PDA

View Full Version : Just curious

jdgabbard
01-04-2010, 01:06 AM
Ok guys and gals, I've never tried my hand at paper patching. I know a little about it. But haven't really messed around with trying it out as I mostly shoot handguns. But I want to pick your brain. So tell me what you think...

To my knowledge, many of you are using paper condoms to get jacketed velocities and performance out of lead boolits. Correct me if I'm incorrect. Now though it's not really needed, as most handguns can produce jacketed performance with lead boolits, have any of you played with pp'd handgun boolits? What did you find?

lwknight
01-04-2010, 01:17 AM
I'm PP 44 mag boolits because I want soft lead performance and want to shoot it at full power loads. My first test was promising.

pdawg_shooter
01-04-2010, 09:02 AM
I have tried PPs in all my handguns, but as you said there is no real advantage. I use lubed lead for handguns and paper for all my rifles. However a handgun cartridge in a rifle still does way better than a lubed bullet.

1874Sharps
01-04-2010, 01:54 PM
I once tried my hand at using PP for pistol. I made some 45 Colt boolits out of 44 caliber crosshatched boolits. They worked as well as J bullets or lead boolits, but took alot more time to make. I agree with the gentlemen above when they say that for most purposes, shooting PP boolits in pistols really does not offer much of an advantage over a conventional boolit.

lwknight
01-04-2010, 03:47 PM
The reason I wanted to PP the 44 was to be able to use soft lead at 44 mag velocity without leading up the gun.

jdgabbard
01-04-2010, 06:29 PM
This is pretty much what I figured. With the exception of lwknight's soft boolit theory, I don't really see the need. But was just curious as to what you gentlemen had experienced...

303Guy
01-05-2010, 01:42 AM
Well, for what it is worth, I just bought me a 104 year old Lee Enfield specially for paper patching. It arrived today and actually has visible rifling. Good clean shiny rifling! [smilie=w: I'm about to put a PPCBoo through it!