PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I need to narrow it down...

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 12:19 AM
I keep getting different opinions on what would be the best round to cast for .45acp and I would like to get a consensus on it and then choose a mold.

By the end of the week, I will buy one of these 3 molds with the rest of the equipment I will buy from Midway.

I prefer this one:

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-200-RF 45 ACP (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=789762)

I keep hearing that this would be better because it is the standard 230gr that the .45acp was designed for:

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-230-TC 45 ACP (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=776747)

And a couple fella's said that a heavier round was better like this one:

Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-255-RF 45 ACP (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=775664)

I am interested in the 200gr because from what I understand a lighter smaller round (than say 230gr) will be faster and more accurate.

So I would like your guys experienced opinion on this if you would. And if you had to choose one and only one of these rounds to be the first (and only) round you will cast for a while, which would it be..?

Thanks again..!

Muddy Creek Sam
01-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Accuracy and speed depend on your load and fit of the bullet in the barrel. I use a 225 gr lrn in my 1911. Try to keep all my loads close to my carry ammo.

Sam :D

Uncle R.
01-06-2010, 12:33 AM
If I had only one mould for my .45 ACP it would be the 452460 200 gr SWC. It does just about anything that you'd ask of a 1911 very well. Heck - I do use it for everything already. Although I have several other moulds for the ACP they haven't been used since - well - since, er - a long time indeed.
<
Uncle R.

Firebricker
01-06-2010, 12:46 AM
I would'nt go over 230gr in 45acp 200gr-230gr would be my choice. The 200gr is going to have a little less recoil. As far as design I like truncated cone or round nose but lot's of guys really like the semi wadcutters. I just looked at a midway flyer they have lee 6-cav molds on sale for $34.59 you have to buy handles for the 6-cavs but you could crank out a lot of boolits. I also saw midway has Lee pro 4-20 bottom pour on sale for $57.99. I don't know if that would be too much over budget something to think about. There are guy's here that have shot ton's of 45acp boolits in compatitions that will be able to give you ideas on which mold to start with. FB

geargnasher
01-06-2010, 01:03 AM
There are some issues with loading anything over 230 advertised grain weight boolits in a .45 ACP, has to do with seating depth and case volume. There is little to no useful published data on this to go off of, so it might be best to save it for a later project.

I vote the Lee 230 grain TC in either traditional or micro-groove designs (TL), and I would plan on tumble-lubing either one. I have them both in addition to nearly a dozen other designs and they work very, very well in my guns. See the Sticky in the lube forum http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654 .

Stick with a two-cavity for now, you may want to get a six and the required additional handles later in the same style if you really like it.

Gear

Daddyfixit
01-06-2010, 01:32 AM
For my money i'd go with this one
Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL452-200-SWC http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=662400

RobS
01-06-2010, 01:32 AM
You never told of what 45 you plan on casting for. The 200 grain RF will work in an XD for sure and many 1911's where as the 230 TC will feed in just about anything platform. Playing with the seating depth to make cycling reliable will need to be taken into account as every firearm is a bit different.

I have used both and the TC 230 grain which actually comes out to almost 240 grains from my mold and the 200 grain RF bullet which also comes out heavy at 210 grains. These were cast with straight wheel weights so the extra weight may or may not matter to you. I personally like the larger meplat of the 200 grain bullet and the slightly less felt recoil. Either one can be made very accurate with several different powders. I've had my best accuracy from the mid powder burners such as unique, herco, universal etc. Offset from the 200 grain RF having a possible feed issue in a 1911 my vote would go to the 200 grainer as it is my preference.

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 01:47 AM
I will be casting for my CCW, which is a Taurus PT 145 Mil Pro.

It was my first sub-compact, hammer-less or polymer handgun, which used to be 3 qualities in a handgun that I despised. I am proud to say that I am VERY pleased with it. I was skeptical only about the features I listed above, but not about it being a Taurus. I own 2 other Taurus' a PT 92AF 9mm and a PT 101P .40 S&W and they have both performed flawlessly.

You never told of what 45 you plan on casting for. The 200 grain RF will work in an XD for sure and many 1911's where as the 230 TC will feed in just about anything platform. Playing with the seating depth to make cycling reliable will need to be taken into account as every firearm is a bit different.

