PDA

View Full Version : Shot my chrony today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rwt101
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Yep I went to the range and was trying out my brand new F1 Master chrony-----------and shot that SOB dead center in the front and took out everything inside----------And that was the first shot---------I didn't know I was that good!!!!!!!!Man that 9mm LRN does a good job. Now I know if I am attacked by a chrony that I can kill it.

I guess I should have aimed at it, then I would not have hit it.

Very expensive shot.
Bob T:sad:

Freightman
01-06-2010, 06:07 PM
I would feel sorry for you but! join the club.

SCHUETZENBOOMER
01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Bob,

Last summer I was getting set up to chrony some loads. Had all my stuff set-up and had (10) shots each of about 2 dozen loads to shoot. A guy shooting his new 17HMR wanted to shoot across the chrony. I told him no-problem...with the caveat that if he hits it he buys it. I showed him where to shoot. At the shot my remote reads 9999-fps. Hmmmmmm. I walk up and sure enough, he nailed it dead center. He wrote me a check on the spot. Give Chrony a call and they will replace just what is needed for less than the entire unit.

gray wolf
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Are you gonna have it mounted? A shoulder mount would look cool.

GW.

rockrat
01-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Glad to know I am not the only one. Killed two last fall!!

gray wolf
01-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Wow two in one season forget the mount --that clls for a diaramma --glass case and all

docone31
01-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Where are the trophy photos?

rwt101
01-06-2010, 06:47 PM
OK if I must. Now yall can laugh!!

Bob T

mroliver77
01-06-2010, 06:49 PM
I bought one with most of the electronics in the readout box that sits at the bench. I know sooner or later I will shoot it. I had a gas check take a bite out of one of the screen covers so far.
Jay

docone31
01-06-2010, 06:55 PM
YOu almost got it dead center!
Good shooting!
Did it flop around?
Wow, that really sucks. good thing it was an old one.

Jim
01-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Well, I admire you for your shooting skills. I hate to see a wound shot and the game run off to die.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-06-2010, 07:04 PM
9mm is a little overkill for game that size, don't ya think?

OutHuntn84
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Wonder if anyone will ever build a balistic shield around thier crony. Ive never played with one, dont know if it would mess with your readings or not. Seems to be a common problem.

Gussy
01-06-2010, 07:10 PM
That's gonna' make some tough gravy!! It'd go well with my tag stew.
Gus

When I got my chrony, I could see that happening......... I used some small wood dowels and put the covers waaaaay up so I could shoot higher and be safe.....so far so good.

softpoint
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Wonder if anyone will ever build a balistic shield around thier crony. Ive never played with one, dont know if it would mess with your readings or not. Seems to be a common problem.
Nah, no one will build a shield, 'cause no one is going to shoot THEIR chrony!!
AR 15's with scopes are outstanding for this type of hunting, with their line of sight several inches above the bore. Many chrony hunters prefer the AR.

docone31
01-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Is there a muzzle loading season for Chrony's?

rwt101
01-06-2010, 07:22 PM
YOu almost got it dead center!
Good shooting!
Did it flop around?
Wow, that really sucks. good thing it was an old one.

That wasn't an old one, that was th efirst time I used it. Just got it for Christmas.

Bob T

Maven
01-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Bob T, If you haven't already done so, telephone Shooting Chrony and explain the circumstances. They may offer a repair or replacement of yours. Don't ask how I know this. And yes, they laughed at me when I told them my tale of woe.

jbunny
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
u should take a look at my post boolit proof my chrony.
jb

rwt101
01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Bob T, If you haven't already done so, telephone Shooting Chrony and explain the circumstances. They may offer a repair or replacement of yours. Don't ask how I know this. And yes, they laughed at me when I told them my tale of woe.

I already called. $49.95 for the unit complete less the remote screen.

Bob T

GP100man
01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I gleaned somewhere to use chopsticks , I started hi & got all kinds of errors then get nerve enuff to shoot lower.

I marked the chopstiks with a magic marker where the errors stopped , I needed the screens once so I made some cardboard ones to fit my chopstiks .

Oh yeah I place a brick in front of it, maybe it`ll deflect it some!!

docone31
01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Man, that really sucks.
I could see it if it was an old one, but a new one!
Bummer indeed.
I hope it gets resolved, and if not, there is enough to make one that cannot be shot out.
Hopefully you missed the goodies.

rwt101
01-06-2010, 08:20 PM
u should take a look at my post boolit proof my chrony.
jb

I just looked at that post. Looks good. I'll have to do something.

Bob T

jhrosier
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm not gonna say a thing.
I shot the screen for my Ohler M33 and just the screen was $85.
You'da thunk they would make these things out of tougher material.
You aren't going to carry it around all day so five cents worth of 1/2" steel plate on the front would be nice.

Jack

markinalpine
01-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Here's a recent thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67956&highlight=chrony

Mark :coffeecom

AZ-Stew
01-06-2010, 08:44 PM
:groner: :rolleyes:

This ain't rocket science, folks.

1.) ALWAYS shoot from a rest when chronographing, whether shooting handgun or rifle.

2.) Once you get your firearm positioned on the rest, look toward the target along the SIDE of the barrel to ensure the barrel is aligned above the sky screens (sensors) and below the sun shades (diffusers). Look along the TOP of the barrel to be sure the barrel is aligned between the sun shade supports.

That's all there is to it. No more perforated chronographs, though those shooting gas checked boolits might want to put some Lexan over the front of the display to deflect checks that separate from the boolit. With a unit that allows separation of the display from the sensors so it can be placed on the bench, this isn't needed, either.

Regards,

Stew

trk
01-06-2010, 09:08 PM
So if I ever get a chronograph, I will build a shield for it - something that will absorb the bullet.

That MIGHT be a problem though - designing something that will absorb fast bullets like 22-250's and big bullets like 500 gr .458WM.

phaessler
01-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Been there done it, twice. Once with a .22-250Ackley, was comical, the neat little hole thru everything. And the second time with a shotgun slug, the wad/gas seal did it in. They make it pretty clear in the instructions it can happen, but hey it can be replaced. Eye, ears, fingers, and other body parts cant.

