PDA

View Full Version : Single six center fire.

Bullshop Junior
01-07-2010, 12:36 AM
Can someone post a pic of the recoil plate on a center fire Ruger single six? I want a pic of the front of the recoil plate, when it is still in the gun.
Thanks.

NHlever
01-07-2010, 09:24 AM
The recoil plate in a centerfire Single Six is the same as a rimfire, but the location is different. Offset firing pins have been tried / prototyped, but they never went into production so I have to assume that there were binding, or other issues. I've sometimes wondered if an oversize recoil plate would fit, but never measured to find out. Sorry I can't help with the pictures.....

KCSO
01-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I'll see if I can take som pictures of my 32 H and R

Bullshop Junior
01-07-2010, 09:48 PM
I'll see if I can take som pictures of my 32 H and R
Ok, thanks.

Multigunner
01-07-2010, 11:33 PM
A friend who'd spent some time in the booneys of south America on business told me that many of the locals in the region he visited liked to have old revolvers rebored or rebarreled and chambered, or have new cylinders made in some instances, to allow them to use only one cartridge for both rifles and handgun.
The more common .44-40 , 32-20, 38-40 carbine and pistol combos were easy enough to find ready made, but these fellows wanted chamberings uncommon or unheard of for a factory handgun. Cartridges like the .218 Bee and .22 Hornet for example.
He had even seen one pistol in .222 Remington.

While single Action clones or original colts were the most natural choice, some prefered double action swing cylinder pistols.

When the factory frames were too short they'd have a talented local black smith/Machinist build them a frame and cylinder then strip most other parts from a factory model or buy them as spare parts.

Since the rifles were usually for small game, and handloading was a must out there in the sticks, they could load to the pressure limits of the handgun.

The S&W .22 Jet Revolver probably inspired the practice, that and the Ruger .30 Carbine chambered revolver.

PS
I've heard of a centerfire .22 intended to take the place of the .22 WRFM, based on the Velo-Dog cartridges, the primer pocket near as big around as the case. It didn't go far, and for a while one could order empty primed .22 Magnum cases to allow a shooter to custom taylor loads for his rifle or pistol.

The cases were also used to make rounds for the shorter chambered .22 auto loader cartridge some early Winchester auto rifles were chambered for.

Bullshop Junior
01-07-2010, 11:40 PM
A friend who'd spent some time in the booneys of south America on business told me that many of the locals in the region he visited liked to have old revolvers rebored or rebarreled and chambered, or have new cylinders made in some instances, to allow them to use only one cartridge for both rifles and handgun.
The more common .44-40 , 32-20, 38-40 carbine and pistol combos were easy enough to find ready made, but these fellows wanted chamberings uncommon or unheard of for a factory handgun. Cartridges like the .218 Bee and .22 Hornet for example.
He had even seen one pistol in .222 Remington.

While single Action clones or original colts were the most natural choice, some prefered double action swing cylinder pistols.

When the factory frames were too short they'd have a talented local black smith/Machinist build them a frame and cylinder then strip most other parts from a factory model or buy them as spare parts.

Since the rifles were usually for small game, and handloading was a must out there in the sticks, they could load to the pressure limits of the handgun.

The S&W .22 Jet Revolver probably inspired the practice, that and the Ruger .30 Carbine chambered revolver.

PS
I've heard of a centerfire .22 intended to take the place of the .22 WRFM, based on the Velo-Dog cartridges, the primer pocket near as big around as the case. It didn't go far, and for a while one could order empty primed .22 Magnum cases to allow a shooter to custom taylor loads for his rifle or pistol.

The cases were also used to make rounds for the shorter chambered .22 auto loader cartridge some early Winchester auto rifles were chambered for.
My dad has one of the single sixes that was converted to 22 CCM. I watch him load his brass over and over and over and over, and pay like $1.50 per box. I paid 10-14 dollers for mag ammo today.

KYCaster
01-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Is this what you're looking for Daniel??

Bullshop
01-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Its hard to tell from the pic but from here the pin looks slightly off center to the bottom.
I mean the distance from pin to top of shield looks greater than from pin to bottom of shield.It would not have to be much.

KYCaster
01-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Its hard to tell from the pic but from here the pin looks slightly off center to the bottom.
I mean the distance from pin to top of shield looks greater than from pin to bottom of shield.It would not have to be much.

It must be the camera angle that makes it look like that. With the trigger back, hammer down and firing pin protruding, it's pretty well centered in the hole.

Jerry