I have used both and the TC 230 grain which actually comes out to almost 240 grains from my mold and the 200 grain RF bullet which also comes out heavy at 210 grains. These were cast with straight wheel weights so the extra weight may or may not matter to you. I personally like the larger meplat of the 200 grain bullet and the slightly less felt recoil. Either one can be made very accurate with several different powders. I've had my best accuracy from the mid powder burners such as unique, herco, universal etc. Offset from the 200 grain RF having a possible feed issue in a 1911 my vote would go to the 200 grainer as it is my preference.

fredj338
01-06-2010, 01:48 AM
You never told of what 45 you plan on casting for. The 200 grain RF will work in an XD for sure and many 1911's where as the 230 TC will feed in just about anything platform. Playing with the seating depth to make cycling reliable will need to be taken into account as every firearm is a bit different
This is pretty important. Some pistols will not reliabley feed the 200grLSWc, XDs, G30. A higher vel. bullet does not mean more accuracy, just doesn't work that way, besides, you are only talking about 50fps diff between 200gr & 230gr. The 255grRNFP is not designed for the 45acp & while it will work, the 200gr-230gr is a better fit. If you want a good, reliable bullet design, always go RN & that would be the 230grRN. IMO, bypass the 2cav Lee & go w/ the 6cav, just a better designed mold.

sagacious
01-06-2010, 01:49 AM
I own all those molds (in 6cav) and have loaded them all in 45ACP. It's easy to narrow that list down.

The LEE 255 can be loaded in the 45ACP, but is far from ideal. The increased recoil and reduced loading recipe options detract from target-practice utility. It may not shoot anywhere near point-of-aim in your pistol.

The LEE 200 feeds 100% in all my 45's; it may or may not feed 100% in yours.. Accuracy is excellent. Load to OAL and disregard the crimp groove location for the 45ACP. This one rapidly became one of my favorites.

The 230tc has been very accurate in every 45 I've ever used it in. You cannot go too far wrong with this design. I like it a lot, but I pour/shoot more of the 200, since it economizes on both lead and recoil when used for target practice. As a multi-purpose design though, the LEE 230tc is hard to beat.

Hope this helps, good luck. :drinks:

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 01:54 AM
Oh yeah...

I almost forgot that I have my second sub-compact handgun on the way this week. I was so impressed with the PT 145 that I went and bought the Taurus 24/7 sub-compact .40 S&W as a second choice for a CCW.

This one here:
TAURUS 24/7 PRO™ .40 S&W PISTOL IN BLUE STEEL "COMPACT" (http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=98&category=Pistol&toggle=&breadcrumbseries=)

From the research I have done the 24/7's are one of the most reliable handguns on the market today.

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Yes that helped a GREAT DEAL thanks..!

And that pretty much settles it for me, which it is the mold/design I was leaning toward anyway.

Thanks again..!

I own all those molds (in 6cav) and have loaded them all in 45ACP. It's easy to narrow that list down.

The LEE 255 can be loaded in the 45ACP, but is far from ideal. The increased recoil and reduced loading recipe options detract from target-practice utility. It may not shoot anywhere near point-of-aim in your pistol.

The LEE 200 feeds 100% in all my 45's; it may or may not feed 100% in yours.. Accuracy is excellent. Load to OAL and disregard the crimp groove location for the 45ACP. This one rapidly became one of my favorites.

The 230tc has been very accurate in every 45 I've ever used it in. You cannot go too far wrong with this design. I like it a lot, but I pour/shoot more of the 200, since it economizes on both lead and recoil when used for target practice. As a multi-purpose design though, the LEE 230tc is hard to beat.

Hope this helps, good luck. :drinks:

KYCaster
01-06-2010, 02:47 AM
The 230 TC(truncated cone) is not the "standard" that the 1911 was designed for. The original load was a 230 jacketed round nose.

I've loaded the 45ACP with a veriety of cast boolits from 155 to 270 gr. and accuracy was never an issue with any of them.

If this is your first attempt at casting for your 1911, I think a mold that duplicates the 230 gr ball would be your best bet and I don't think Lee makes one. Second choice would be their 230 RN.

