PDA

View Full Version : M Die or...

pearson1662
01-06-2010, 11:12 PM
...Lyman Multi-Expander and Powder Charge Die. Do they do different things or does the multi-expander do the same thing as the M dies. Does the multi expander do the same thing that the powder through expander die of my three die set from lee? I don't seem to find the M die for most handgun calibers and it seems like that is the niche for the multi-expander.

Maven
01-07-2010, 03:09 AM
pearson1662, Both the expander you mentioned and the powder charging die are designed for pistol cartridges. They are used in conjunction with Lyman's pistol powder measure, which screws into the top of the powder charging die with the proper expander placed inside. The expander and powder charging die work very well, as does the powder measure, which can also be used independently.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-07-2010, 07:15 AM
I use those Lee powder thru dies in rifle applications too, where possible. BvT

NVcurmudgeon
01-07-2010, 11:26 AM
I use my Lyman powder through expander die with both the Hornady Pistol measure and the RCBS Uniflow. (I forget-I was an Exxon dealer for years and can't remember whether Exxon's oil gets the "W" or is it RCBS' measure.)

wallenba
01-07-2010, 11:47 AM
The multi expander comes with 'M' expanders to cover about 9 pistol cartridge calibers as well as charge the case. The regular M die is caliber specific and does not have the charge thru feature. See>>> http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/precision-speciality-dies.php
What the Lyman M die does is put a concentric "step" in the case to form a kind on ledge that the cast boolit can rest squarely on and be seated truer than a belled case mouth. I use an M die in my turret press AND the Lee charge thru expander die as well, except the Lee expander button has been turned down so as not to upset the M die work. This is just so that I can use my Lee Auto-disk measures (which won't work with the Lyman multi expand charge die). I then crimp separately.

montana_charlie
01-07-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't seem to find the M die for most handgun calibers
If you use Lyman's 'die picker' at http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/dies/precision-pistol-dies.php , you can get M dies for pistol calibers.
CM

truckmsl
01-07-2010, 03:18 PM
As long as we're on the subject, are the M dies more sensitive to case length than the Lee expander for the belling function (pistol and rifle)?

wallenba
01-07-2010, 04:52 PM
As long as we're on the subject, are the M dies more sensitive to case length than the Lee expander for the belling function (pistol and rifle)?

It would be best if all cases were trimmed to uniform length, but a happy medium can be obtained with the M die if you don't. I don't think they make M dies for all rifle cartridges.