PDA

View Full Version : New Life for the 327 Federal

9.3X62AL
01-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Ladies and gentlemen, take a look at the Ruger firearms website. Their new gun 2010 roll-out announcement is really a joy to the heart of the Mid-Caliber Revolver Cadre, such as they are here.

A 7-shot GP-100 in 327 Federal, with 4.20" barrel. An 8-shot New Model Blackhawk in 327 Federal with 5.5" barrel. Someone in Southport and/or Prescott definitely GETS IT.

There is also a compact SR-9 variant coming out.

S.R.Custom
01-04-2010, 10:40 AM
...An 8-shot New Model Blackhawk in 327 Federal with 5.5" barrel...

Hmmm. That might be interesting... if there's room enough between chambers to punch it out to 32-20. [smilie=1:

9.3X62AL
01-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Nice idea. So would be a swap-cylinder version.

jameslovesjammie
01-04-2010, 01:00 PM
It's about time! I an surprised though that they couldn't get 8 in the GP100. The cylinder is the same size as an L frame, and S&W got 7 .357 in that.

GrizzLeeBear
01-04-2010, 05:13 PM
While a neat gun, the GP100 puzzles me. What market are they going after with a 40 oz. tank in .327 mag? Expanding on what they already make, like a 5" barrel SP101 makes more sense to me. The SP is a lot lighter, but plenty beefy enough for the .327, is already a 6 shooter in this caliber, and a 5" barrel would make a dandy trail gun.
I'm guessing they wanted the adjustable sights on the GP, but couldn't they just adapt the SP frame for an adjustable sight model?
The 5.5" Blackhawk looks sweet though, and I'm not a single action fan!

What Ruger really needs to do with the GP100 is come out with a 3 or 4" 5-shot 44 special!
I wouldn't be able to afford one of those either, but I can dream can't I?

Dale53
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
It seems we are never satisfied with the new offerings... (me included).

I would have liked to have seen the Federal .327 in the mid size Flattop frame (same frame as the .44 Lipsey special). SS is fine (my preference for a field gun) but having a .327 that weighs 48 ounces with a 5½" barrel seems a bit much.

My self, I will stay happy with my .32 H&R Mags in S&W 631, Ruger SP101, and most of all, my S&W 16-4 (6" barrel).

All of that said, I am happy that Ruger has seen fit to put this caliber in a sporting platform. THAT is where this one should shine (should be a REAL decent varmint gun).

FWIW
Dale53

exile
01-04-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree with Dale53, my preference would have been for a small frame 50th Anniv. flattop with say a 61/2 inch barrel, but I am still glad for the additional offerings. Now maybe Starline will make some brass for us.

exile

376Steyr
01-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Gunblast.com has a writeup with pictures of the new Rugers.

9.3X62AL
01-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Having the 6" Model 16-4 already, I won't have any trouble finding room for the 4.2" GP-100. Consider one already sold here--unless S&W gets a clue and joins the party with a K- or L-frame.

NHlever
01-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Interesting, and they look great, but they are heavy as mentioned by several. I handled a very well done SP-101 a number of years ago, and I think something like that with adjustable sights would be the thing........ Still, the pressures are right up there for that caliber, higher than the .357, or .44 so perhaps Ruger is sticking with the theme of making a strong for caliber gun. I did hear that there was an issue with the early SP-101's in that caliber, but perhaps it was chamber size / shape extraction related? Let's see, two SP-101's in .357 weigh 4 oz more than the Blackhawk .327, and you have ten rounds! :D :D

Bret4207
01-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Bosh! Too big, too heavy, and it's $700.00!!!!!!!. The closest they could come is an SP-101 with a good adjustable sight or maybe a BLUED Single Six. BOSH I say!!!

Stray Round
01-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I'd be really interested if they had made the Single-Six in 327mag. and with either a 4 5/8" or 5.5" it would make for a useful and handy little gun. I really like 32s but Ruger's large frame is just too big and the added capacity is not a plus for me either.

A 327 in the flattop frame would have approached usable but would have preferred the Single-Six frame.

I would REALLY like to see Ruger make a five shot .357 on the little Single-Six frame. Now that would be a dandly little gun that could serve a lot of uses.

NHlever
01-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Someone in Southport and/or Prescott definitely GETS IT.

There is also a compact SR-9 variant coming out.

