PDA

View Full Version : Reading the Lee Hardness Tester scale

imashooter2
01-04-2010, 12:58 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but dang that scale is hard for me to read. The lines disappear against the silver lead.

I did find that using a yellow filter on the light source helped a bit.

Anyone have more tips?

Mk42gunner
01-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Bracing the boolit against something heavy and solid helps. I used everything from a workbench to my pickup; the best was my old WD. Someone, either here or on castpics mounted the scale in an old microscope, if I can ever find one cheap I am going to try that.

Robert

largom
01-04-2010, 10:22 AM
I mounted my Lee tester in the microscope. There are pictures somewhere here on the forum. It sounds to me like your light is too bright or needs to be held off to one side more. My light is mounted to the microscope base and after getting the right location I made it permanent. The microscope I used is made for a kid. Got it at an auction for couple of $. Could probably find one in toy section of Dept. stores.

Larry

swheeler
01-04-2010, 11:18 AM
You can fashion one from wood scraps, make hole in top a snug slip fit, I set a V block under the tester and nice and steady, normal light from room works fine.

imashooter2
01-04-2010, 02:21 PM
How can the scale be accurate if you don't hold the scope square and against the sample?

truckmsl
01-04-2010, 03:32 PM
I place the boolit in a vise flush with the top of the jaws, set the eye piece down on the jaws and read it clear as day. a flashlight helps.

JSnover
01-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Easy. As long as the surface being examined is perpendicular (at 90 degrees) to the line of sight, you'll get a good reading. Put the boolit in a little V block and rotate it.

kelbro
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I place the boolit in a vise flush with the top of the jaws, set the eye piece down on the jaws and read it clear as day. a flashlight helps.

Same here. I got one of these as a Christmas present and have been having some fun measuring ingots and bullets. The stickons measure right at 5.0 BHN. My WW measure a little harder than I had thought so likewise, my 50/50 w/2% tin and 'Lyman #2' mixtures are also a little harder. My linotype measures closer to the figures that I have seen for monotype. Neat little tools.

TriggerHappyAndy
01-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I made a plastic holder with my milling machine. Here is some pictures:

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/andy_plumber/DSC00442.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/andy_plumber/DSC00445.jpg

kelbro
01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Nice! I like simple and repeatable.

wistlepig1
01-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Nice job Andy, I think I will try it. Thanks Martin

wallenba
01-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Use a jewelers loupe and your dial caliper instead, much easier.

imashooter2
01-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Use a jewelers loupe and your dial caliper instead, much easier.

Now there's an idea worth trying. Thanks!

imashooter2
01-05-2010, 10:39 PM
For the playing I've done so far, I place the marked boolit in a groove on my bench and hold the scope manually. The holders above look like they would make things easier. I still don't understand how the ones that hold the scope at an angle can give good readings unless the sample is held perpendicular. And holding the sample seems as if it would negate the advantage of the stand.

I need to experiment more.

Thanks all for the input thus far!

markinalpine
01-05-2010, 11:22 PM
I've wiped the flat surface of the dimpled boolit with a black marker, then hold the boolit with the v-block supplied with the Lee kit in a single stage press, with the microscope dropped in a .452 Lee resizing die. I have a bright light shining on the boolit from the side. If my bench wasn't in such a mess right now, I'd set it up and take a picture. I'll try to do that in the near future.

Mark :coffeecom

vinceb
01-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Found this led gooseneck flashlight at walmart . Has magnet on bottom . Stick it on a little metal plate and you are good to go . About 3 bucks .......and it even has a laser .