PDA

View Full Version : Cant Decide which one

AviatorTroy
01-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Ive been looking for a levergun for a while. I'm definatly interested in something in .357 since I already cast and reload for that cartridge. Some things to consider...

1. Accuracy

2. Practicality (except I hate stainless steel, so let's not go there.)

3. Will it swallow .38 spc? (fairly important, I have a ton of brass)

4. Smooth action, generally decent build quality.

5. Action strength. I'd like to run pretty hot loads through it.

6. Historical significance in design doesn't matter that much to me, I have plenty of other firearms to fill that roll.

I was in love with the Marlins for a while, but now the Henry Big Boy has caught my eye. Pros and cons?

Thanks guys!

awaveritt
01-07-2010, 12:50 AM
I just got the 1894c Marlin for Christmas and I really like it. The Henrys I've picked up look nice but are a lot heavier, which I feel, sort of defeats the purpose of a quick pointing short lever action, FWIW.

I haven't had the Marlin long enough to comment on it's accuracy potential, but the build quality and fit is good. The trigger is crisp with no creep and the pull is light enough for my taste. The action was a little stiff out of the box but has slicked up on its own after cycling the action a few hundred times while watching bowl games. I understand from reading that the marlin action should handle the heaviest published handgun loads in 357. My rifle reliably cycles SWC, RNFP, LRN, and Jacketed rounds in either 357 or 38. It did not feed a dummy wadcutter.

Overall, I'm tickled with new Marlin and wholeheartedly recommend it. It's only been out to play once but was a lot of fun. As soon as it gets a little warmer I'm headed back out to see what it likes to eat. I plan to eventually get a skinner peep sight for it. I like the looks and feel of the Marlin but, of course, that's a subjective thing. Good luck and have fun in your search.

truckmsl
01-07-2010, 01:29 AM
My Marlin will feed .38 full wadcutters just fine if I load them longer than flush, and 38 swc just as well as .357. I put a Wild West trigger on it to eliminate the marlin floppy trigger. Sized to .359 it shoots cast very well. 50 to 80 yard accuracy is very good - I haven't done a lot of 100 yard load development yet, as I use it mainly for plinking. It is a very fun gun to shoot. It is also very easy to break down and clean.

Bullshop Junior
01-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Con - Henry's are heavy.

I have a Marlin 94c 357 mag, that is WELL worn, and has a bulged barrel. It has trouble with 38 spl from time to time, but Like it said it is well worn.

Even with the bulged barrel, it is very accurate. My favorite all around beater gun at this time.

Sprue
01-07-2010, 03:30 AM
FWIW I have the Marlin 1894c as well. Its digested everything that I've chambered in 38 spl or 357's. All of which are/were SWC's checked & non.

NickSS
01-07-2010, 06:01 AM
I have two Marlin 94 in 357 mag one is the standard carbine and the other is the 24 inch cowboy rifle. Both function and shoot very well with several loads. I do size my bullets in a .360 sizing die but it really only wipes the lube on so they are basically shot as cast. I also have a Rossi Puma 92 carbine which I also like and it shoots accurately for what I use it for. Prior the the Rossi I owned a Winchester 94 angle eject trapper carbine in 357 mag. It shot well but It had one issue that I could not cure it of so it got sold. The issue was that occasionally if i was cycling the lever fast it would let a second round out of the magazine and under the cartridge lifter. This would tie up the rifle and also two times resulted in a broken lifter. I looked at the lifter design and determined that the lifter was narrower than other 94 lifters and did not have the supporting strut on the left side that all others have. This design in that caliber is a weak spot. When I broke the second lifter and found that I had to got to a different parts source to ge a replacement and the replacement cost me three times as much as the first one I broke the rifle went bye bye really fast after it was fixed. I bought the rossi and since then have never looked back.

rob45
01-07-2010, 08:25 AM
Well, after 5 responses I believe the Marlin is batting a thousand. So I'll say the Marlin simply because I have no experience with the Henry. I've never owned or even pulled the trigger on a Henry; only hefted one at the gunshop.

I like to think of the Marlin as the small block Chevy of the small action levers.
When we were young, it didn't matter if you liked the mouse motor or not, or if it was the fastest or not. Everybody in the neighborhood had one simply because everyone else did too, and we all knew it was no problem finding parts for it, or finding someone who knew how to make it run better if we didn't know how.

beagle
01-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Well, I'll jump on here with another M1894C Marlin amen. Get the short, round barrel. Scoped it should give you 1 1/2" at 100 at least. Mine digests hot .38 Specials like eating peanuts....see Castpics/articles by members/High Speed .38 Special Loads for data.

I keep at least 1,000 rounds loaded for use around the place here and have broken one firing pin in over 20K rounds fired.

Load her up and shoot all day./beagle

AviatorTroy
01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
OK very good, I do and have always liked the Marlin, and even the Rossi I have heard good things about too. I know the Henry is heavy. Not sure if I would want to lug it around, but that would help accuracy. I think if I get a good deal on one I'd take it but otherwise, Ill step up the search for a Marlin...

1874Sharps
01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Aviator Troy,

I would like to put in a plug for the 1873 Winchester replicas. I have never seen a smoother lever gun action than the toggle link type found on the 1873 (and earlier) lever guns. The 1873 has a steel frame and is strong enough to be manufactured in .357 Mag. as well as other calibers. It certainly is not as strong as a Marlin, but it is strong enough. A carbine with an 18 or 20 inch barrel is most handy and lively. The 1873s are a bit more pricey, but I can well recommend them as worth it (I use a Cimmaron).

1874Sharps
01-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Aviator Troy,

BTW, were you a Naval Aviator?

AviatorTroy
01-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Went to Cabela's today not to buy, just to see what they had...

Still didn't mind the Henry at all, beautiful gun, but yea it was heavy. They had a bunch of Marlins and Winchesters, none in .357 of course. I liked the Winchesters but most of the ones they had were the top eject, and that is DQ'ed due to my "practicality clause". I also thought I wanted the straight grip medium comb stock, but after handling them I decided that the curved pistol grip high comb is ten times more comfortable and a more natural position for me to put holes in tin cans, milk jugs, coyotes, and sheets of paper.

I ALMOST walked out of there with a spectacular Smith Corona manufactured '03A3. But, that is not what I was there for I guess.... :groner:

BTW Sharps, I fly corporate aircraft...