PDA

View Full Version : Shooters Choice and table tops.

Changeling
01-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Does anyone know if chemicals like Shooters Choice and similar type products will hurt an oak type table that is finished in whatever they finish these type tables in. I'm having a rough time just not using my dining room table to work/clean on.

Give me the horror stories first, if any?

oldhickory
01-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Let me just say this...No good can come of it. Well, unless you were going to sand, stain, and finish it anyway...

My "old woman" don't tolerate that stuff! I have a summer kitchen with a bench for such things. Don't do it.

376Steyr
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
I saw a spilled bottle of Hoppes #9 melt a vinyl floor tile once. Plus bristle bore brushes spray nasty black gunk surprising distances, undoubtedly landing on the drapes and walls. If you aren't single now, you soon will be if you clean guns on the dining room table.

Potsy
01-07-2010, 12:40 AM
Solvents and wood finishes (like, on your gun) don't typically get along very well. I try to avoid contact (with stock wood)wherever possible.
A big spot on your wifes' (if applicable) dining room table could cause her concern about how hard she'd have to hit you on the back of the head to stain her rolling pin.
Folding tables are cheap.

Shiloh
01-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Some strong ammonia in Shooters Choice. I'd be real careful with any gun cleaning solvents around finished furniture.

You didn't mention if you were married. If so, SWMBO would have something to say about your cleaning activities on the dining room table.

I stumbled upon an old card table at a Salvation Army store. an old fashioned sturdy one.
Used that as my cleaning platform.

Shiloh

Rodfac
01-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Here's my story...I did the same thing, 35 yrs ago...and that was when we got the NEW dining room table...seems she'd been planning how to get me to buy a new dining room set. Can't say if it was Hoppe's or Shooter's Choice as I was using both back then.

I should have been suspicious since she usually offers specific instruction on the "where and when" of my projects...but this time she was...who'd a guessed..."strangely silent".

Regards, Rodfac

2shot
01-07-2010, 08:46 PM
I made a new large reloading bench last year and used sanded one side birch plywood for the top so that I could varnish it and have a smooth finnish. It in an "L" shape and measures 8 feet long in each section and 2 feet deep for a total of 16 feet. I made it large so that I could use on section for cleaning my pistols (I do a lot of NRA Bullseye competion). ANYWAY, I used one of the water based urathain (spelling?) varnishes and I can tell you for a fact that Shooters Choice takes the finnish right off and does it in seconds.

Yes Shooters choice will take off water based varnishes. Hope your oak table doesn't have any of this stuff for a finnish!

2shot

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-07-2010, 09:18 PM
My wife and I both clean our guns at the dining room table . . . but we use one of those vynal/plastic table covers . . .

Changeling
01-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Alright guys you all got the message across, man I'm really glad I asked before I brought the 45 up stairs for cleaning. Thanks to all.
I've always cleaned my rifles in the basement on the bench revolvers being a lot smaller I started getting ideas, I guess the wrong ideas!!!!!!!
Not married, Rodfac, I see your point, maybe thats why, LOL.

Dale53
01-08-2010, 04:55 PM
Here's my story...I did the same thing, 35 yrs ago...and that was when we got the NEW dining room table...seems she'd been planning how to get me to buy a new dining room set. Can't say if it was Hoppe's or Shooter's Choice as I was using both back then.

I should have been suspicious since she usually offers specific instruction on the "where and when" of my projects...but this time she was...who'd a guessed..."strangely silent".

Regards, Rodfac

Pretty funny, Rodfac!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dale53