Good luck
Jerry

lylejb
01-06-2010, 02:58 AM
OK, I started a thread on the 452-200-RF in a 1911, about a week ago.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=71056

some people said it was great, some said not. It didn't really settle much.

Myself, I'm leaning toward the TC, mainly because I've seen several people here say it works very well.

In my thoughts, the 255 is more than I want for the 45ACP. It would have to be seated deep, to keep a functional length, and that would reduce powder capacity. I also don't see a reason for that much lead going downrange for general practice or plinking. If I were going hunting, I would take a .357 mag, or a 44 mag.

The 200 SWC is the classic target boolit, but can have feed issues in some guns.

I really think it comes down to what your gun likes, and you can only find that by trying it.

I think the TC Is the best, surest of your 3 options for a "one and only" mold.

mpmarty
01-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I have cast and shot thousands of 200gr semi wad cutters ala H&G #62 and like them quite well. That said my XD hates them and they cause all sorts of problems including damage to magazines when trying to use them. The best boolit I've found to replace is the LEE 230gr Truncated Cone TL which feeds and functions very well. I agree on the quality of the PT145 PRO for CCW as that's all I have carried for the past few years. Great gun!

243winxb
01-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Buy this one for 45acp
Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-200-SWC 45 ACP, 45 Auto Rim, 45 Colt (Long Colt) (452 Diameter) 200 Grain Semi-Wadcutter
Product #: 378487
| Manufacturer #: 90348 http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=378487

gray wolf
01-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Umm--sub compact?? What kind of competition are you shooting with a sub compact 45 acp.??
Anyway with that in mind I would try before you by.
The 230 gr. lead round nose may be the most functioning bullet for your purpose. Just saying.
PM me and I will send you some 200 gr. swc from my H&G # 68 mold. If they don't shoot the #68 they may not shoot a WC. I can also let you try some 230 LRN from a Lyman mold.

GW.

sdelam
01-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Anyone ever try one of these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=264838

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
I figured someone would ask ... ;)

So, yes I am using my CCW subcompact to shoot with an USPSA/IDPA group. But I'm not doing this for the competition aspect, although I am very competitive by nature, and I'm certainly not going to build a "race gun".

I am doing this to get practical trigger time and work on self defense skills with the pistol I would defend my life with. You see, around this part of Texas all of the public ranges have changed in that you can NOT do any sort of movement, holster draw or rapid fire period. You can not use FMJ ammo, I figure that might be because it would be cheaper and you could afford to shoot more often. ;)

The only thing you are "allowed" to do (by a London based insurance underwriter) is stand in a static position at your shooting table (for handgun) or sit your ass at your shooting bench (for rifle/carbine) and fire one controlled shot every 2 to 3 seconds. That is absolutely useless for self defense, and I would bet that the UK based insurance company knows this.

So I have joined a shooting group where, for some strange reason, all of these rules and restrictions go out the window when they (we) show up to shoot for our competitions.

Umm--sub compact?? What kind of competition are you shooting with a sub compact 45 acp.??
Anyway with that in mind I would try before you by.
The 230 gr. lead round nose may be the most functioning bullet for your purpose. Just saying.
PM me and I will send you some 200 gr. swc from my H&G # 68 mold. If they don't shoot the #68 they may not shoot a WC. I can also let you try some 230 LRN from a Lyman mold.

GW.

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks but I am not interested in these SWC bullets. Everything I have heard about them so far has leaned toward these rounds being great for target competition and I want to use something that is as close to what I would use for self defense as I can get.

For self defense I stagger my 10 round mag with golden saber HP's and what ever kind of FMJ I have on hand. The Hp's are 185gr and the FMJ's are 230gr. Which is why I have decided to go with a 200gr mold so I am working with a bullet size that is right in the middle.

