PDA

View Full Version : Opening up gas checks

kelbro
01-06-2010, 12:25 PM
I have a new 44 mold that casts large (a good thing :)) but the base is also large and the new box of Hornady checks that I received from Midway is too tight.

What's the best way to open these checks up to accept the bullets?

I did try to use some thinner (~.010) Al from the FreeChexII and they fit. I just prefer the copper and my copper is .012 which is also too tight when punched out of the FCII.

Calamity Jake
01-06-2010, 12:58 PM
You can flair the check a little by using a ball bearing(1 inch or larger for 44 cal.), lay the check on a flat surface cup up put bearing on check and tap with a hammer, just a little dab el do ya.
If you don't have a bearing big enough try the head of a stove bolt

blaser.306
01-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Or you could buy one of Swedenelsons gas check shank swages and GC seating dies . I have no dogs in this race But seems like the thing to do . I a'm !!!

870TC
01-07-2010, 05:30 PM
I use round headed machine screw, larger in diameter than the check. Lay the check on a flat surface, cup side up, put the head of the screw in the cup and tap with a small hammer.

wistlepig1
01-07-2010, 07:01 PM
I had the same problem with some 22 cal Horn. checks to. I made a slight faring tool out of Durail plastic, worked well. Bad spelling on the plastic "Durail" for the spell cker's out there.

kelbro
01-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Had to get some loaded for a shoot this weekend so I punted. Used the aluminum.

JIMinPHX
01-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I've had poor luck trying to open up checks that were already made, but then I was trying to go from .30 cal, all the way up to .35 cal. I just couldn't get them to reform evenly.

If you are punching your own checks anyway, why not just get a forming die that is a few thousandths bigger? If you post a picture of what the one for the Freechex looks like, I'll tell you if I can whip one up for you.

Also, Capital Metals in Tempe carries different weights of copper sheet. I think that 12 oz. is the lightest one that they keep on hand, but I would assume that they can probably get thinner stuff if you want it. Off the top of my head, I think that 12 oz copper is probably around 0.016" thick. Give them a call. They're a helpful bunch. Prices there are a little high, but not nearly as bad as places like Metal Supermarket. Those guys are just plain thieves.

Rodfac
01-20-2010, 09:28 PM
I've done the flaring deal with .44 Hornady checks. I used a polished ball peen hammer of roughly 1" dia. In use, the polished end is placed on the check, with its cup side up. The check sits on a polished anvil part of one of my bench vices. I tap the hammer with another hammer. A light tap is all that's needed.

Used on 429215 gc of Lyman make, I get 1" to 1.5" gps at 25 yds in my .44 Rugers. My Marlin 336 in .44 Magnum shoots one inch gps at 50 yds with it!!!! I'd never have guessed that this would work out so well.

Seating them, I use a Lyman 450 sizer/lubricator with the gas check seater in place. Flaring them takes far less time than you'd expect.

Regards, Rodfac

Char-Gar
01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Kelbro.. Look into annealing your gas checks. It won't open them up, but it will take the fight out of them when you do. There are several positive benefits from annealing your checks. There is a sticky on the subject somewhere.