PDA

View Full Version : Lee C309-180-R top punch

cheese1566
01-04-2010, 11:51 PM
Will soon be ordering a Lee C309-180-R mold. Need the most compatible Lyman top punch for this round ogive. Anybody have good luck using one?

I see the compatibility chart on CastPics, but don't see anything specific.

If nothing else, I have a Lyman 311 that may work. I curently have JB Weld in it now making it a flat top for my TC bullets. I can do the epoxy nose fit again if needed, but thought I may get a top punch that actually fits.

:cbpour:

Recluse
01-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Will soon be ordering a Lee C309-180-R mold. Need the most compatible Lyman top punch for this round ogive. Anybody have good luck using one?

I see the compatibility chart on CastPics, but don't see anything specific.

If nothing else, I have a Lyman 311 that may work. I curently have JB Weld in it now making it a flat top for my TC bullets. I can do the epoxy nose fit again if needed, but thought I may get a top punch that actually fits.

:cbpour:

I have that mould and I REALLY like the boolit it produces. I also have the top punch for it somewhere, maybe, if I didn't give it away (RCBS, I think), but I didn't like it as it was still giving me more of a flat meplat than I cared for.

I'm a big fan of taking as deep of a top punch that will fit in the sizing die, and then going the JB Weld route. Additionally, I always install my gas checks and do sizing with the push-through sizers--and then use the lubesizer for lubing only. This also reduces my need for an "exact" top punch, and makes my JB Weld punches work like perfection.

:coffee:

geargnasher
01-05-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm a big fan of taking as deep of a top punch that will fit in the sizing die, and then going the JB Weld route. Additionally, I always install my gas checks and do sizing with the push-through sizers--and then use the lubesizer for lubing only. This also reduces my need for an "exact" top punch, and makes my JB Weld punches work like perfection.

:coffee:

May I add to that part about using the push-through first: "keeps the boolits (especially longer rifle boolits) from getting bent by the lubrisizer."

Gear

DLCTEX
01-05-2010, 05:46 AM
The JB weld trick works well even for heavy sizing for me.

high standard 40
01-05-2010, 09:39 AM
I use this bullet in my 30 Herrett for silhouette. I have been using the RCBS #554 top punch with good success.