the receiver and I wanted to ensure repeatability. Something I now realize was not neccessarry.

buckweet
01-07-2010, 10:36 PM
The original Numerich made Hopkins and Allens used a tapered pin to hold the rear of the breech plug to the frame. It had to be drifted out to change barrels.

Mine are H&A "clones" and use set screws to hold the plug. I can change from 50 carbine to 50 rifle to 20guage or to whatnot in about 1 minute. Loosen 3 set screws pop the barrel off put new one in and tighten.......tadaaaaaa

The breech plug is a simple chunk of 5/8X18 grade 5or 8 shoulder bolt with the head cutoff. Threads go into barrel a short distance and a short section of the shoulder goes into the frame. The set screws simply push on the shoulder from the top and the sides........It is super solid.

When cleaning I do not normally take the breech plug out of the receiver...I just give the barrel a quick twist and unthread from the reciever....that is how I do it, others may do it differently.

My pistol/receiver barrel has "dimples" on two sides of the breach plug which receive the set screws. This was done because my pistol has the rear sight on the receiver and I wanted to ensure repeatability. Something I now realize was not neccessarry.

so ? you can take the breech plugg out for cleaning....hummm ?
interesting to know.
your reason for not taking the breech plug out for all cleaning is ?
wear and tear ?

Charlie Sometimes
01-07-2010, 11:06 PM
It's not easy to remove any breech plug, and shouldn't be, and isn't necessary every time.
I don't beleive that I know anyone who has ever removed one for cleaning- it's always been something more important to justify removal.

Neat idea to attach the barrel to the frame with set screws- although I think a pin could be used that is threaded near the head, maybe a tapered pin with a threaded head? I am going to think about these options more now for possible future use!

As I have said before, I have replaced a barrel on one, and yes they were held on by a tapered pin- not easy to get out, and very secure once in. If you switched barrels much though, I think it would wear things out. It wouldn't be at all like a hooked breach system where the cross pin is the only thing getting much use.

John Taylor
01-08-2010, 12:09 AM
The old H&As had the taper pin. Not a good setup for interchangeable barrel. Each barrel would need to be reamed with a taper pin reamer to the action they are going to be used on. Just a few thousandth off and the pin would not have a good hold. The later H&As had the three set screws and works OK for having different barrels. I have two customers that send their action back about once a year to get another barrel fitted. They each must have four or five barrels now.
I don't recommend taking the breach plug out for cleaning. If everything is working right and you clean your rifle properly then the only time to take the breach plug out is to have the rifling freshed out, relined or rebore to a larger caliber .

357maximum
01-08-2010, 01:11 AM
I coat my breech plugs with a ballistol/beewax paste and they are not SUPER hard to remove.
Like I said above to each their own on this one...I will not argue the point.

buckweet
01-08-2010, 04:55 AM
The old H&As had the taper pin. Not a good setup for interchangeable barrel. Each barrel would need to be reamed with a taper pin reamer to the action they are going to be used on. Just a few thousandth off and the pin would not have a good hold. The later H&As had the three set screws and works OK for having different barrels. I have two customers that send their action back about once a year to get another barrel fitted. They each must have four or five barrels now.
I don't recommend taking the breach plug out for cleaning. If everything is working right and you clean your rifle properly then the only time to take the breach plug out is to have the rifling freshed out, relined or rebore to a larger caliber .

thats good to know.
about the relined part.

im already thinking of turning this .45 into a .58
if i can just reline it, everything should fit perfectly back together.
john,? . does your frame have the set screw's ?
things are looking up.

Geraldo
01-08-2010, 01:35 PM

i hopes so !!

I believe it was Sile that used to sell a 14" SBS muzzleloading shotgun, and there are a few companies that make and sell "blanket guns" (cut down trade guns). So as far as I know it's still perfectly legal to do whatever you want to a muzzleloader. If you're real worried though, you could always give it a 16" barrel.

I'm not an underhammer guy, but I do like the look of short barreled muzzleloaders whether they are practical or not.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Very Nice.

buckweet
01-08-2010, 06:44 PM
all .357max has done is give me the ideal of a 16'' barrel, in 1-18 fast twist, .45

shoot the big boolits.

now that would be a nice tractor/pickup gun. or a boat gun.

Charlie Sometimes
01-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Here I am try to get sufficient funding to get a 45 UH, and you are thinking of removing one from the breeding stock! :lol: :razz:

johnlaw484
01-08-2010, 07:48 PM
:redneck:Guns are like dead presidents,you just can't have too many.

buckweet
01-08-2010, 08:21 PM
Here I am try to get sufficient funding to get a 45 UH, and you are thinking of removing one from the breeding stock! :lol: :razz:

hey charlie ?

i know, .357max made me a turncoat........:hijack:

now if my OTHER TWO UH's would only hurry up and gets here.....[smilie=w:

357maximum
01-08-2010, 09:23 PM
thats good to know.
about the relined part.

john,? . does your frame have the set screw's ?
things are looking up.

Why would you reline it? If you want another caliber just buy another barrel. If you redrill the pin holes in the H&A frame to accept setscrews all you need is another breech plug for the 45 barrel....It is quite possible you might not need that even. The setscrews might do just fine even with a hole laterally all the way though the plug. Then when you get the 58 cal which comes breeched with a larger plug you can just get the frame portion of the plug turned down to 5/8 and have interchangeable barrels. That is what I have done on my set of blackpowder barrels for mine.