Pete

Rockydog
01-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I've been told that there are only two types of Chronys. Those that have been shot and those that will be. Sorry for your bad luck. RD

jbunny
01-06-2010, 09:23 PM
my deflector is 1inch mild steel and the ding in the deflecter is 375 h&h.
a thick piece of scrap grader blade which is heat treated would deflect a 50
BMG if set at a 45deg
jb

Longrange
01-06-2010, 09:34 PM
I have a piece of 1.5 inch armor plate that I welded legs to and place it infront of my crony. I however did kill 2 before I finally built it.

:bigsmyl2:

JIMinPHX
01-06-2010, 09:42 PM
The good news is - they have a very liberal trade-in policy.

"USE ANY CHRONOGRAPH AS A TRADE-IN
We accept even damaged, shot-up, or any make chronograph. "

http://shootingchrony.com/products_TTIYC.htm

jbunny
01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
u have to remember to relace the aluminum guide rods as well as haveing a deflecter
plate. if u hit the aluminum rod it will brake the photo eye. i have seen it happen.
thats why i have straws.
jb

Tazman1602
01-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I already called. $49.95 for the unit complete less the remote screen.

Bob T

Bob it happens to all of us. In 1990 my wife and I moved into our new house we'd built from the ground up, nice 44' long back deck right off the kitchen and dining room with French doors and the kitchen sink overlooks the back woods.

Got one nice buck in '91 out the kitchen window, great shot that I am and was shooting 20-06 at the time.

'92 and another nice buck comes walking by. Look at me, I'm an expert marksman. Haul out the '06 and WHAM! Lots of smoke I couldn't figure out, wonder what that was, better go get the deer....

.....no blood, no hair, nothing. What is up? I don't miss with the '06???? I tracked the deer for MILES in the snow without finding any sign of a wound.

THREE YEARS later wife and I are having a raging argument and I walk over to the sink and lean with my arms crossed looking out the back admiring the back deck I built trying to get my mind off the argument..........but WHY did I drill that hole on the railllliiiiinnnggg................................ ....and I realized I'd rested the rifle on the window sill and the barrel was about 1.5" lower than the scope.............three years earlier........and walked miles through the snow tracking that deer...............

.........and yup, that hole is .308 diameter and wife will NOT let me fix it......................

Glad Chrony is going to take care of you, they've been AWFUL good to me over the years.

Art

rwt101
01-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Well that is a good one. I really thought I was high enough to clear it. I hate getting old!!
Bob T

Tazman1602
01-06-2010, 11:27 PM
I don't have that excuse since I was 34 and didn't need glasses in '92........................

docone31
01-06-2010, 11:31 PM
It feels so good to not be alone!
I never had to explain to my 2nd exwife.
Good thing.
Never did fix the hole.

leadman
01-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Next time don't tape the target to the skyscreen rods!

I had a Hornady gas check off a 22 cal boolit go thru the display on my first one.

rwt101
01-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Next time don't tape the target to the skyscreen rods!

I had a Hornady gas check off a 22 cal boolit go thru the display on my first one.

You mean those rods are not there to hold the target?

Now you tell me.

Bob T

Shiloh
01-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Been there done that. A 220 gr RN from a Krag. Sent the remnants in to Chrony for the 10% deal on any non working chronograph towards a new one.

I'd like them to post pics of some of the ones they get traded in:bigsmyl2:

Shiloh

beagle
01-07-2010, 12:51 AM
My old shooting partner got his with a M95 Marlin .45/70. Chrony fixed it but it wasn't cheap.

Even after I armor plated mine with Lexan, it kept taking GCs. Anybody blast one and need the housing only, I got one./beagle

truckmsl
01-07-2010, 01:04 AM
I was shooting through my chrony with a .40 cal pistol when the guy next to me let go with a 45-70 just as I was pulling the trigger. Startled me just enough to cause a flinch. Goodbye chrony, hello dead chrony club.

Bigjohn
01-07-2010, 01:27 AM
With all of these Chrony's being shot, you would think they would sell 'em with scoring zones printed on them.

10 points for the screen out to 1 point for the diffuser. :violin:

Bullshop Junior
01-07-2010, 02:37 AM
With all of these Chrony's being shot, you would think they would sell 'em with scoring zones printed on them.

10 points for the screen out to 1 point for the diffuser. :violin:
You should start a "Upgrade" custom shop!

rwt101
01-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Chrony Armor Designer Series?

Bob T

lwknight
01-07-2010, 07:00 AM
I have really enjoyed this thread. After seeing Jbunny's armored chrony, I know how to get those 100 and 200 yard ballistics readings. I never had the nerve to try it without.
I hope to stay a virgin in this catagory though.

Bulltipper
01-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Tippet was with me when i blasted mine, 125 grain .308 strolling at 3200. looked good through the scope but the bullet kissed the case. couldn't believe the frag damage... Chrony is a great company with outstanding customer service.

rwt101
01-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Yep guaranteed customers HEHEHE. I think there is an invisable bullseye on the front.
Bob T

gds
01-07-2010, 10:09 AM
I fear the day I shoot mine. I have been very careful so far, however I am fully aware that one day I will put a bullet through it. Hopefully that will keep me from doing so. But I also thought I would never have a negligent discharge, and unfortunately I have had 3 over the past 17 years. Thankfully I always follow the keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

lwknight
01-07-2010, 10:22 AM
They say that there are 2 kinds of M/C riders. Those that have gone down and those that will go down.

There are 2 kinds of duelly pichup trucks. Those with fenders knocked off and those that will be knocked off.

And, evidently 2 kinds of chronographs.

dakotashooter2
01-07-2010, 02:58 PM
It's a wonder they bother putting the display on the unit at all. I'm gonna spend the few extra buck for the one with the remote display.

The best way to NOT shoot it is to probably put a bullseye over the display.:bigsmyl2:

trk
01-07-2010, 10:41 PM
Bob it happens to all of us. In 1990 my wife and I moved into our new house we'd built from the ground up, nice 44' long back deck right off the kitchen and dining room with French doors and the kitchen sink overlooks the back woods.

