PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 14 Opinions please

DanM
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
I am looking to buy a Remington model 14 pump in 32rem. What do yall think of these rifles? I have several 8x57 molds and a RD mold for 32WS that I hope to use for it. Does that sound do-able? Can I use pointy bullets in it? Thanks

oldhickory
01-06-2010, 07:40 PM
No-no on the pointy boolits, Dan. The 14 uses a tube magazine simmiler to a Winchester 1894. Slug your bore, the mold for .32WS should work out just fine, and loading data for the .32SPL should do also.

Clyde
01-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Beg to differ! The Rem 14/141 uses a spiral tube magazine designed to offset the point of the bullet so that it does not contact the primer. It works well.

docone31
01-06-2010, 07:56 PM
That is what I thought also.
I remember seeing one. It had a spiral tube.

oldhickory
01-06-2010, 08:08 PM
Beg to differ! The Rem 14/141 uses a spiral tube magazine designed to offset the point of the bullet so that it does not contact the primer. It works well.

Come to think of it, you're right. I stand corrected. Thank you, Clyde.

Marvin S
01-06-2010, 08:25 PM
I had one in 30 Rem for a couple years and it had the sprial mag that allowed sprial points but they would usually be to long to feed. It was a neat gun but accuracy was not very good

NVcurmudgeon
01-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Dan, the Rem. 14/141 are a Pederson design, of WWI Springfield device fame. I enjoy the funkiness of the reciprocating magazine on my 141 in .30 Rem. They are all takedown and made of parts carved out of big chunks of steel. They are slick working and at least as accurate as a Win. 94. You will be taken aback by the price of dies, shop around for used. The Rem. cases are NOT identical to the commoner Win. cartridges. Get the right dies and for best results full length size. Pump guns are notoriously intolerant of ammo that doesn't fit because of limited camming power. Huntington's, next door to RCBS in Oroville CA, has .30 Rem. brass in huge lots, I don't know about .32 Rem. but it is an easy conversion to go from .30 to .32 in your regular sizing die. Jacketed bullets for .32 Win Special are good, and of course cast is no problem. I have never loaded for .32 Rem. but imagine that common .32 Win. Special designs will work. Original sights are a ramped front and an open sight on the barrel. There is a long discontinued Lyman tang sight that is attached by the two screws at the rear of the receiver. The Lyman is really cool if you can find one, but pricey. That sight fits all Model 8, 81, 14, and 141. They were never factory drilled and tapped for receiver sights or scope mounts, so don't pay top dollar for one that has been D&T. Good luck, they are really a fun gun.

R.C. Hatter
01-07-2010, 12:47 AM
:coffeecom The Model 14 Remington is a very handy woods rifle. I own one in .32 Remington and its accuracy is as good or better than Winchester 94s. To obtain a supply of brass, you will have to purchase or trade for Remington-made .30 Remington brass and neck it up to the required .32 caliber. This is easily done with one pass through the sizer die. After the initial firing, only neck sizing will be necessary in most cases. The dies can be had from Redding but they are pricey. As to bullets, both Speer and Hornady produce jacketed bullets which are very good, however, I prefer the old Lyman # 321297 G.C. in wheel weight alloy, as it is easier on the bore. Yes, you can use spire pointed bullets as that is the very reason for the distinctive spiral magazine tube, to offset the bullet point from the primer in the case ahead of it. Hope this helps you out.

quack1
01-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I have one in 35 Rem. Great little gun. Points just like a shotgun-just the thing for deer in the thick stuff. Kind of like hunting rabbits, in fact, in this part of Pa. there are probably more deer than rabbits. I have a peep sight mounted on it and get surprisingly good accuracy with 200gr Hornady jacketed and with #358430 and #358311 cast. If the price is right, buy it, you won't be dissappionted.

DanM
01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys....Case forming for the 32Rem doesn't sound too tough, but I forgot about the high cost of custom grade dies. The rifle design is very interesting, but maybe I should look for one in 35Rem instead. Common brass, molds, ect would be good. Will keep looking....

Bret4207
01-08-2010, 08:27 AM
I have a set of dies I got prior to a failed purchase. PM me if you're interested.