Buy this one for 45acp http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=378487

EMC45
01-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I like the 230gr. TC. Shoots great!

gray wolf
01-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Good explanation-- I think there are some 200 gr. RN bullets out there but the ones I have seen have a little step just before the round nose begins.
You say as close to what you carry--it seems there is a 45 gr. Difference in your two carry loads. Do they shoot to the same point P O A ?.
I would think the 200 gr. is just another thing in the mix--yes/no?
I would stay away from the 255 gr. bullet and your choice of 200 gr. is a 45 long colt bullet.
Thats why it has a crimp ring for a roll crimp. It functions in some 45 acp's but not all. I guess it looks cool .
If it were me and I only have prior leo Exp. and 25-30 years shooting 45acp and one shootout. I would load 230 gr. Golden sabers or 230 gr. god dots, and forget all the hype a-bout staggered bullets in a mag. It's looking for trouble.
My mold would be a 200 gr. RN or 230 gr. RN. if the shape isn't sexy enough go with the 230 gr. Trunk. cone.
Just my opinion we all live and learn. I don't mean to sound sarcastic in any way I just type that way sometimes, and I am truly trying to help here.

GW.

But I must add I am sratching my head on this one---If you carry 185's and 230"s (factoty)What is to gain by shooting a 200 grain cast bullet. recoil/NO-- POA/no, unless you mess with the powder charge.

35remington
01-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Lee does indeed make a mould that duplicates the 230 ball or FMJ profile, contrary to what was said earlier.

It's the 230-2R and is currently offered. This is your "most likely to feed" choice, more so than anything you've listed.

The 200 RF is not a standard 45 ACP bullet. It's the 255 with one band removed. It's a Cowboy Action Shooting bullet. It is a nonstandard feed profile for 45 ACP, and it may feed and it may not.

The HG 68 design also duplicates the ball feeding characteristic despite the fact that it looks quite different.....this is the "longnose" SWC of 200 grain weight you've probably seen before. It did not make your listing, and it really should, because behind ball it is the second most likely bullet shape to feed in 45 pistols. Lee's copy of this design is somewhat less faithful to the original, and other manufacturers make a better HG 68 clone.

Of the three you list, the 230 TC has the most utility and would be my choice if you refuse to consider anythng else. All others are of a nonstandard design and more of a gamble as to reliability.

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the reply...

About the two loads shooting POA, I have not held still and fired that precise with them to say yes or no. All I know is that when I bark off 2, 3 or 4 of them quickly, as I would if defending myself, they all strike within a 6 to 8 inch group at about say, 10 yards or so... Now that won't win me any trophies at competitions, but that ain't the point for me. What it will do (shooting .45acp) is drop a threat with some serious chest injuries, even if the thug is wearing armor.

I am thinking that this will be a good middle ground to represent both rounds I load, and to be honest I didn't know there was any "hype" about staggering rounds in a mag. I just did it because it seems to make sense to me. Since I will always fire at least 2 (certainly more) shots at a threat, I figure if one doesn't do the job for some reason the other will. ;)

About the shape I chose, it is pretty cool looking ain't it..? But I want the flat nose for a couple reasons. One being the philosophy on .40 S&W rounds and their flat nose being a harder hitting round with energy transfer. And another reason is that I want to possibly experiment with drilling these into hollow points later on. Plus, did I mention that they look cool..?!?! ;)

About your head scratching, as I wrote earlier, I figured it to be a happy medium between the two different size rounds I load for personal defense. It stands to reason that the 230gr FMJ will kick more than the 185gr HP and my cast 200gr "should" be right in the middle as far as recoil and muzzle jump are concerned. I might be wrong, I'll admit it, but it seems to me that shooting a happy medium will "train" me to not over or under compensate for either of my defensive rounds. Also, I will be buying more molds of different designs down the road for sure. So it ain't like "this is it" for me where .45acp is concerened.

Thanks again..! [smilie=w:

Good explanation-- I think there are some 200 gr. RN bullets out there but the ones I have seen have a little step just before the round nose begins.
You say as close to what you carry--it seems there is a 45 gr. Difference in your two carry loads. Do they shoot to the same point P O A ?.
I would think the 200 gr. is just another thing in the mix--yes/no?
I would stay away from the 255 gr. bullet and your choice of 200 gr. is a 45 long colt bullet.
Thats why it has a crimp ring for a roll crimp. It functions in some 45 acp's but not all. I guess it looks cool .
If it were me and I only have prior leo Exp. and 25-30 years shooting 45acp and one shootout. I would load 230 gr. Golden sabers or 230 gr. god dots, and forget all the hype a-bout staggered bullets in a mag. It's looking for trouble.
My mold would be a 200 gr. RN or 230 gr. RN. if the shape isn't sexy enough go with the 230 gr. Trunk. cone.
Just my opinion we all live and learn. I don't mean to sound sarcastic in any way I just type that way sometimes, and I am truly trying to help here.

