PDA

View Full Version : primer catcher for Spar-T press

JMtoolman
01-05-2010, 11:41 AM
My wife was complaining about primers on the floor, even thought I kept a wast can under the press, a few would escape. So I went and made a 1/2 inch copper tube for a primer catcher. I first bent it into a 3 inch diameter half circle to go around the origional primer pivot. I cut the end of the tube to match up with the slot in the ram where the primers are ejected. Then I bent the tube around to the right and then stright down by the pivot pin for the handle. I silver soldered a .250 thick piece of mild steel to the copper tube where the pivot pin for the origional primer arm is cast on the main body. Drilled a quarter inch hole for the primer arm hole through the soldered piece so it could be attached to the press with the origional primer arm pin. Found a plastic screw bottle and cut a hole through the lid, slid it over the copper tube, and flaired the end. Now the bottle catches all the primers. And the wife is happy too!

hoosierlogger
01-05-2010, 07:43 PM
And the wife is happy too!

Thats the most important part. Post up a few pics if you got em, Id like to try something on my RCBS press. The little plastic tray dont have a very good success rate LOL.

1hole
01-05-2010, 08:26 PM
The "cure" for a primer catcher that doesn't is a little Lee "Reloader" press and a universal decap die. Mount the press over a 3/4" hole and let the spent caps drop through the hollow ram, into and out of the cavity in the body and into a pill bottle. Then get another of the same press' and mount a Lee Auto Prime II on it, together they make a great primer handling system!

Ben
01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
1hole :

I'll 2nd that motion ! !

Ben

Yosemite Sam
10-06-2010, 08:05 PM
I made a quick-and-dirty primer catcher for my Lyman Spar-T press out of a few pieces of 1/2" copper, a blob of plumbers epoxy and a rubber band, all of which I had lying around so it cost me nothing. It catches 99% of the primers. The only possible disadvantage is that you have to remove the mechanism for inserting primers, but since that thing doesn't work well (poor feeding) and is cumbersome when it actually works, I use a hand-held RCBS priming tool anyway. The pictures below should be self-explanatory. The plumber's epoxy helps hold the copper in place (aided by the rubber band) but don't stick the epoxy to your press. Rather, mix the epoxy, then wrap it in a piece of plastic wrap before gently squeezing it between the press and the copper tube. After it sets, you can remove the plastic wrap; this way you can put your primer catcher on and take it off to empty it. The dimensions and angles of the copper tubing isn't important, so long as it stays clear of the press handle.

fryboy
10-06-2010, 08:13 PM
my buddy ( a much much better welder than i ) who inherited my spar-t made a lil box that goes to the screw holes and even blued it , it isnt very big tho , i suppose either one could have a tube applied to the bottom to drain in a trash can or something , since u used putty i suppose u could also make a semi form fitting putty funnel easy enough , i always used the lee primer anyways with the single stages but nifty dohickey amigo !