PDA

View Full Version : Bore ride nose in 45 LC revolvers.

Changeling
01-05-2010, 07:10 PM
I read some articles on bore ride nose bullets and was wondering if anyone has expounded on this.

I don't mean the Keith style, but the LBT style bullets. I don't understand the term exactly relative to revolver bullets. What would be a nose ride vs a WFN projectile? Can some one explain? relative to the "Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". You know what I mean!

outdoorfan
01-05-2010, 08:33 PM
No such thing as a bore-ride LBT of any kind, as far as I know. Veral hates those designs. Bore ride simply means that the forward portion of the bearing surface is a slightly narrower diameter to ride on the lands rather than deeper into the grooves.

WFN means wide flat nose & LFN means long flat nose. Neither design is a bore-rider. The LFN has a longer nose with more ballistic coefficient and a smaller meplat. The WFN has a wider meplat & a shorter nose. LFN's shoot better at long range (150+ yards in revolvers).

bobke
01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
not certain, because i don't have the round in front of me, but i've got some bullets from cast performance in 280 wfn that have a narrow front band of full diameter and a smaller od nose w/wfn, but can't measure to give you a definitive response. regardless, this bullet shoots really well with 16.5 2400 in a dx629 x 6.5" barrel-as recently as last weekend. will check when able and advise dimensions.

Edubya
01-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I read some articles on bore ride nose bullets and was wondering if anyone has expounded on this.

I don't mean the Keith style, but the LBT style bullets. I don't understand the term exactly relative to revolver bullets. What would be a nose ride vs a WFN projectile? Can some one explain? relative to the "Good, the Bad, and the Ugly". You know what I mean!
I've never seen a pistol caliber bore rider. I don't think that the heads are long enough. I've seen them in .25, 243, 30-30 and 7mm. A friend of mine has a SAECO mould in 7mm but he doesn't use it much, if at all. Maybe you could go to the SAECO site and see a few, they look like a shoulder down bullet.
EW

44man
01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I sure do not want a bore ride for my revolvers. The closest to a bore ride is the Keith but usually the nose is smaller then the bore. If you stick the nose in the muzzle it will wobble back and forth. This is why most are hard to work with and show less accuracy then the LBT.
All of my boolits, even my home made molds have either an LBT WLN or WFN, or a RNFP shape.
I want the nose to enter the forcing cone and align everything.
I also firmly believe in a few thousands side play in a cylinder, I do not want a rock solid lockup.
A friend has a custom revolver and it shows a little play on the cylinder pin too, no end play though. It is extremely accurate.
I feel that a real bore ride in a revolver will have the nose going into the rifling when it is too late and most of the boolit will be out of the throat. You will have lost alignment and already damaged the boolit.
The little shoulder on a Keith will just get mashed on one side if your cylinder/ bore alignment is not 100% perfect. I have only owned a few guns that shot them good. Even back then, no groups came close to what I get today.

Changeling
01-06-2010, 03:40 PM
I sure do not want a bore ride for my revolvers. The closest to a bore ride is the Keith but usually the nose is smaller then the bore. If you stick the nose in the muzzle it will wobble back and forth. This is why most are hard to work with and show less accuracy then the LBT.
All of my boolits, even my home made molds have either an LBT WLN or WFN, or a RNFP shape.
I want the nose to enter the forcing cone and align everything.
I also firmly believe in a few thousands side play in a cylinder, I do not want a rock solid lockup.
A friend has a custom revolver and it shows a little play on the cylinder pin too, no end play though. It is extremely accurate.
I feel that a real bore ride in a revolver will have the nose going into the rifling when it is too late and most of the boolit will be out of the throat. You will have lost alignment and already damaged the boolit.
The little shoulder on a Keith will just get mashed on one side if your cylinder/ bore alignment is not 100% perfect. I have only owned a few guns that shot them good. Even back then, no groups came close to what I get today.

I just wanted to know what they were, had no idea. After what you just told me I see no reason to ever want one either. You have a very good way of explaining things Jim, it always makes perfect sense to me and others when I get one of your scoldings/observations.

Thanks to all for there replies and assistance.

44man
01-07-2010, 12:01 AM
I just wanted to know what they were, had no idea. After what you just told me I see no reason to ever want one either. You have a very good way of explaining things Jim, it always makes perfect sense to me and others when I get one of your scoldings/observations.

Thanks to all for there replies and assistance.
I never scold. I only post my observations.
I want everyone to just give things a try and not stick to any one way of doing things. The more fellas experiment and test, the more we will all learn.
I don't know it all and never will but with so many here that know so much. it helps me too.
Revolvers are just so much of a challenge it is hard to stop. I have never had so much fun with any other guns.