Got one nice buck in '91 out the kitchen window, great shot that I am and was shooting 20-06 at the time.

'92 and another nice buck comes walking by. Look at me, I'm an expert marksman. Haul out the '06 and WHAM! Lots of smoke I couldn't figure out, wonder what that was, better go get the deer....

.....no blood, no hair, nothing. What is up? I don't miss with the '06???? I tracked the deer for MILES in the snow without finding any sign of a wound.

THREE YEARS later wife and I are having a raging argument and I walk over to the sink and lean with my arms crossed looking out the back admiring the back deck I built trying to get my mind off the argument..........but WHY did I drill that hole on the railllliiiiinnnggg................................ ....and I realized I'd rested the rifle on the window sill and the barrel was about 1.5" lower than the scope.............three years earlier........and walked miles through the snow tracking that deer...............

.........and yup, that hole is .308 diameter and wife will NOT let me fix it......................

Glad Chrony is going to take care of you, they've been AWFUL good to me over the years.

Art

Quite a few years ago a friend was shooting woodchucks with a 22-250. Quite some distance. Had the misfortune of using the railroad rail for a rest. Put little bits and pieces of a 55 gr bullet all over when it hit the other rail.

Tazman1602
01-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Quite a few years ago a friend was shooting woodchucks with a 22-250. Quite some distance. Had the misfortune of using the railroad rail for a rest. Put little bits and pieces of a 55 gr bullet all over when it hit the other rail.

OH MAN that could have HURT!!!!

rwt101
01-08-2010, 12:59 AM
When I get my replacement I am going to find a way to put the rods at a different location also. As was mentioned here , if you hit one it will take out the sensor.
Bob T

LeadThrower
01-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Now you guys are making me nervous for my chrony!

My buddy reloads shotshells and wanted them clocked but didn't have the guts to shoot over my chrony himself. I did the honors and just taped a double layer of cardboard over the front to protect from a wayward wad. I've got the model with the remote readout. Chrony survived just fine... perhaps I was only lucky.

Seeing Jbunny's bullet-proofing made me think... What about a tube (or two) of ballistic gel in front of the chrony's face? Save the chrony and get some bullet expansion data in the process!

C A Plater
01-08-2010, 05:23 AM
When I get my replacement I am going to find a way to put the rods at a different location also. As was mentioned here , if you hit one it will take out the sensor.
Bob T

Use wood dowels instead of the steel rods. When you hit one they just shatter and leave the Chrony intact.

rwt101
01-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Use wood dowels instead of the steel rods. When you hit one they just shatter and leave the Chrony intact.

Yes I think that is a good idea.

Bob T

Freischütz
01-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I've never shot my chronograph, but I have executed a few skyscreens.

48bpcr
01-09-2010, 06:12 PM
I blew a hole through my 1st one with a Grease Cookie on top of 85 grns of elaphant 2f black. No wads, nothing. Right on top of the powder!
45Bpcr

imashooter2
01-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Always use a rest, always use a target and your Chrony will live a long and happy life.

Gun-adian
01-18-2010, 12:44 AM
****ATTENTION MODS......WE NEED A DEAD CHRONO STICKY!!!!!****

Sign me up for the "I Killed My Chrony" club......

I was checking out velocities of some .45 Colt shotshells when my unit expired.

You can see in the pics where the impacts were. A total of four #7.5 lead pellets hit the front panel. Two of them skipped over the top without doing too much damage (I think...).

The last two hit right in the guts of the thing. One punched through the LCD display and the other smacked dead on the IC chip beside the LCD.

It wasn't spectacular.....but it's still dead.

Mike

rwt101
01-18-2010, 12:49 AM
****ATTENTION MODS......WE NEED A DEAD CHRONO STICKY!!!!!****

Sign me up for the "I Killed My Chrony" club......

I was checking out velocities of some .45 Colt shotshells when my unit expired.

You can see in the pics where the impacts were. A total of four #7.5 lead pellets hit the front panel. Two of them skipped over the top without doing too much damage (I think...).

The last two hit right in the guts of the thing. One punched through the LCD display and the other smacked dead on the IC chip beside the LCD.

It wasn't spectacular.....but it's still dead.

Mike

My condolences. Welcome to the Chrony killers club. HEHEHEHE

Bob T

fatelk
01-18-2010, 01:46 AM
And here I thought I was the only one! I guess it's not such an exclusive club after all.

My first one from the early '90s was wounded by a 12ga wad, survived with just the replacement of the digital readout screen. It finally met it's doom when it jumped up into the path of a speeding 173gr. .30 caliber bullet. I still suspect suicide.

It's replacement, here, was unscathed until a couple weeks ago. A friend wanted to shoot his .17HMR across it. I had him aim high out of caution but it just wouldn't pick up those itty-bitty bullets. He aimed a little lower...

He felt real bad and wanted to pay for a new one, but it still works fine so I told him not to worry about it.

It has some character now, and it's wound will remind me every time I use it to be a little more careful.

lwknight
01-18-2010, 02:08 AM
I'm really enjoying this thread.
Since we spend hundreds of $$ on guns and some more on reloading tools then add to that consumables like powder and primers, a wounded/killed chronograph is just part of it.
So far not a scratch on mine but I really worry about it. I guess I should just be careful and not worry cause sooner or later it is bound to happen.

Tom308
01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
I feel a lot better now. I used a .45-70 on mine. Stopped in in it's tracks with one shot to the brain. Didn't eat it though. Too tough to chew. My aim is improving.

rwt101
01-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Got my replacement Chrony today. It doesn't want to come out of the box? The word must be out that I am a Chrony killer!!!

Bob t

wiljen
01-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I killed mine awhile back too. One .458 boolit right through the heart. I couldn't have hit the damned thing any more dead center if I had wanted to.

Crash_Corrigan
01-18-2010, 07:32 PM
There I was having a fine day shooting my Ruger RH .44 Mag with some developmental loads and I was almost there.

I had brought my press to the range and I was upping the powder charge gradually and trying to find the best accuracy.

