PDA

View Full Version : Remington 7600

rob45
01-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these?

I have a friend who would like to sell me one in 30-06. It's the carbine version in a synthetic stock. It has less than a box of rounds through it, and I may be able to pick it up for a fair price.

I'm primarily interested in the longevity and reliability of the gun. I like to shoot my guns a lot, so this isn't something to only be used for sighting in and taking hunting.

Any cold weather problems? (I have a 700 that gives me fits when temps go below freezing.)
What is the availability of extra magazines?
Can the trigger be improved upon in any way, or is it something I just have to live with? (Factory trigger leaves a lot to be desired.)
How feasible is it to convert to 338-06 or 35 Whelen?

I am not very familiar with these types of actions. Most of my rifles are lever actions, along with a few bolt actions.
My brother had one of the Remington semi-autos and had so many problems with it he sold it after having it less than two months. Is this pump the same basic design?

Any help is appreciated.

dubber123
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Fair bit of experience in 6mm and .280 Rem mod. 760's. They seem to hold up fine, and shoot well. The rattling pump bugs me, but some people don't care. Mags are no problem. The trigger can be worked with a hone and spring swap. Any decent gunsmith should be able to help you out. If you are reasonably handy, you can do it yourself.

jh45gun
01-07-2010, 12:12 AM
The action is the same as the semi auto's but since you manually pump the action of the 7600 as you did the 760 the receivers do not wear out like they did on the semi auto 740 and the later 742. I would suppose the 7600 is improved over the 760 like the 7400 was improved over the 742 with less but larger locking lugs and a better improved and harder steel rail system. The Pump guns never had the issues the semi auto's did with the receivers wearing out on the rail system.

two dogs
01-07-2010, 07:56 AM
there are more 760/7600 pumps sold in pa. than all the states combined.they just flat out work.i have one of the first year production 35s ever built.it has killed a pile of deer.it is my bad weather gun,never drilled and tapped.as far as the 700 problem sounds like to much oil to me.i have used them in -25 degrees with no problems.

GabbyM
01-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Agree with oil and dirt being your issue with the 700.
Need to strip the bolt down and rinse it out. I use ATF for a rust proofing oil. It's synthetic so stays fluid at lower temps than I'll stand up to. I've seen men remove the firing pin assembly bare handed but I use a spring compressor.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=492351

You'll need to degrees the trigger group and safety also. Again wet this with a synthetic oil that will not gel at low temps. If you coat everything with sewing machine oil, which is thin mineral oil, on a day like today you'll get one shot then not be able to lift the bolt. That's what the Germans experienced at the battle of Stalingrad. Their Mauser locked up with by the book maintenance they all used. Soviets had been their done that so knew to cut their oil with a bit of gasoline and of course had built their rifles loose to work at home. Using no oil doesn't work as the whole thing will rust up solid in less than a day. That all in mind if you can't work a bolt gun in the cold you'll surely not be able to get a rotating bolt pump or auto to function.

The Remington auto rifle commonly suffers from lack of cleaning due to the owner not knowing how to strip the action down. It all clogs up with powder residue after a few hundred rounds. Auto shotguns do he same thing. You have to at least own a chamber brush to keep the locking lug slots in the barrel clean and know how to clean the gas system. A guy I know bought a Remington auto rifle last fall for half price. Owner said it was junk as it jammed on every shot. Buyer ran a chamber brush in it and shot a box of ammo with no problems. Didn't even strip it down just brushed out the lug area and chamber.

On the auto shotguns anyway it's usually people heavily oiling the gas piston assembly. A few shots and all that oil turns to carbon. I've seen a guy solve this by poring in more oil. By the end of the evening shooting trap he couldn't push the bolt closed by hand. I offered to show him how to strip and clean it but he just got all pissy with me declaring it was a piece of junk and would be traded off.

I bought an AR-15 once which had the bolt locked up solid in the carrier. Someone thought those two gas port holes in the bolt were for pouring in motor oil. Took me three days to soak the carbon out to where I could remove the bolt from it's carrier. To my amazement all the piston rings were still good and no new parts were required. My conclusion was the AR-15 was one tough gun. Guy that sold it said he should of known better than to buy a Mattel gun.

buckweet
01-08-2010, 08:10 PM
7600 like mine are just super acurate rifles, you'll love it,
i sent my trigger to bill springfield, www.triggerwork.net
all the gritty is gone, still has alot of free play, but now its smoothe as a baby butt.
mine is also 06' it LOVES the 220's

if i only got to keep just ''one'' centerfire rifle, this one would be it.