PDA

View Full Version : swaging jacketed bullets

NSP64
01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Before you move the thread to the swaging forum, this is about swagng one size jacketed to another size using a push through die. Since I have joined the thousands in the obahma flock(unemployed) I find myself in my shop more. I had some 30 cal bullets (90gr JHP & 110gr rn for 30 carbine) laying around and I don't own anything 30 cal. So I loaded one of each in a push through die and swaged it down to .278!!! Might make a neat plinking/varmit reduced velocity load. Has anyone else tried this??

jhalcott
01-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I'd be worried about causing a problem with jacket/ core separation doing this. My grand dad tried ALL sorts of tricks to save money on reloading. He warned me about "resizing" 8mm bullets to .30 caliber. Saying a jacket COULD be left in the bore and become a hazard if a second shot was fired. He DID however,make his own .22 bullets from fired .22RF cases. Just check the bore for an obstruction after each shot and you SHOULD be safe!

mroliver77
01-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I bought a bunch of bullets from Pats reloading that were .311 sized down to .308. I talked to Pat at camp Perry and he stated that the were sized through a sizing die and not reswaged. Jackets ar copper washed steel. There appears to be no jacket looseness and these babies shoot very well out of various military type .30 cals. I would section a resized one or two of yours and get an idea of how it is affected. Be wary and check for jacket separation then go with your gut.
Jay

runfiverun
01-06-2010, 09:55 PM
you usually swage up not down. the lead springs back at a differen rate then the copper does,
when down sizing.
you might be able to remelt the lead in the jacket to reform it.

Eutectic
01-06-2010, 10:44 PM
NSP64,

I'm not sure swaging is the correct term in this case as you are actually resizing the bullet.
That said, I have done a fair amount of this. Best results are a minimal sizing of maybe .006" max reduction in diameter for best results. The various bonded bullets are the absolute best for this as the cores stay tight in my experience. Cast boolit sizing dies won't give you concentric enough results even with the Lee push through type, or the required strength to work on the big boys.. You have to machine and harden a die that sizes over a 2" tapered length.

Hornady made a 400gr InnerBond .416 bullet for a while. I bought a LOT of them on close out cheap.... I DON'T EVEN HAVE A .416!!!! These bullets were absolute beauties with a thick bronze jacket bonded to the core.... African bullets...

I machined and hardened a sizing die and sized them to .4115 for my long throated Ruger #1 in .405 Winchester. I hollow pointed them to 395grs as well... At 2100fps, they work superb and will shoot 3/4" groups at 100 yards! Performance is spectacular as well! Pictured below is a recovered bullet shot into compacted wet phone books at 50 yards. It still weighs 393grs! I plan to plant one into a bison one of these days...

Eutectic

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/405bronze.jpg