PDA

View Full Version : Load Request - .357 Magnum 170gr LSWC "Keith"

JakeB
01-06-2010, 02:25 PM
Load Request - .357 Magnum 170gr LSWC "Keith"

I'm looking for load data for a 4" S&W using a 170gr Keith style 170gr LSWC.

I don't have and 'Magnum' powder yet but have been looking at purchasing some 2400, H110, or Lil Gun for this load.

I would like to start somewhat below max load and work up from there...so H110 concerns me a little.

Thanks,

Jake

dualsport
01-06-2010, 02:47 PM
I'd start with 2400. Lots of data here, it's very popular, works good, and you can use the 2400 in rifle loads too.

dubber123
01-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Jake, have you made up a dummy round yet? If this is the 358429 you are talking about, it's usually either right at the end of, or past the front of the cylinder in most S&W .357's. I'd hate for you to make up a bunch and find out your cylinder wouldn't close. What model S&W?

AnthonyB
01-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I use 13.5 grains of 2400 with the 358429 in my 4 inch M19.
Tony

Wayne Dobbs
01-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Jake,

As dubber said, it's important to know your cylinder length on your S&W. If you have a K frame or L frame .357, you should be able to use the 358429's crimp groove. If it's an N frame, you'll have to crimp over the bullet's front shoulder. Check that out before you load!

HamGunner
01-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Jake,
You have asked the exact same question on at least three sites that I know of. So do you expect to receive three different answers? I really doubt that much will change from the suggestions that you have already been given. But now, I understand why one poster on another site was a bit short with you when he seen your post the 2nd time. I am afraid that I see his point. I will give you the same advice that he did. Get a manual and read it or go to some of the free data websites that he gave you so that you can find answers just like the rest of us do. I did not mind going to the trouble of getting my data out and looking it up and giving you some help, but now I will just say, you are being lazy and wasting our time. Put out a bit of effort and then ask questions if you have a bit of trouble or you are puzzled by a certain difficulty and your questions will be looked at in a much more serious manner. We all have learned from others and we should share info and knowledge, but we must first put out a bit of effort on our own for the things that are easily gathered almost anywhere on line for free.

Sorry for seeming a bit testy. But abusing the generosity of others by posting the same thing all over the web serves no purpose.

Potsy
01-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Wow!
Who knew concensus building in reloading really peed in some folks wheaties?
I only post on a couple of forums, and not very often at that. But I recognize those who post frequently on several and it's almost fun to keep up with whatever project they've got going. Should we all just look at and post on one forum only? Am I in breach of some sort of internet etiquette?
Hate to think a guy would get run off on his first post. He might have something to offer.

As far as Jake B's question goes, the 358429 was designed for the .38 special case. It will work very well in the .357 but unless your cylinder is long enough, you'll have to either crimp over the front driving band (which limits capacity and is probably a less accurate option) OR trim a batch of .357 brass (which I found works just fine). There's a current thread on here somewhere on that very subject.
Powderwise, 12-14 grains of 2400 is probably where you need to be. Look for 1100-1200fps over your chrony if you own one. If you don't, go buy one.

HamGunner
01-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Well, he might just be a real nice guy and I have not reason to believe he is not. I hope he learns all about the hobby, by reading and absorbing and discussing with others. But, he was given every bit of info that you just gave him, on other sites. Just a little bit redundant, don't you think? I don't want anyone RUN OFF of anywhere for asking legitimate questions, but if the guy can not believe the info that he has already received and has to go all around town asking the very same question, well he is just asking to p/o all those that went out of there way to help him before that. Everyone is certainly welcome to post on every forum out there. But they really should think about the fact that they are not the only ones that jump around.

I saw the post and was prepared to help the guy out with a bit of my time, til I saw that I already had helped him along with the dozens of others. Perhaps he is just a little bit confused or new to forums or whatever. But the guy just copies and pastes the exact same question wherever he goes. I don't think it is all that neat an idea to go around "concensus building". I guess he did not believe a word that anyone else went out of their way to tell him so I really don't expect him to believe a thing that is posted on this site either.

Am I out of line? Maybe I am. I wish Jake all the best in learning this great hobby. Instead of going off on a rant, I guess I should have just copied and pasted my same responses that I gave him from my other forum. That would have been much easier than the above rant. Maybe I just learned something myself.

Potsy
01-07-2010, 11:47 PM
I might have just ranted a little myself and didn't really mean to.
He did pick a bullet that with a lot of pistols means a little more than pouring powder and seating. I was in the same boat with that mold, fortunately, I had read enough back issues of "Handloader" to know what I was getting into.
Admittedly, if he had 300 posts and was asking how much of what powder to pour under a 158 XTP, I would't have bothered replying.
First post, possibly not really grasping all the ramifications of his choice of bullet, I felt a little sympathetic.

Bullshop Junior
01-07-2010, 11:52 PM
I have loads for 180gr out of a Marlin if you want them.

HamGunner
01-08-2010, 02:22 AM
Jake has a 686 4" so if anyone wants to help him out, his cylinder can handle the long bullet just fine. Sorry to be a party pooper. I guess I just don't like to see "drive-by-posters", but maybe that is not really what is intended. So I need to give Jake a chance. Come on back and jump in Jake and I'll stay out of your posts. Sorry for getting my feathers all ruffled over nothing.
Rick