I was really into it and was very focused on what I was doing. Only this time I had forgotten to slip down the ear muffs over my ears and I had the sights lined up on the target and had just place my finger on the trigger.....

When a new shooter, unnoticed by me, fired off his rifle. My world came unglued and I flinched and yanked the trigger. The round caught the steel rod and put a perfect bend in it but did no other damage. I looked to my left and there was a Couch Commando with his total camo outfit and a .50 Barrett. No sooner than I looked when another missile was launched and I had a close up view of gas and flames spewing from that huge muzzle brake and causing dust to fly up from the ground and paint to fall from the overhead. The sound was beyond belief and it hurt my head.

I rapidly got up and stepped back as far as I could, brought down the ear muffs and watched again as this cannon was fired again.

This guy did not even bring a target. He brought only 5 rounds and fired at the berm and left without a word.

I had ringing in the ears for a few days but I wonder how much permanent hearing loss I got from only two shots. The muzzle blast from that thing felt 15 feet to the side and rear is awsome.

My poor Chrony is still moving along with a bent rod but is still going it's job even though it is over 10 years old.

A more thoughful shooter would have at least given me some type of warning but he was having so much fun I doubt he even gave me a glance before he rode off in his camo humvee.

Bucks Owin
01-20-2010, 01:15 PM
:roll: Amazing.....I wonder how many of these "shooter errors" Chrony fixes in a year? Quite a few looks like....

wistlepig1
01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Yesterday I was at the range when the guy 2 benches down FIXED his with a 45acp. :Fire: I guess that why they sell them by the gross.:kidding:

Black Wolf
02-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Probably shot it out of season ta' boot. :mrgreen:

gray wolf
02-02-2010, 09:16 PM
I think we should market chrony Band Aids, instead of little stars on them
we could have Dumb A$$ go across the little gauze thing.
The guys at the repair place would laugh there A$$e$ off. But they probably do as it is.
I know we could have special GRIM REAPER rounds for shooting across the chrony's.
Anyway this thread is bustin my sides.

lwknight
02-02-2010, 09:28 PM
I start to wonder if sometimes the shooter sub consciously actually aims at the chrono?
You know, one of those brain fart days. I mean like , it is kinda there in your face closer than the other target.

rwt101
02-02-2010, 09:37 PM
I start to wonder if sometimes the shooter sub consciously actually aims at the chrono?
You know, one of those brain fart days. I mean like , it is kinda there in your face closer than the other target.

Nah that couldn't happen.

Bob T

captain-03
02-02-2010, 09:42 PM
You ain't the only one who can do that!!

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/captain-03/IMG_2567.jpg

http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss241/captain-03/IMG_2568.jpg

rwt101
02-02-2010, 09:46 PM
It is not funny but it is. I still can't believe I did it. I have the replacement but I am affraid to use it.

Bob T

Well that will teach them to try and attack an armed person?

ebg3
02-03-2010, 09:14 AM
I have not yet shot the sensors on my PACT but I have shot the arms holding the skyscreens on several occasions! Twice in one day! I used to get upset over it...now I just try to laugh it off. This is a reminder for me to order new skyscreens.
EG

RugerFan
02-03-2010, 09:30 AM
I never would have thought so many chronographs have died such an untimely death. You guys are killing me! The closest I've come is nicking the cardboard screens that came on the ooold model chrony.

pt4u2nv
02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Bob T

I became a member of the dead chrony club earlier this year and just got my replacement back...but quess what, had to send it right back because of high readings. Waiting for the fix to come back....soon I hope. It seems they only pickup or ship on Wednesdays.

I use mixed drink straws putting one inside the other. Fit really nice in the holes for the rods and obviously will not hurt the chrony if you hit one.

Black Wolf
02-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Boy, it sure makes ya' wonder how some folks pass the Hunter Safety Course.

...I'm kidding. :wink:

Now watch, I'll shoot mine tomorrow and look like a real dumb-a$$.

rwt101
02-03-2010, 06:28 PM

Now that wasn't nice!!!

We all are good at long distance shooting. It is just the close up stuff we have a problem with.
:mrgreen:
Bob T

Screwbolts
02-03-2010, 08:04 PM
My current crony is number III :-)

AZ-Stew
02-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I think we should market chrony Band Aids, instead of little stars on them, we could have Dumb A$$ go across the little gauze thing.

[smilie=l:

I have not yet shot the sensors on my PACT but I have shot the arms holding the skyscreens on several occasions!

A little chronograph history is in order here...

The sensors ARE the skyscreens. The frosty white plastic pieces that are held over the top of the sensors by the rods you shot are sun screens, or sensor shades, or diffusers. In terms of the light seen by the photosensors, the shades provide a constant background, whether sunny, cloudy or partially cloudy skys are present while you're shooting, thereby improving the accuracy of your readings. In the "old" days, chronographs did not have photo sensors to catch the shadow of the bullet as it passed. They had thin pieces of paper or plastic with, literally, a "screen" pattern of imprinted conductive material on each side that went left - right on one side and top - bottom on the other side. All the traces on each side were connected so as to form a single circuit, with the circuits on both sides connected to each other. When viewing through them they looked a bit like window screen. These "screens" were electrically connected to the timing circuit. A bullet could not pass through the "screen" without breaking the circuit trace on one or both sides, thus activating the timing circuitry. The drawbacks to these screens were: 1.) They were expensive and had to be replaced after each shot. 2.) You couldn't shoot for group while testing your velocity because passing through the screen disturbed the bullet flight. Dr. Ken Oehler developed the "Sky Screen"(TM), using photo sensors illuminated by the sky and activated by the bullet shadow passing over them, to give us what we have today, a "sky screen" that doesn't need to be replaced after each shot and which allows us to shoot groups while chronographing.

I became a member of the dead chrony club earlier this year and just got my replacement back...but guess what, had to send it right back because of high readings. Waiting for the fix to come back....soon I hope.

You should have kept the "fast" one. Think of all the bragging you could have done.
=============================

I can't afford to shoot mine. I suppose I COULD scrape up the money for a replacement or for repairs, but NOT shooting it is FAR cheaper. With that mindset, I've spared my Chrony the pain and embarrassment of being shot. See post #26 on page 2 of this thread.