GW.

But I must add I am sratching my head on this one---If you carry 185's and 230"s (factoty)What is to gain by shooting a 200 grain cast bullet. recoil/NO-- POA/no, unless you mess with the powder charge.

gray wolf
01-06-2010, 11:23 PM
OK I am out of this one. You guys can have at it.
I get the feeling I should play "lets guess your age"
I get a little fuzzy when all the effort is on killing.
Pissed people off before so what else is new.--
I hate posting this but I got to

I bark off 2, 3 or 4 of them quicklythey all strike within a 6 to 8 inch group at about say, 10 yards or so
the shape I chose, it is pretty cool looking ain't it..?
the philosophy on .40 S&W rounds and their flat nose being a harder hitting round with energy transfer.
Plus, did I mention that they look cool..?!?!
two loads shooting POA, I have not held still and fired that precise with them to say
yes or no.

defending myself
drop a threat with some serious chest injuries
shots at a threat

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 11:29 PM
What..?

Ok, that's too bad because I appreciated your input.

Oh well, take care and thanks anyway.

By the way, no need to guess, I'm 40.

OK I am out of this one. You guys can have at it.
I get the feeling I should play "lets guess your age"
I get a little fuzzy when all the effort is on killing.
Pissed people off before so what else is new.--
I hate posting this but I got to

Marcus the Cat
01-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Oh and P.S.

The effort isn't on "killing", it is on self defense.

You know, our 2nd amendment right..?

Take care..!

geargnasher
01-06-2010, 11:36 PM
????

Gear

geargnasher
01-06-2010, 11:43 PM
One thing to consider about the TC design, or any flat-nosed boolit fired out of a 1911-style .45 acp is that only the first round out of the magazine will look like it did when it was loaded. All the rest will have wedge-shaped noses from impacting the forward curve of the magazine under recoil. The only way out of this is use a RN design, cast a super-hard alloy, or use a RN designed Hollow Point (like the 452374 Devastator) with the HP cavity filled with JB Weld. If you do this last you need to do shoot some wet newspaper before you decide to carry it for possible real-world defense.

FWIW,

Gear

Eutectic
01-06-2010, 11:58 PM
The HG 68 design also duplicates the ball feeding characteristic despite the fact that it looks quite different.....this is the "longnose" SWC of 200 grain weight you've probably seen before. It did not make your listing, and it really should, because behind ball it is the second most likely bullet shape to feed in 45 pistols. Lee's copy of this design is somewhat less faithful to the original, and other manufacturers make a better HG 68 clone.

I'll go along with 35remington on the HG 68. It feeds like a dream, is extremely accurate and whacks meat better than hardball. The last deer I killed was shot with it as a matter of fact! (Opportunity shot)

Eutectic

Marcus the Cat
01-07-2010, 12:01 AM
That's good to know..!

I will shoot them out of my Taurus PT 145 Mil Pro. And I was going to experiment with quenching them for hardness. And as for making/drilling HP with them, I was also going to experiment with the tip with hot glue. I have read about this really helping the expansion process.

So wet news papers huh.

I was wondering about that, or perhaps if there was a place you could go shoot clay or gelatin.

One thing to consider about the TC design, or any flat-nosed boolit fired out of a 1911-style .45 acp is that only the first round out of the magazine will look like it did when it was loaded. All the rest will have wedge-shaped noses from impacting the forward curve of the magazine under recoil. The only way out of this is use a RN design, cast a super-hard alloy, or use a RN designed Hollow Point (like the 452374 Devastator) with the HP cavity filled with JB Weld. If you do this last you need to do shoot some wet newspaper before you decide to carry it for possible real-world defense.

