PDA

View Full Version : the power of 1 drop of binary explosive - should we be worried?

w30wcf
01-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Detonation velocity 14,100 - 21,500 f.p.s.!
http://www.abum.com/41395/Extreme-Explosion-in-Tiny-Form.html

w30wcf

Rocky Raab
01-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, the speed of detonation refers to the velocity of the chemical reaction/pressure wave through the explosive material itself. It does NOT refer to the velocity of any debris created.

Quantity matters in explosives as much as it does in dropping lead on your foot. One drop of even the most energetic stuff might take your hand off, and would certainly ruin your chance of progeny if it were in your underpoopiepants. But to do more damage, you'd need more "stuff."

JIMinPHX
01-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I think that the speed of the fulminate in your primers is something like 3.2 miles per second. One little primer isn't exactly going to do a whole lot of damage.

Jim
01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
I've watched that video repeatedly and I doubt it. Someone pointed out to me that there is something that looks like wires flying away a few milliseconds after the explosion. Furthermore, I doubt that an amount that small could do that kind of damage. I'm not convinced the video is legitimate.

Larry Gibson
01-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Read the print; it says "The new mixture with an added sensitizer". Thus the explosive tested is not "binary" as stated. It consisted of 3 parts and they don't say what the "sensitizer" was. I've seen numerous mellons, cantelopes, etc. blown by blasting caps of various strengths which are PETN, a very, very potent explosive, and have not seen the damage done like that. Given the site it is on and the last question asked there is a political motive behind the demonstration, it's fake. I'm not buying it unless they want to market it as a MPNP (Man Portable Nuclear Pen).

Larry Gibson

jbunny
01-05-2010, 02:54 PM
my take on this kind of web site is big brother is phishing as to who
goes to these sites. me thinks that all those who visit are on a watch list.
jb

Firebricker
01-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Just my opinion but I think it's just more scare tactic nonsense. Just what the airline industry need's more panic. But just to be sure I will have my eye on the guy's on the plane with pocket protecter full of pens. LOL FB

OutHuntn84
01-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Wow wouldn't that be interesting. Now they are going to ban pens and watermelons on planes. lol Watermelon seeds = Shrapnel Who would of thunk it!

Baron von Trollwhack
01-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Sure this little bit of explosive is important ! As abdulla showed us at Christmas, our gooberment has a great many very stupid people in charge of very serious security matters and they are very consistent in screwing those up as a regular part of their best work. Think of what they do on mondays & fridays.

Starting with bozo, the chief D A** of the US of A could immediately dump on a fine police officer for his actions in the cambridge caper, and then later immediately warn us, the people, not to jump on hasan, a fellow believer, who had, beyond a doubt, just slain 13 in the middle of a military complex .

BvT

Tazman1602
01-05-2010, 06:15 PM
No way. If that was detcord OK but not from one drop I don't buy it. Methinks they had semtex, petn, or maybe even tannerite for added effect.............

softpoint
01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Most conventional explosives fall in that expansion range, 20,000fs. is not an unrealisic expansion velocity. BUT, the amount to produce a certain amount of energy can certainly vary, with the more modern military explosives taking far less to do the same job as older gels. Yes, binary explosives are pretty potent, from what I've been told, anyway.

Bert2368
01-05-2010, 07:45 PM
That video is a hoax. And an old hoax at that. Just because it's on the Internet is no reason to suspend critical thinking.

Sorry, but I endured far too many credulous and inexperienced folks posts on this piece of video crud when it was first foisted upon the net.

Lunk
01-06-2010, 04:31 AM
I saw absolutely nothing in that video to make me believe it was real. There are way to many variables in video to make me think it's real. if you saw that guy walk out to a watermelon on the grass, tape that fuse (without the pen) to it and light it and it had that effect, maybe I'd buy it. It was also interesting to note that I also saw a couple thin wires swinging around off the end of that pole after the explosion. Could someone pack enough explosives into a pen to cause damage? Yes, I think they could. Was that a demonstration of that? No I do not believe it was.

Another interesting thing to note, the website is owned buy a guy in Toronto Canada.

w30wcf
01-06-2010, 06:57 AM
I do hope that it is a hoax because if that's what 1 drop would do, I shudder to think of what a full pen could do on board an airplane.

w30wcf

Bert2368
01-06-2010, 08:21 AM
It's a HOAX. It first appeared on the net shortly after the supposed "liquid explosive in carry on" plot a couple of years ago. Been debunked many times, but nothing that goes viral on the net ever seems to go away.

**oneshot**
01-06-2010, 09:41 AM
just take note where the "explosion" takes place. Looks like an internal explosion to me, not a projected explosion from one side.