Regards,

Stew

dominicfortune00
02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Interesting history there, Thanks for sharing!

While i have a chrony, i haven't used it to test any load yet.

It remains in the 'yet to be shot' catagory so far.

rwt101
02-03-2010, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=AZ-Stew;800406][smilie=l:

A little chronograph history is in order here...

The sensors ARE the skyscreens. The plastic pieces that are held over the top of the sensors by the rods you shot are sun screens, or sensor shades. In terms of the light seen by the photosensors, the shades provide a constant background, whether sunny, cloudy or partially cloudy skys are present while you're shooting, thereby improving the accuracy of your readings. In the "old" days, chronographs did not have photo sensors to catch the shadow of the bullet as it passed. They had thin pieces of paper or plastic with, literally, a "screen" pattern of imprinted conductive material on each side that went left - right on one side and top - bottom on the other side. All the traces on each side were connected so as to form a single circuit, with the circuits on each side connected to each other. When viewing through them they looked a bit like window screen. These "screens" were electrically connected to the timing circuit. A bullet could not pass through the "screen" without breaking the circuit trace on one or both sides, thus activating the timing circuitry. The drawbacks to these screens were: 1.) They were expensive and had to be replaced after each shot. 2.) You couldn't shoot for group while testing your velocity because passing through the screen disturbed the bullet flight. Dr. Ken Oehler developed the "Sky Screen", using photo sensors illuminated by the sky and activated by the bullet shadow passing over them, to give us what we have today, a "sky screen" that doesn't need to be replaced after each shot and which allows us to shot groups while chronographing.

I wasn't aware that that sky screens had to be on if it wasn't in direct sunshine?

Bob T

AZ-Stew
02-03-2010, 11:32 PM
I assume you mean the sensor shades.

They don't HAVE to be, but if you get false readings or errors without them, put them on and I'll bet you you'll get more consistent readings. The photocells don't pick up the bullets as well against a blue or cloudy sky as they do against a consistent white background.

Regards,

Stew

rwt101
02-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I assume you mean the sensor shades.

They don't HAVE to be, but if you get false readings or errors without them, put them on and I'll bet you you'll get more consistent readings. The photocells don't pick up the bullets as well against a blue or cloudy sky as they do against a consistent white background.

Regards,

Stew

Very interesting. That makes sense. If I get enough guts I will try my new one, maybe.
Bob T

AkMike
02-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Well I saw my first kill today! A wad from a Four Bore rifle (just over a 1" bore)killed it.

jbunny
02-05-2010, 01:54 AM
well folks, me thinks it's time to buy shares in the chrony company.:bigsmyl2:
jb

lwknight
02-05-2010, 03:29 AM
I tried to take my chronograph out the other day and it jumped out of my arms and went and got back in its box.

**oneshot**
02-08-2010, 11:45 AM
My fathers friend took us woodchuck hunting, stopped the truck and jumped out and quickly set-up across the hood of his truck to shoot at one in the field. At the shot, a very neat crease appeared across the hood of his truck. The rifle had seethru mounts for the scope. OOPS! My dad never let him live that one down.

Jon
02-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I was shooting with some friends when one of them shot his chrony. He wasn't too impressed, but laughed and said, "that's the second time I've done that". It seems as though once would be enough.

emorris
02-14-2010, 10:16 PM
My chrony is alive and doing well. I have to promise it that i will not shoot it before it will come out of its box. My chrony once stood brave and would not flinch as i shot,but one day i messed up and it saw my target after shooting. Now it stands scared and shivers as i shoot. I think that this is what causes the erratic reading some people get when using one. Your chrony must have confidence in your shooting before it will become accurate. Dont ever let someone else shot through your chrony, or it may end up mounted on the wall next to the button buck. Do people exaggerate the size of their chrony when telling the story of their recent kill?

thegreatdane
02-11-2011, 07:28 PM
It is with sadness, I must announce... that my chrony was murdered.

It was shot in cold weather with a 9mm subcompact. The offending round was fired by my friend. The conversation went something like this:

"Hey, don't shoot my chrony."
*blam, blam...
"I shot your chrony."

RIP

45nut
02-11-2011, 08:28 PM
wow,, self full-filling prophecy there.
I bought my first chrony about 1991 or '92.
On the first trip out with a friend and his new SP-1 Colt he begged me to let him try the chrony, first round and my chrony was DRT. Center punch killing shot and my friend slowly lifted his head off the stock and said,, wow,, sorry.
He had ignored my admonition to shoot high since the sights were well above the barrel of the AR.
He did reach into his wallet and give me $40.00 to send it in for R&R on the spot and so far I have not shot it myself,, knock on wood.

Digger
02-11-2011, 08:57 PM
My fathers friend took us woodchuck hunting, stopped the truck and jumped out and quickly set-up across the hood of his truck to shoot at one in the field. At the shot, a very neat crease appeared across the hood of his truck. The rifle had seethru mounts for the scope. OOPS! My dad never let him live that one down.

As with all the other tale's .... year's ago , shooting with a friend .... then I had a 68 El Camino , my pride and joy ... my friend set up his scoped 22 mag rifle resting on the drivers side of the bed and aimed across it to the target area .... everybody here know's the outcome ... boy was I yelling at him for a while.
Later on after a few beers we were laughing about it but for many years after that chevy still had that nice neat little hole in the chrome trim as a conversation piece ......:rolleyes:
Got to get one of those Chrony's ......

Fredx10sen
02-16-2011, 11:36 PM
I replaced the metal poles that hold up the shades with 1/8" wooden dowels that are painted fluorescent orange after knicking one with a CB 150 RN 30-30. It makes a huge difference in the sight picture for me although a Female friend did just wing the rear left hand outside steal case with a 38 Special. I still don't know how she managed to hit it there but glad she didn't hurt it. So now the only one that shoots thru the orange sticks is me. And that's how it's lasted as long as it has. Great to know that the replacement parts are not too pricy.

