PDA

View Full Version : Lubesizer, etc.

TraderVic
01-06-2010, 11:11 AM
OK........as a tenderfoot bullet caster with no experience just yet it appears to be that I will need to acquire a lubesizer to sizer and lube my cast bullets. I see that RCBS, Lyman and others make this equipment. I have RCBS reloading equipment and am satisfied with their quality, so is there much difference between the Lyman design and the RCBS design ? Do I also want a heating element ? I have an opportunity to purchase a Lyman at a nice discount, so.....

I'm still inventory-ing the bullet casting equipment that I inherited and have not found a casting thermometer - I presume this is a good idea too ??!!

I'm afraid I'll be a nuisance around here as I blunder my way into a bona fide bullet caster as many of you, so thanks for your help. I've had this equipment now about five years and have not had the time to work with it along with my beef farm. I retired from my day job last September and am now wanting to get started casting good bullets for several rifles and revolvers.

Regards, Vic

01-06-2010, 11:35 AM
TraderVic,

I use a Lyman 4500 and am satisfied with its performance. (Check Midway for Lyman's casting kit, a real value.)

If the lube needs to be heated, I used either a hair dryer or propane torch. Others set a clothes iron on a metal plate, that the press sets on. Reckon the iron is more convenient as it allows you to do something else while the lube is warming up. Hmmm...might have to go that route.

TAWILDCATT
01-06-2010, 11:46 AM
theres always lees sizer and they give you the tumble lube with the die.:coffee:

jerrold
01-06-2010, 11:51 AM
The Lyman seems to be very popular, i have one that i am very happy with. Mine has a heater that it sets on to keep thing soft. i guess the heater can still be bought. Mine came with the Lyman when i bought it used.:coffeecom:castmine:

Vita est breves

jerrold

Shiloh
01-06-2010, 12:12 PM
theres always lees sizer and they give you the tumble lube with the die.:coffee:

+1

I have an old Lyman 450. Works great. Acquired a Lyman 45 last year. Still in a box of odds and ends tough. Should dig it out and see if I can get it running.

Shiloh

mold maker
01-06-2010, 12:20 PM
+1 on (Check Midway for Lyman's casting kit, a real value.) It's on sale at Midway USA now, at less than the price of the sizer.
Soft lube at room temp. doesn't need external heat. Harder lube needs a little help flowing. There are a multitude of ways to do this since little heat is required.
Lyman, by it's self is cheaper, but RCBS has a better warranty.
I use LEE for small quantities and Lyman for bulk.

chrisx1
01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Don't worry about being a pest - that's what we're here for. I learn a lot from posts just seeing what other guys use and methods they have. Even though I've been casting for quite a while, some of the simplest questions bring out ideas that I never thought of.

Best practice is to do at least a quick search of the site first and see if your question has already been asked, but if you don't find some answers quickly, throw up a post.

c

dragonrider
01-06-2010, 11:32 PM
I've never used an RCBS, I have a Lyman that I retired when I got my Star figured out., I know the Lyman and RCBS can use the same dies. Could be a good thing.

johnlaw484
01-08-2010, 12:03 AM
I have and antique Lachmiller lubesizer, probaly 40 years old. I brought it with my Lyman Spartan press. Both are still in use and work as well today as when new.
I would not be afraid of buying a used lubesizer, either.

Just pay attention to the lubes as there have been a lot of changes in formulas over the years.

There is another forum here on lubes that might be of interest to you.:Fire:

Cherokee
01-08-2010, 09:51 PM
I've got Lyman 45, 450,4500 sizers and a Star. All good. the Lyman's all use the same dies and top punches. Bevel base bullets don't go well with the Lyman but I manage by carefully balancing the pressure, lube temp. The Lyman 45 was bought used back in 60's and still work's great - used is good.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Lyman and RCBS versions both do a good job and use the same sizer dies and top punches. I worked for a while with each, but didn't like the lube sticks with the hole in the center and the ratchet system of the Lyman or the little black RCBS balls (for maintaining lube pressure) that always kept unscrewing and bouncing around my shop. I went over to the SAECO and have been happy with a pair of them for a couple of decades now. Only pain is the top punches that are of the screw-in variety and they also aren't cheap. The Lee push-thru system is good as well as economical, but the pan lube part makes it slower than the lubrisizers mentioned above. LLS