PDA

View Full Version : Identify Monogrip

MtGun44
01-06-2010, 12:19 AM
I somehow wound up with a Hogue Monogrip that I cannot identify.

It is for a small revolver, but not a J S&W. It uses a white nylon bottom
stirrup with barbs and a plastic screw rather than the sheet steel stirrup
that has holes to go over the roll pin and steel screw. I came with a
plastic screwdriver for the plastic screw, too.

Any hints? No markings other than the Hogue Monogrip metal plate on
one side.

I have a bunch of Monogrips for S&Ws of all sizes, this is different, either
an early design or just different because it is for some other brand
of pistol. None of mine have the large metal disk.

Bill

badgeredd
01-06-2010, 12:24 AM
I somehow wound up with a Hogue Monogrip that I cannot identify.

It is for a small revolver, but not a J S&W. It uses a white nylon bottom
stirrup with barbs and a plastic screw rather than the sheet steel stirrup
that has holes to go over the roll pin and steel screw. I came with a
plastic screwdriver for the plastic screw, too.

Any hints? No markings other than the Hogue Monogrip metal plate on
one side.

I have a bunch of Monogrips for S&Ws of all sizes, this is different, either
an early design or just different because it is for some other brand
of pistol. None of mine have the large metal disk.

Bill

Bill,
Is it possibly for a small framed Colt like the Detective Special? Or maybe for a Charter Arms small frame?

Edd

MtGun44
01-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Could be, I have zero idea. Wish they had markings. I was hoping that the
white nylon stirrup with barbs and a black plastic screw was unique to a particular
brand. It is definitely not for a J-frame Smith.

Bill

exile
01-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Ruger SP-101? Just a guess.

exile

MtGun44
01-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Thanks, but guesses don't really help.

My problem is I have none of these to try it on. I can guess away, but can't
verify. I need somebody that has a grip like this with this particular stirrup (I
HOPE it is unique, might not be) to tell me that they have one on a "whatever"
pistol.

Then maybe somebody might want to buy it or trade something for it.

Bill

stubshaft
01-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Could be a round butt "K" frame like the Model 19. It came out in 2 different configurations.

MtGun44
01-06-2010, 01:44 AM
All the S&Ws have the cross pin and the Hogue metal stirrup hooks onto that pin, and they use
a steel screw.

Apparently the gun that this is made for has no cross pin, so it needs this barbed nylon
stirrup to grab onto the bottom of the grip frame.

It is going to be a round butt or one with a straight skinny grip stub because the slot for
the grip frame is pretty small, around the size of a J-frame round butt.

Bill

S.R.Custom
01-06-2010, 03:03 AM
Is there anything printed on the inside of the grip? The lettering can be hard to see w/o a bright light and a pair of cheaters...

I've got a shoebox full of Hogue grips, and all of them have raised lettering, that even though can be quite cryptic, I've been able to associate with some model of gun. None with a plastic screw & stirrup, tho.

Hogues w/ the large metal medallion go back a few years... 1980s I think.

9.3X62AL
01-06-2010, 10:56 AM
MtnGun, your description of the "skinny" butt section lacking a wide flare kinda rules out the D-frame Colts pre-1940. I have 3, all also have cross-pins in the base of the butt frame. I was HOPING, 'cause these critters are hard to find aftermarket stocks for. Hogue graciously offered to make a set for my 1933 DetSpec, at roughly $248 IIRC. A bit outta my league for handgun grips, and I'm getting by pretty well with the Tyler T-Grip and stock stocks.

Good luck identifying the set you have, and I hope I helped by possibly ruling out one application.

scrapcan
01-06-2010, 12:09 PM
I would go to the houge site and look at the pictures. YOu might look at some of the new small frame smiths that use the snap on grip. Can't remember which models but the one I got to take apart was a scandium frame.

2shot
01-06-2010, 12:20 PM
When Hogue first can out I had one of their grips for a K frame Model 15 square butt that had the white nylon stuip and screw. I didn't like the setup so I never bought another set. I think they changed shortly after to metal sturip and screw.

Sorry I can't tell you what gun they fit but it sounds like a real early grip that Hogue made.

2shot.

MtGun44
01-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the help guys. The white nylon stirrup is unique in my experience, and the
fact that it hooks to the grip frame with barbs rather than going over a cross pin seems like
it would be unique. I suspect it is really old. I had not seen the large metal medallion on
one before.

I have looked it over closely, no markings at all. Seems like Hogue would mark it if just
for inventory purposes.

Bill

crabo
01-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Why not take a picture and send it to Hogue and ask what it fits?

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-07-2010, 08:51 AM
My SP101 uses metal . . . so does Sec Six, and BH . . .

S.R.Custom
01-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the help guys. The white nylon stirrup is unique in my experience... I suspect it is really old.

I think 'old' is the operative word here. Hogue grips went through a rapid evolution in the early days.

Reading this post had me looking back in my box of Hogue grips because it rang a bell... I have two Hogue grips for a square butt S&W N frame that require you to remove the cross pin from the frame handle. The grip itself is not routed out for the cross pin.

The keeper is a sheet metal affair with a captive nut somewhat like the current ones, but a key difference being the stirrup legs are longer and the holes that normally snap over the cross pin are out at the very end of the stirrup. There is a little chunk of aluminum with raised bosses on the ends that goes on the inside of the frame and snaps into the holes on the stirrup. This allows the stirrup to slide around on the grip frame allowing it to line up with the hole in the grip wherever it might be.

I'd post a pic, but I only have the grip; I can't find that keeper.

Anyway, my point to all of this is, your grip may very well be made for a S&W J frame. It may just be that yours is like mine and requires you to remove the cross pin...

MtGun44
01-07-2010, 05:43 PM
OK !!! THANKS. I will try knocking out the pin and see. It does look like it might
fit, just fooled me that the crosspin slot wasn't there, figgered it had to be for some
other gun.

Bill

S.R.Custom
01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm digging this one up because I've got some new information... I talked to Ron Herman, sales manager for Hogue at the SHOT show. He gave me some history on this grip...

Back in the late 80s Hogue did some 'value engineering' of its products, and for a while made their grips with the nylon stirrup instead of the spring-steel & captive nut stirrup. The change was met with widespread derision and protest. And with good reason. The plastic stirrups would easily pull off, or the placticizers would leach out of the nylon and the stirrup would break, rendering the grip useless. Very quickly after that, Hogue returned to the afore-mentioned steel stirrup.

Bill, see your PM box for more info.