2ndAmendmentNut
02-17-2011, 12:26 AM
I know a guy, (BTW I will never hunt with him)… He put two holes in the passenger side bed of his truck shooting at a deer while resting his rifle on the drivers side.

Marine Sgt 2111
02-18-2011, 06:17 PM
While I have stuck g/c's into the housing of the front skyscreen and coasted a boolit through the top edge of the housing (knock on wood) I have yet to kill one. (Now watch, I'll burn it to the ground testing tomorrow.)

Brett Ross
05-05-2014, 07:17 PM
Well I just had to join the club Saturday. Mine took a 9mm slug at around 1175 fps.

rwt101
05-05-2014, 07:27 PM
I gave up on mine. As long as my hand loads go bang and are pretty accurate I don't care how fast they are.

Bob T

AZAKMS
05-06-2014, 03:48 PM
I had ordered a Competition Electronics Chronograph as was very unimpressed with the unit. It was cheaply made, I had to pay an extra $50 for a cheap wire and software to connect it to my computer (that I would have had to take out the the range with me), and also picked up one of there shot timers that was the size of a small VCR and the quality of a cheap McDonald's toy.
I packed everything back up and mailed it back for a refund and ordered a CED M2 (after reading reviews on this website) and one of the CED 8000 shot timers.
The quality of the construction is much better. I'm not shooting at the brain unit. The distance between the screens is further apart then other chronographs that I've seen and feels solidly built. It came with software to download shot info into my computer (don't have to lug my laptop to the range) and connects with a USB cable.
I'm very happy with the purchase and glad I looked at this website.

FLYCUTTER
05-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Reading these posts makes me laugh because I think everyone has smoked a chrony at some time in their life. Years ago I smoked my chrony with a 50 cal. m-33 ball and I wish I had a camera to have taken a picture. Now the brain box is on the shooting table with my current chrony.

3leggedturtle
05-07-2014, 01:57 PM
I haven't shot my chrony yet. But I was shooting off of a rolled up sleeping bag with 20" 223 and barrel got just a tad too far back. Muzzle blast ripped a 2" gash and sent feathers flying. Nice powder burn too.

TXGunNut
05-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Reading these posts makes me laugh because I think everyone has smoked a chrony at some time in their life.

Nope, dinked the diffuser support rods a time or two so I quit using them......stand by for pics. ;-)

FLHTC
05-07-2014, 10:33 PM
I hit mine once with a gas check and it looked as though i hit it with a golf club. It was days before i figured out what hit it since the muzzle wasn't pointed anywhere close to the screen supports.

tunnug
05-07-2014, 11:46 PM
I had just got my first Garand and was checking loads with a friends chrony, another friend (Garand Guru) was overseeing the circus letting me know where he thought the speed should be for best accuracy.

I take a shot and the speed was way off from where it should be, shoot again and the numbers are completely off again nowhere close to the first shot, Guru tells me that he believes I'm aiming too high to get a reading, shoot lower he says.

I shoot again and still no go, lower more he says, I shoot and see the chrony do a wobble, we go take a look and there is this troth along the top where the bullet grazed it.

Turns out the chrony was set up too close and the readings were from the blast, we moved it further away and I also put a 2" strip of masking tape on the uprights just in case I got a little close again, my friend called it a battle wound.

Moving it away did the trick and the readings went where they were supposed to.

MrWolf
05-08-2014, 06:38 AM
That is why I replaced my diffuser rods with wooden dowels. Shot a few of them but at least chrono is still good.

bikerbeans
05-09-2014, 04:57 PM
That is why I replaced my diffuser rods with wooden dowels. Shot a few of them but at least chrono is still good.

Bamboo skewers is why I still have a working chrony. I haven't hit the chrony with a boolit (I know I will one day) but sabots and shotgun gas seals have broken a bunch of the skewers.

BB

Reg
05-09-2014, 06:13 PM

Joined the club today !! Gas check from a 44 did the trick. It was a Hornaday gas check no less.
Had the old Croney since 1993 and have fired thousands and thousands of rounds over it with out a hitch so guess it really doesn't owe me anything .

TXGunNut
05-11-2014, 12:36 AM
I'm beginning to like the idea of a plexiglass shield to protect against gas checks.

Beagle333
05-11-2014, 12:39 AM
I shot the rod on the 2nd shot.:oops: But I haven't hit a unit.....yet. :popcorn:

Brett Ross
05-11-2014, 02:14 PM
Killed mine on the 2nd trip out , but it sounds like 30.00 will revive it.

Shooter6br
05-11-2014, 04:53 PM
"I shot the Chrony , but I did not shoot the deputy" Apoligies to Bob Marly. Muzzle blast got mine years ago.

Rick Hodges
05-18-2014, 10:14 AM
I built a box to hold my chrony....just simple aspenite sheathing with a double layer of 1/8" lexan in front to protect from gas checks, sabots, and shotgun wads. So far so good....Oh yeah, wooden shooting guides.

foxhole
05-26-2014, 10:30 PM
My friend had been trying to get me to go shooting with him along time, everything was going good till he brawt out his chrony, I shot first and took out the 2 rods on the left side, he decided it should still work with no rods or sun shield in place and proceeded to let it have it rite dead center of the screen at 5 paces with his 454.

searcher4851
06-05-2014, 03:30 PM
I'm beginning to feel really left out of the club here. I've been shooting for over 50 years, and I've never killed a chronograph, or even wounded one.

I guess I'll have to go out and buy one one of these days just so I can join in the fun.

skeettx
06-05-2014, 07:10 PM
I use soda straws to hold the sun shield
Easy to shoot through, easy to replace
I DO have the T-Shirt
Mike

mold maker
06-06-2014, 09:59 AM
I once borrowed one and caught the edge of the left front rod with the first shot. No harm done after taking out the slight bend. That taught me to get my own. So far (13yr) i've kept mine intact.
The next shot may be the one, but (knock on wooden head) I take lots of pains to avoid it.

claudesapp
06-19-2014, 10:56 PM
Slide over and make room on the bench.
Joined the club yesterday.

06-20-2014, 11:09 AM
I like my Oehler 35P, the only way to shoot it would be an ND on the bench. :mrgreen:

Hickok
06-20-2014, 11:53 AM
My older "green" Chrony died from a .44 cal gunshot wound years ago.

