PDA

View Full Version : Large volume casting/sizing

DevilDog83
01-05-2010, 04:19 AM
Does anyone have any experience with some large volume equipment (few thousand an hour or so) for casting and sizing? Any info would be greatly appreciated

hammerhead357
01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
John, I used to use one of the auto casters from Magma but didn't like the way it beat up the boolits so went to all hand cast. I used and still do use 8 and 10 cavity H & G moulds. Using these I could cast 2000 to 2400 boolits per hour using two RCBS Pro Melt pots which have two premelt pots feeding them.
This is a heck of a lot of work. I think I would like to try one of the Magma casters that has a 40 lbs. pot and uses one two cavity mould but I don't think a person can cast much over about 800 per hours with one of these. The wear and tear on your body would be much less though.
I used one of the auto sizer lubricators from Magma and it was great once set up. I sold it when I quit selling boolits. Now I just use the Star sizer-lubricator.....Wes

DevilDog83
01-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Thanks hammerhead, looking to maybe add some extra income via casting for some local shooters, the contracting game that has kept me fed for the last 30 years is not as good as it once was, appreciate your input

deltaenterprizes
01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I had 3 Magma Casters,3 Magma lubsizers and a Ballisticast. Only had room to hook up 2 Magma casters and the Ballisticast and 2 lubsizers. I filled up 5 gal buckets real fast.
The problem is feeding them, I was getting 3000 lbs of range lead from a local indoor range every 2 months. When business was good, I was just running out of lead when it was time to make another pickup. After Clinton business went south and I sold every thing.
I started with a Magma handcrank machine and a Star lubsizer. I just wanted to sell enough bullets to pay for the machine, but I could not keep up with the demand. My brother in law had a tire store so I got WW at a right price.
I still have the Magma and the Star from 20 years ago!

mike in co
01-07-2010, 11:13 PM
one thing to point out is that sizing dies wear...you will have to replace them ot not have happy customers.

mike in co

870TC
01-07-2010, 11:41 PM
I've used the Magma casting machine, holds eight 2 cavity molds, you can get 2-3 thousand bullets an hour with not to much trouble. Have also used there big sizer with bullet collator, it sizes and lubes about one per second. Both are good machines, and are industry standards.

DevilDog83
05-24-2010, 08:50 PM
If anyone has some of this equipment and is looking to get out of large volume casting, please let me know, thanks, John