FWIW,

Gear

Tazman1602
01-07-2010, 12:02 AM
Marcus,

Either one of these:
Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-200-RF 45 ACP
Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-230-TC 45 ACP

Will suit your purpose. The 255 grain, ah, NO. I have long slide .45's, 1911 and Ruger P90. My 1911 has been tightened up and doesn't like much besides the *standard* 230 gr FMJ Round NOSE bullet but it shoots that VERY accurately.

My Ruger will feed about anything I put through it but it REALLY likes that 230 grain truncated cone (TC) Lee bullet. My 1911 shoots it very accurately also but does jam with it a bit. I know how to fix that I just don't want to.

ONE shot every two to three seconds????? That's just STUPID............

Hey ya' gots some votes, whatcha' going to buy?

Art

Marcus the Cat
01-07-2010, 12:29 AM
I'm going with this one:

It has the middle ground weight I want and it looks like something I can experiment with down the road.

And yeah, tell me about it..! One shot every 2 to 3 seconds is a joke. They don't actually "count" but they just jump your ass for anything that resembles a double tap.

Marcus,

Either one of these:
Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 452-230-TC 45 ACP

Will suit your purpose. The 255 grain, ah, NO. I have long slide .45's, 1911 and Ruger P90. My 1911 has been tightened up and doesn't like much besides the *standard* 230 gr FMJ Round NOSE bullet but it shoots that VERY accurately.

My Ruger will feed about anything I put through it but it REALLY likes that 230 grain truncated cone (TC) Lee bullet. My 1911 shoots it very accurately also but does jam with it a bit. I know how to fix that I just don't want to.

ONE shot every two to three seconds????? That's just STUPID............

Hey ya' gots some votes, whatcha' going to buy?

Art

RobS
01-07-2010, 01:13 AM
I think you will be happy with your decision assuming that they feed and cycle well which they probably will. I really like the meplat of the bullet as it is large enough to dance on. [smilie=w:

Marcus the Cat
01-07-2010, 01:23 AM
And did we mention that it looks cool..?!?! ;)

I think you will be happy with your decision assuming that they feed and cycle well which they probably will. I really like the meplat of the bullet as it is large enough to dance on. [smilie=w:

Idahoshooter
01-07-2010, 01:56 AM
Ive been using the lee 230 tl 2r mold..cast and shot a couple thousand already. Accuracy in beretta cx4 carbine is better than i can see to shoot...also no feed or eject issues at all. Only problems where with mold fillout and offcenter boolits..solved both fairly easily. Same basic profile as fmj ball.

fredj338
01-07-2010, 03:16 AM
For self defense I stagger my 10 round mag with golden saber HP's and what ever kind of FMJ I have on hand. The Hp's are 185gr and the FMJ's are 230gr. Which is why I have decided to go with a 200gr mold so I am working with a bullet size that is right in the middle.
Very sheek, but why? How do you know what bullets are going to come up when the SHTF? Your only hit may be the FMJ. If you trust the FMJ to get it done, then just carry that. Not to mention the diff. in felt recoil & POI. Really, there is no advatnage to staggering JHP & FMJ or bullets of diff wts. Just pick one, practice & have your CCW less complicated. The 200gr wt is great as long as teh LSWC wil run in your pistol. Before yo ubuy, might be wise to take GW up on his offer & try a dozen or so.

Marcus the Cat
01-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Well, I went and did it...

I ordered the Lee 4 hole turret press, Lee deluxe carbide 4-Die set for .45acp and a Lee 2-Cav bullet mold 452-200-RF tonight.

It should all arrive on the 11th. [smilie=2:

If you don't hear from me in two weeks I am either obsessed with casting and loading or I have somehow managed to kill myself in the process...

[smilie=s:

Marcus the Cat
01-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Because I like to rock the cazbah..!

But seriously, I have practiced and trained enough with moving targets and moving off the X that I know I will hit center mass at least 85% of the time. Which translates to both types of rounds striking the target. And even more info than I'm sure you want/need ;), I know that my first 3 to 4 rounds will strike my intended target 100% of the time if I fire that many. It's the later rounds where it gets a little iffy.