Now I have a "red" Chrony and a Pact 1.

ghh3rd
06-20-2014, 12:59 PM
Ya'll should read the firearm safety rules... clearly states:

2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy!

By the way, I found out that a .22 pellet makes a nice dent in a chrony... fortunately without any other effect.

:killingpc

Lee
06-21-2014, 08:00 AM
Haven't killed mine .... yet. But I wounded it a couple years ago. Hit one of the screen rods with a "nice" 45-70 load. As best I can tell, it is still in low earth orbit, as I never did find it.....and I got a big back yard ......:shock:

ourflat
06-21-2014, 08:56 AM
Replaced my old Chrony yesterday with a Caldwell Premium. Looking forward to Chrony hunting!

DougGuy
06-21-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm starting a group for the prevention of cruelty to chronys! CTC Anonymous! :bigsmyl2:

When you feel like you may slip and make that fateful shot, box the chrony up and send it to me, I will even email you a prepaid shipping label, don't subject your chrony to the pain, and yourself to the embarrassment of shooting it!

I need a decent chrony, and let's face it, for you to send it this way will at least give one of us the pleasure of using it for an extended period, damage free, because once it's shot, it does neither of us any good!

walkingjay
06-22-2014, 04:07 PM
Did better than I did, just clipped the case with a 45ACP. A little work with pliers and some electrical tape, almost as good as new. :bigsmyl2:

bannor
06-26-2014, 11:20 AM
I've seen a "blast screen" work well, made out of a hunk of cardboard, with 1 x2' wood frame, about an 8" hole thru it for the bullets. It prevents having the chrony 'read" the gas velocity, instead of catching the actual bullet speed.

johnson1942
07-07-2014, 12:57 PM
haveing just bought a new chronograph and haveing just read what happened to you i really am sorry for what happened to yours. i would have cried real tears and not have been ashamed of it. i blew apart a expensive swageing die and also ringed a barrel once and am not afraid to say their was real tears both times. i was really poor when i was young and i havent lost the concern for money lost because of me. thanks for shareing that with us, its a good man who can admit something like that. your a good man.

abqcaster
07-13-2014, 10:08 PM
I just joined the club today. Boy that stunk! :D

gunbunny
03-09-2015, 12:32 AM
I shot my chrony today, not the best of conditions; no rest, and no tripod. Twice. I laid the chroney on the bench and had to squat down at an unnatural position. Somewhere between round two hundred and three hundred.

My wife shot the first 100 rounds of .45 ACP to practice for her department qualifications next weekend, but since she is shorter, she could just stand there and shoot through the screens with ease. I am kind of surprised by the velocity spread, but that's another story.

I was getting the velocity on a bunch of .357 Sig cartridges I loaded, going up 0.1 grains at a time, in groups of 20. I barely got any signs of high pressure in the casings, but the over max load cartridges spit a lot of fire and shot unburned Blue Dot twenty feet downrange. I only got 1734 ft/sec out of 95gr Hornady XTPs with a 6" barrel.

The chroney was pointing slightly down in the front, and I wound up hitting the rear skyscreen and bending the diffuser rod a little. It displayed the dreaded ERR 9 message. I got lucky for two reasons: 1) because it still works, even after two hits to nearly the same area. It won't fit back in the box until I go back over it with a hammer. 2) because the wife was tired and cold from shooting, she went back to the house and missed the carnage. I'm not telling her.

Note to self: if I can't set it up properly, don't use it.

03-09-2015, 06:49 AM
Grrr... been there... done that... with a 220grSMK out of my 300AAC AR.. guess I didn't quite compensate enough for the height above bore of the scope... She was at a very slight angle, so it was a grazing wound, til it made it to the rear screen, then things went really bad.. pieces everywhere! lol

At least I have a spare pair of skyscreens now in case I take one of them out..

flyingrhino
03-09-2015, 04:19 PM
AR15 is the preferred weapon for Chrony hunting. I nicked mine one time, no major damage. It lived to forage again. We should start a thread for dead Chrony pics.

Or better yet, my father always taught me that I wasn't allowed to shoot anything that I wouldn't eat. SO.....maybe we need some Chrony recipes.

flyingrhino
03-09-2015, 04:48 PM

My hunter safety course didn't cover Chrony's. I got gipped.

CBH
03-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Killed my 25 yr. old Protach with my new AR the other day. Wasn't workin' good anyway. Maybe the bullet read my mind.

JonnyReb
03-09-2015, 10:36 PM
I loaned one to a friend and he called a few days later to let me know he killed my F1 with the 1st shot, right in the middle of the readout screen. Was a humane shot for sure.

Being a good guy he already had my new replacement in hand before making the call.

Tackleberry41
03-10-2015, 05:13 AM
Gues I will have to try the wooden uprights, 1st one I clipped just took off the diffuser. 2nd one knocked the back sensor out of the housing. Somebody there shooting said something along the lines of your not a very good shot. But guess its a very common thing if people go to all the effort to make armor for them. Didnt know about GC hitting them, will have to come up with some sort of shield.

flyingrhino
03-10-2015, 02:42 PM
Gues I will have to try the wooden uprights, 1st one I clipped just took off the diffuser. 2nd one knocked the back sensor out of the housing. Somebody there shooting said something along the lines of your not a very good shot. But guess its a very common thing if people go to all the effort to make armor for them. Didnt know about GC hitting them, will have to come up with some sort of shield.

I would have countered with "I meant to do that. Let me see you hit a steel rod that skinny".

skeettx
03-10-2015, 03:38 PM
For my uprights, I use plastic soda straws !!!
Mike

Bphunter
03-10-2015, 07:04 PM
Another "thread from the dead". Oh well, I might as well admit I "grazed" mine with a 30-30 a few weeks ago. Took a lickin, kept on tickin!

Boogieman
03-10-2015, 11:44 PM
I put a double layer of clear plastic in front of the display on my old Chony F1. cut them from lenses used in welding helments, They will stop GCs & ML patches but I don't they'll help with a boolit.