357maximum
01-08-2010, 09:25 PM
i know, .357max made me a turncoat........:hijack:

I will not be held accountable for your actions. :kidding:

Even if I did it would not matter...I sold my concience for beer money years ago.;)

buckweet
01-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Why would you reline it? If you want another caliber just buy another barrel. If you redrill the pin holes in the H&A frame to accept setscrews all you need is another breech plug for the 45 barrel....It is quite possible you might not need that even. The setscrews might do just fine even with a hole laterally all the way though the plug. Then when you get the 58 cal which comes breeched with a larger plug you can just get the frame portion of the plug turned down to 5/8 and have interchangeable barrels. That is what I have done on my set of blackpowder barrels for mine.

send a picture of it ? what your talking about ?

im kinda s-l-o-w

ya, draw me a picture. im that dense.

honest.really.

357maximum
01-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Your real H&A has a cross pin through breechplug and the receiver to hold the barrel on.

My clones have 3 setscrews to pinch the breechplug in the reciever. Ther are no holes through my breech plug.

all you have to do is make(have made) is the breechplug (varies by cal) is to make it like a shoulder bolt. Bigger threads in the bigger bore simply requires a smaller shank to pinch in the reciever.

You should be able to take the existing crosspin holes in the frame and tap them to accept setscrews instead. Then you too can pinch the breech plugs in the reciever.

I will tear a few guns/barrels apart if I am still not doing a good job of describing it.

------------

...............------------

...............------------

-----------

or

------------- ------------

------------- ------------

it makes no difference how big the diameter of the threads in the barrel are if you turn a shoulder on the smooth section to match your reciever.

buckweet
01-09-2010, 02:32 AM
uhhhhhh..........?

welll..........

ummmmm ......?

357maximum
01-09-2010, 03:39 AM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l80/357maximum/UHBOOT006.jpg

See the right side barrels plug for my 20 gauge barrel?? the one by the pencil tip??? ...it has bigger threads than the shank end which goes into the receiver? that is a 9/16 thread with a 5/8 shank to fit all my frames. Your 58cal plug will need to look like this to fit your Hopkins frame. See how the other 2 plugs are straight and the same diameter both in threads and shank? them are standard 5/8X18 breech plugs...........plugs are backed out for display by the way.

Now...see the frames?? they have set screws to retain the shank end of the breech plug. Yours will have a through pin instead. If you can drift your pin out and then thread for setscrews you too can have interchangeable barrels. Without destroying and lining a perfectly good 45cal original barrel.

Clear as mud now?

buckweet
01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
ahhhhh .......

haaaaa

ok, i now see the light ! .
hey, thanks so much for taking the time to draw a picture.

ok, im with you on this .

buckweet
01-09-2010, 12:35 PM
ok, ya'll talked me outta , trying to reline the barrel, i'll just get another barrel.

357maximum
01-09-2010, 12:37 PM
Glad it clicked for ya [smilie=2:

buckweet
01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Glad it clicked for ya [smilie=2:

:drinks: thanks .357

the picture really helped.

buckweet
01-09-2010, 01:04 PM
when my rifle gets here, i'll check it out.
see if i can set it up like yours.
i see now how , like john and yourself was saying about how easy it is to swap barrel's.

357maximum
01-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Now if I could just get the color in my pics to come out true we would both be set.

Charlie Sometimes
01-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I was thinking of a pin that went all the way through the existing hole(taper opened up to straight walls). The pin would basically have threads at the top and a smooth shaft to fit securely into the hole in the breech plug and through to the opposite side of the frame. Threaded end would secure the pin to the frame and thread into one side of the frame.

Your way might be easier!

Tried to get a set of UH hammer and trigger group off of E-Bay- someone had more money than I did! It went for$56.77! I figure that's money better spent on a whole rifle. C'est la vie!

buckweet
01-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I was thinking of a pin that went all the way through the existing hole(taper opened up to straight walls). The pin would basically have threads at the top and a smooth shaft to fit securely into the hole in the breech plug and through to the opposite side of the frame. Threaded end would secure the pin to the frame and thread into one side of the frame.

Your way is might be easier!

Tried to get a set of UH hammer and trigger group off of E-Bay- someone had more money than I did! It went for$56.77! I figure that's money better spent on a whole rifle. C'est la vie!

ya, i thinks your right.
get the whole rifle. and set it up like .357's.
then like the guys say's . have two 3 or 4 barrels.
do anything then.
sounds like a plan. that rifle is still on gunbroker.
[grin]

buckweet
01-10-2010, 03:42 PM
and ? charlie ?

whats the plan now ? :)

Charlie Sometimes
01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Drop back and punt!

I'm working on it! :grin:
Funny thing- how hard it is to find extra money when you need it, and the government can come buy it so easily!
If we print it, we go to jail- they print it, and we go to he11 'cause it at worth nuthin'! :twisted:
How's that wurkin' out fer ya so far? :razz:

buckweet
01-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Drop back and punt!

I'm working on it! :grin:
Funny thing- how hard it is to find extra money when you need it, and the government can come buy it so easily!
If we print it, we go to jail- they print it, and we go to he11 'cause it at worth nuthin'! :twisted:
How's that wurkin' out fer ya so far? :razz:

sheesh ? aint that the truth ?
i say lets print some, and live it up like washington !!! [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

buckweet
01-10-2010, 07:52 PM
psssssstt !!! i gots a zerox :)