So in other words, I am 100% confident at 20 yards or less, that I will put two of each type on target 100% of the time, so I say, why not..?

One type penetrates better the other does more internal damage if it penetrates. I started doing this with 9mm due to the tendency for it to over penetrate. And I really don't see any reason to "not" do it with any other round unless you are talking about .50AE perhaps. If you get hit with any of that ammo, you're in for a really bad day..!

Very sheek, but why? How do you know what bullets are going to come up when the SHTF? Your only hit may be the FMJ. If you trust the FMJ to get it done, then just carry that. Not to mention the diff. in felt recoil & POI. Really, there is no advatnage to staggering JHP & FMJ or bullets of diff wts. Just pick one, practice & have your CCW less complicated. The 200gr wt is great as long as teh LSWC wil run in your pistol. Before yo ubuy, might be wise to take GW up on his offer & try a dozen or so.

Recluse
01-07-2010, 04:13 AM
If I had only one mould for my .45 ACP it would be the 452460 200 gr SWC. It does just about anything that you'd ask of a 1911 very well. Heck - I do use it for everything already. Although I have several other moulds for the ACP they haven't been used since - well - since, er - a long time indeed.
<
Uncle R.

Could not possibly agree with you more.

This is my number two boolit behind my beloved TL158SWC, and it's a very close second.

Lot of folks aren't crazy about the bevel base, but it's never bothered me. Yeah, it makes for a bit more work coming out of the lubesizer, but so what? The boolit casts like a dream, loads up like a gift from Heaven, and is as versatile and accurate as any boolit I have ever loaded and shot.

I even use it for light plinking rounds for 45 Colt.

:coffee:

Marcus the Cat
01-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Hey..!

I'm a member of the GOA, how do I get one of those fancy logos under my name..?

Could not possibly agree with you more.

This is my number two boolit behind my beloved TL158SWC, and it's a very close second.

Lot of folks aren't crazy about the bevel base, but it's never bothered me. Yeah, it makes for a bit more work coming out of the lubesizer, but so what? The boolit casts like a dream, loads up like a gift from Heaven, and is as versatile and accurate as any boolit I have ever loaded and shot.

I even use it for light plinking rounds for 45 Colt.

Recluse
01-07-2010, 04:27 AM
Because I like to rock the cazbah..!

But seriously, I have practiced and trained enough with moving targets and moving off the X that I know I will hit center mass at least 85% of the time. Which translates to both types of rounds striking the target. And even more info than I'm sure you want/need ;), I know that my first 3 to 4 rounds will strike my intended target 100% of the time if I fire that many. It's the later rounds where it gets a little iffy.

So in other words, I am 100% confident at 20 yards or less, that I will put two of each type on target 100% of the time, so I say, why not..?

Hmmm. Maybe a little thread drift might occur here. . .

Long time ago, when I was much younger, in better shape and the recipient of some of the absolute best, all-world-class training Uncle Sam and his merry bands of marauders could provide, I used to think the exact same way you did.

No way in hell could I, or (gasp) would I ever miss my target at such an unmanly and measly distance of less than 25 meters.

Unfortunately, in my first experience with real live wet-your-pants exchange of real live bullets fired by real live enemies who wanted to kill you real bad. . .

Let's just say I'm very grateful, to this day even, that there were some more experienced "been there and done that" guys with me.

Until you've been absolutely, positively tested under fire--not simulated, not "stress tested"--but tested as in real bullets flying back at you and your hands are sweating, you're sure you're gonna puke, and your testicles have retracted so far up inside you that even Sigourney Weaver, of Alien fame would be impressed. . .

It's not healthy to assume that just because you practice and train that you will perform as flawlessly in a real do-or-die situation with events that have quickly turned to liquid you-know-what and spiralled out of control as you do at the range with events squarely under control.

Plan for the worst and base your contingency plan and strategy with the assumption that things will go wrong rather than assume that things will go the way you want them to. And that definitely includes proper firearm, ammo and bullet selection.

Marcus the Cat
01-07-2010, 05:01 AM
I couldn't agree more..!