Frank46
03-10-2015, 11:54 PM
I have had a chronograph for years and find it useful. Think it was said that it isn't when you will shoot it but that you will. Fortunately Ohler has all the electronics sitting on the bench when you shoot. Just connect two wires and away you go. Was at the local range using it and got off the bench to get a drink of water and found some fool getting ready to shoot. Put my hand on his shoulder and told him not to shoot. Few well chosen words and probably saved it from being shot. Didn't ask or nothing. Frank

CBMC
03-11-2015, 12:12 AM
I grazed my prochrono a few weeks ago. I should have known better bringing it to the range on a weekend. It wasn't lined up properly and was too low. I didn't want to wait for a cease fire. I felt like a complete idiot. I just grazed the side, it didn't even break the plastic, just left a black streak. Unfortunately, it was enough to scramble the display. It actually still went on, and still seemed to work fine except the screen had the black ink were you couldn't read the display well, if at all. On a side note, competition electronics was quick to fix it and charged me $50 shipped back to me. Let me say, when I took it out after I got it back, I was extra careful.

Shooter6br
03-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Same here . That is why I bought a Pact Model 1 with BIG sky screens.

DougGuy
08-10-2016, 08:38 AM
Started singing "I Shot The Chrony" to the tune of "I Shot The Sheriff." Just grazed the top of the plastic sensor, it lived and didn't even need any superglue! got lucky!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Reloading/ShotChrony640_zpsn1feided.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Reloading/ShotChrony640_zpsn1feided.jpg.html)

kayala
08-10-2016, 10:20 AM
I put 357 slug through the back sensor housing on my first outing with Chrony :) surprisingly the sensor still survived, so I just put a bracket on top to hold the screen rods (sensor housing was also holding those rods) and it still works :)

1980Harley
08-10-2016, 10:39 AM
I also shot mine, but with a failed gas check smack in the center of the face. I heard it ring out and the only damage was an imprint of the check. Whew! No other damage, but I thought I lost it for sure.

joelpend
08-13-2016, 08:02 PM
After shooting a skyscreen or 2 over the years I decided to get one of the Lab Radar units so no more chance of me shooting the chrono unless I do something real stupid.

OS OK
08-13-2016, 08:18 PM
I also shot mine, but with a failed gas check smack in the center of the face. I heard it ring out and the only damage was an imprint of the check. Whew! No other damage, but I thought I lost it for sure.
Well, if you keep up your practice...maybe you'll getter next time! ...:bigsmyl2: ...

Dunkem
04-29-2018, 10:35 PM
Been a few years since somebody bagged em a Chrony? Well, today I broke the dry spell, a doozy to. An F-1 master, and a beaut at that. It was no match for a .44 cal 250 Keith semi wadcutter doing about......1300??? Can't be sure on the velocity as the first two shots didn't register so I did what any sensible doofus would do and held a little lower. Third times a charm I guess. I mean, what would they expect? Putting a crosshair in their logo, then plastering it on the front of the dang thing?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180430/952f2261ee8b8cb7485a051ce405d46c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180430/5b6753bb103cb983a18674b7a657f7e3.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Hogtamer
04-29-2018, 11:09 PM
Need to move your windage...that would be 8" left at 50 yds!

MyFlatline
04-30-2018, 06:03 AM
Been a few years since somebody bagged em a Chrony? Well, today I broke the dry spell, a doozy to. An F-1 master, and a beaut at that. It was no match for a .44 cal 250 Keith semi wadcutter doing about......1300??? Can't be sure on the velocity as the first two shots didn't register so I did what any sensible doofus would do and held a little lower. Third times a charm I guess. I mean, what would they expect? Putting a crosshair in their logo, then plastering it on the front of the dang thing?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180430/952f2261ee8b8cb7485a051ce405d46c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180430/5b6753bb103cb983a18674b7a657f7e3.jpg

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Dang, that sucks....

evoevil
04-30-2018, 06:23 AM
A new member to the club ........... LOL. Sorry but a lot of us have done that. Mine was a 50 cal Black powder. took all the time to wrap it to protect it from the powder made little deflector for the arm because of the blast from FFF...... set it up and blew it to hell. Chrony guy was like "really" send me a replacement cheap. Sure it will happen again .........

sghart3578
04-30-2018, 03:33 PM
Been there, done that....

Baja_Traveler
04-30-2018, 04:08 PM
I don't ever intend to go there or do that...

John Boy
05-01-2018, 03:43 PM
Buy a MagnetoSpeed Sporter Chronograph. You'll never have to worry again about another bullet hole. Plus, it works indoors and with no lights on
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetospeed-Sporter-Barrel-Mount-Chronograph/dp/B00VTZXF8Y

flounderman
06-06-2018, 10:48 AM
You could set a steel plate in front of the box. The reading comes from the bullet passing over it. Just couldn't see the read out.

JoeJames
06-06-2018, 11:45 AM
A cousin who had a gun shop/pawnshop at Ash Flat, had a feller come in to buy a chronograph. The feller said he already had one, but he was checking the speed of his crossbow bolts, and put a bolt right through it, dead center.

trapper9260
06-06-2018, 12:02 PM
I had shot my last year and it was still ok till I used it early this year and kill it.DOA , I went to see the gunsmith I bought it from and he call the one it is made by and sent it in to them and they replace it for half of what I paid for it. I have not use the new one yet.

Geezer in NH
06-09-2018, 08:28 PM
5 years ago shot mine then again last year.

Bet it will happen again!! Way of life. Although one of the new radar units that sits behind may stop it.

Scoutino
03-28-2019, 10:05 AM
My very first chrono (Competition Electronics ProChronoDLX) just got delivered the other day. After reading all these horror stories I wonder if the bluetooth signal will go around a steel gong I now intend to use as protection.

RugerFan
03-29-2019, 02:13 PM
I’ve nicked a couple screen rods, but never shot my old Chrony unit. Now that I have a Labradar, I should be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Txcowboy52
09-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Misery loves company LOL !

pworley1
09-11-2019, 06:04 PM
So far I have bagged 2. I don't know what the limit is.