PDA

View Full Version : Reloads in SVT's questions?

rayg
01-04-2010, 06:02 PM
1. Does anyone reload for their SVT rifle? If so what loads and how do they shoot?

2. Also, does anyone shoot cast bullets in them and f so what loads and is there enough power to operate the action or do you have to operate as a single shot?
Does anyone see a problem in shooting cast bullets as far as tproblems with the gas system?

3. Has anyone shot paper patch bullets in their SVT, and again what load and how do they shoot.

Ray

Skrenos
01-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I have using jacketed bullets and Hodgdon varget powder. Specifically I use 150gr SP and 174gr matchkings with book loads. Shoots like a laserbeam and have never had a problem with 1st shot flyers. Plenty of recoil to cycle the action and the same gas setting as surplus rounds.

I've not tried it with cast, but you can adjust your gas system to cycle the low powered rounds. It has a gas cup system so I can't imagine it being too hard to clean if it did get clogged.

rayg
01-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks Skrenos. I have a 91/30 vet bring back sniper that I just started loading for it and wondered how the reloads would work in the SVT also. The cast bullets I'll be using will be the 314299 bullet to see how it works out in the SVT. It does well in the 91/30 with a light load of 16grs of 2400. However that might be too light to work the action of the SVT though, Ray

NuJudge
01-10-2010, 11:07 AM
I shot cast bullets in mine a long time ago, and used powders in the 4895-speed range. There is a very old Handloader magazine article on cast bullets in semi-auto rifles, including the Tokarev. It was reproduced in the Wolfe Publishing book "The Art of Bullet Casting".

The article recommended the Lyman 311291 with 41 grains of 3031. Check this data against your loading books. They also recommended tight neck tensions, crimps, and hard bullets.

48bpcr
01-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I load for my SVT all the time, never tried it with cast though.
Graff brass, CCI#34 primer, 39grns. 4895, and a 155 grn SMK.
I use this in my 91/30's
My SVT 40
My PSL
And my Evil little m-44.

As a side not, If you can buy a $75.00 M-44 it makes a great spotting scope mount. Fold out the bayonet, stick it in the ground and mount your scope to it. You buddy's at the range will flip out :-)

45BPCR