Actually all those new guns are designed, and produced in New Hampshire except for the SR-9 Compact which is a Prescott gun. Semi auto pistols in Arizona, and the rest in New Hampshire.

Heavy lead
01-04-2010, 10:23 PM
A good idea, maybe they will make what I've wanted for a while, an eight shot .357 Super Redhawk with a 5" barrel with an underlug that matches the frame. This should work better than the Smith as the cylinder notches are already offset. Good idea, I'm just not interested in a .327.
What I really wish Ruger would make would be a Bisley frame in aluminum, I much prefer that frame, but would like the lighter weight of the alloy frame in a carry gun.

odis
01-05-2010, 02:20 AM
Just reintroducing the single six in 32 H&R would have made me happy, or better yet a five shot Bear Cat in the same with adjustable sights. Maybe there will be enough interest in the 32 caliber after these guns hit the streets they will consider something smaller and more portable.

mike in co
01-05-2010, 03:27 AM
While a neat gun, the GP100 puzzles me. What market are they going after with a 40 oz. tank in .327 mag? Expanding on what they already make, like a 5" barrel SP101 makes more sense to me. The SP is a lot lighter, but plenty beefy enough for the .327, is already a 6 shooter in this caliber, and a 5" barrel would make a dandy trail gun.
I'm guessing they wanted the adjustable sights on the GP, but couldn't they just adapt the SP frame for an adjustable sight model?
The 5.5" Blackhawk looks sweet though, and I'm not a single action fan!

What Ruger really needs to do with the GP100 is come out with a 3 or 4" 5-shot 44 special!
I wouldn't be able to afford one of those either, but I can dream can't I?

one thing to remeber is this ROUND HAS SOME POWER BEHIND IT...WHICH MEANS RECOIL, WHICH MEANS IN A HEAVY GUN...EASIER SHOOTING.

mike in co

exile
01-05-2010, 05:00 AM
I am something of a recoil wimp due to arthritis, but I find my SP-101 in .327 Federal fun to shoot. The thing that I don't understand is that if Hamilton Bowen can make a gun everyone seems to want in this caliber, why can't Ruger and Smith and Wesson? The Charter Arms gun seems like a good idea, but I have fired several Charter Arms small frame guns and their quality sucks, at least on the guns I shot. My fear is that everyone has been waiting for Ruger to make the right decision regarding new guns in this great caliber and now they have dropped the ball. I hope that it does not kill the cartridge completely or relegate it to a custom only proposition. In my opinion, in this day and age their is no excuse for not having good quality brass for the .327. Surely Ruger knew what people were saying regarding new guns, why didn't they act on what they were hearing?

exile

9.3X62AL
01-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm not put off by the size or weight of either of these variants. The Model 16-4 isn't a lightweight either. Remember, Ruger builds sidearms like good restaurants make hamburgers--if thick is good, then thicker is better--and few complaints result. The Handcannon Cadre doesn't seem to mind carting around Super Redhawks, so I am a little surprised to see so many negative comments in this vein.

I think the gunmakers and the component makers have been looking at each other for months, each waiting on the other to make The First Move to service this caliber. Federal by policy doesn't cater to the reloading community with new brass as components, which is another speedbump on that Autobahn. The rush and and scramble for cartridge components since Our Dear Leader's regime took office hasn't helped much, either--who ever thought that 380 ACP brass could get SCARCE?

One poster here kinda turned my head a bit........the idea of having a swap cylinder for the 32-20 has a lot of merit, and such a mod would be an uncomplicated job with either a 30 Carbine or 327 Federal spare cylinder in that Blackhawk. It would be nice to have a roller that could safely digest rifle-strength 32-20 loads. And a Marlin 94 in 327 Federal wouldn't hurt anyone's feelings, either.

I'll bet that 327 Federal is louder than Hell's own sound system, and Mike in CO makes a good point that the caliber is fairly stout. That is no real problem, though--most of us enjoy anything that turns money into noise.

Bucks Owin
01-05-2010, 12:32 PM
An 8 shot .32 cal Blackhawk.....yawn. I was hoping for fewer charge holes not more! [smilie=b: Guess I've gotta keep saving for a FA to get 5 BIG chambers :-( Dennis (I guess I should be glad it's not some kinda polymer, "tactical" Blackhawk! :roll: Sure wish ol' Bill were still around running things, Rugers of late don't impress me much....:coffee:)

NHlever
01-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I thought these guns were heavy for the caliber, but the more I look at them the more I like them. Interesting that the Blackhawk doesn't seem to have the key lock under the grips. If you don't like the weight of that one, you can always put on a lighter grip frame. Sure is a nice looking gun.