But you assume that I have never experienced anything similar, and I have. I have had a gun pulled on me twice (in the bad part of town in LA) and a knife once. Both times I had a gun pulled on me I was scared ****tless, but to my pleasant surprise, kept my wits and composure. I didn't panic or freak out. After I was safely out of harms way, I started shaking like crazy for a couple hours. But during the "episode" I was ok.

Now in both of these instances I didn't have a gun and therefore was unable to adequately defend myself, but knowing what I know now due to these life experiences, I am 100% certain that I will resort to my training, perform and preform adequately under pressure.

I won't like it and I will be scared ****tless, but I will do what I have to do and get it done at least "close" to the way I train. Which is the whole point of training and muscle memory in the first place now isn't it..?

;)

Hmmm. Maybe a little thread drift might occur here. . .

Long time ago, when I was much younger, in better shape and the recipient of some of the absolute best, all-world-class training Uncle Sam and his merry bands of marauders could provide, I used to think the exact same way you did.

No way in hell could I, or (gasp) would I ever miss my target at such an unmanly and measly distance of less than 25 meters.

Unfortunately, in my first experience with real live wet-your-pants exchange of real live bullets fired by real live enemies who wanted to kill you real bad. . .

Let's just say I'm very grateful, to this day even, that there were some more experienced "been there and done that" guys with me.

Until you've been absolutely, positively tested under fire--not simulated, not "stress tested"--but tested as in real bullets flying back at you and your hands are sweating, you're sure you're gonna puke, and your testicles have retracted so far up inside you that even Sigourney Weaver, of Alien fame would be impressed. . .

It's not healthy to assume that just because you practice and train that you will perform as flawlessly in a real do-or-die situation with events that have quickly turned to liquid you-know-what and spiralled out of control as you do at the range with events squarely under control.

Plan for the worst and base your contingency plan and strategy with the assumption that things will go wrong rather than assume that things will go the way you want them to. And that definitely includes proper firearm, ammo and bullet selection.

Marcus the Cat
01-07-2010, 05:02 AM
P.S. - You didn't tell me how to get one of those snazzy GOA logos for my info..! ;)

XWrench3
01-07-2010, 08:59 AM
i bought the 230g round nose tumble lube lee mold for my 45acp. initially, i wanted the 200g swc one, but they had been on backorder for over a month when i ordered the mold i did. the boolits the 6 cavity mold produces are great. absoloutly nothing wrong with them at all. you probably wouldn't do bad with either of them. but i would suggest a 6 cavity mold. they are a little more finicky than a 2 cav., but the amount of boolits you can produce is well worth the extra price and time to figure it out. if you get a 6 cavity mold, the two biggest things to produce good boolits are 1) get the mold HOT! and 2) once it is hot, you will need a way to cool it off occaisionally. all that heat from all that lead builds up in a hurry once the mold is up to temp. i have used 2 methods. 1 is a wet towel that i place the bottom of the closed mold onto, and the 2nd is a spray bottle filled with water. both work well, just make sure you do not get water INSIDE the mold!

Marcus the Cat
01-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I think I will borrow your wet towel trick, thanks..!

Something else I was considering when I made my purchase with Midway last night was buying a second mold, the 230gr round nose mold, and alternating them while casting.

Since aluminum cools off relatively fast compared to steel, I figured the 20 (maybe 30) extra seconds between castings would give the molds time to cool just enough but not too much. And I would be getting two different bullets during each cast.

i bought the 230g round nose tumble lube lee mold for my 45acp. initially, i wanted the 200g swc one, but they had been on backorder for over a month when i ordered the mold i did. the boolits the 6 cavity mold produces are great. absoloutly nothing wrong with them at all. you probably wouldn't do bad with either of them. but i would suggest a 6 cavity mold. they are a little more finicky than a 2 cav., but the amount of boolits you can produce is well worth the extra price and time to figure it out. if you get a 6 cavity mold, the two biggest things to produce good boolits are 1) get the mold HOT! and 2) once it is hot, you will need a way to cool it off occaisionally. all that heat from all that lead builds up in a hurry once the mold is up to temp. i have used 2 methods. 1 is a wet towel that i place the bottom of the closed mold onto, and the 2nd is a spray bottle filled with water. both work well, just make sure you do not get water INSIDE the mold!