Tazman1602
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Bosh! Too big, too heavy, and it's $700.00!!!!!!!. The closest they could come is an SP-101 with a good adjustable sight or maybe a BLUED Single Six. BOSH I say!!!

Hey Brett the $700 price tag in reality is gonna be around $550 I think. The Vaquero I just bought had a $617 price tag on it at Rugers site and at the store it was only $500...............

Wife and I were just lamenting the cost of pistols. We've got a S&W (don't know what model...) .38 Special revolver DA. Bought it a year before we got married, 1981 and paid a whopping $173 for it from a place no longer around <GRIN>. Name of the place was "The Liquor Bucket". I'm guessing you won't see anymore shops selling booze AND guns these days.............

Art

Art

PS -- Yes, TOO heavy!

theperfessor
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Not much of a SA fan in any brand but I kinda like the idea of the 7-shot GP100, although I'd rather have a 5-shot GP100 in .41/.44 Special any day...

S.R.Custom
01-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Keep in mind, too, this is all pre-Shot Show hype. If the folks at the Ruger booth are met with a collective display of puking in the aisles, it'll never happen. (I don't know of any distributors currently stocking these guns.)

What it comes down to is this: Considering what's being shown on their website, would I be willing to part with a chunk of my meager resources if I saw one for sale? Well... I just got an email from my brother who picked up an un-fired, in-the-box Ruger Buckeye in 32-20/.32 H&R Mag for just under $450. Given the deals that are currently out there on existing .32 caliber guns, I'd have to say no...

kingstrider
01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
An 8 shot .32 cal Blackhawk.....yawn. I was hoping for fewer charge holes not more! [smilie=b: Guess I've gotta keep saving for a FA to get 5 BIG chambers :-( Dennis (I guess I should be glad it's not some kinda polymer, "tactical" Blackhawk! :roll: Sure wish ol' Bill were still around running things, Rugers of late don't impress me much....:coffee:)

I'm in the same camp, Ruger hasn't impressed me in a while either.

redneckdan
01-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm somewhat interested in the .32 black hawk....especially if there is some way to put the sucker on a diet. :coffee:

Longrange
01-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I think that will be a fine addition to the line. I would like to see the SP101 in .327 come out with a 2 inch barrel though. Then I would get one.

:bigsmyl2:

BrettT/C
01-05-2010, 11:00 PM
I have a 327 mag SP101 with a 4 inch barrel. I would also like to see a lighter blackhawk. I would like to see one with a longer barrel too. If they would come out with a mid size Blackhawk I would buy one in a minute.

May Lipsey's can get them to make a mid sized Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel. That would be prefect.

Brett

mike in co
01-06-2010, 08:27 PM
for those who i have not noticed...i have 50 plus pcs of nickle brass(once fired) on the site benefit auction forum.

mike in co

NHlever
01-07-2010, 12:26 AM
The two Ruger revolvers are shipping now, and the 9mm is scheduled for Jan 15 ship date so I guess it is a done deal for now anyway. I think Ruger will be watching the acceptance of these guns closely, and might react in a positive way to input from the Shot Show, and other sources. They are pretty interested these days in making what folks want. The guns they chose to introduce first are the easiest, and quickest ones for them to offer. The chambers are put in the cylinders these days on CNC milling machines so the number of chambers are just a program change, and same thing for the flutes, etc. The round SA barrels are hammer forged, but the DA barrels are bored, and broached so there was more tooling involved there. Still that machine doesn't care much what size barrel it is boring, or broaching. What I'm saying here, and perhaps not too clearly that once the basic tooling is in place for a bore size change isn't that hard, or costly. The Single Six just isn't large enough for .327 pressures, and Ruger has always had a hang up about the small loading gate. They do make great .32 H&R's though! The Security Six would have been a good candidate, as are the older Blackhawks, and the new midsize. Since it is on a standard Blackhawk cylinder frame, one can easily install an aluminum one to save weight if he so chooses. My 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk went down to about 38 oz's when I did that.