PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Deer Hunting With My 1886 Winchester??

ohiochuck
01-03-2010, 09:47 PM
I would like to hunt deer in Ohio with my Winchester 1886 rifle using cast boolits. If you are an Ohio deer hunter please read. Please pass the info to other Ohio deer hunters.
Thanks!
Jim

January 3, 2010

Dear Ohio Deer Hunters,

Currently:

Ohio whitetail deer hunting is legal with certain handguns. These handguns must have a barrel not less than 5 inches, use a straight wall case (no shoulder / neck; straight tapered wall is acceptable), must be .357 caliber or larger.

Change Needed!

Allowing Ohio deer hunters to use center fire rifles using the same cartridges that are legal to use with a handgun makes reasonable sense! If you are an Ohio deer hunter, please contact the Ohio Division of Wildlife and your elected Ohio General Assembly politicians in Columbus, Ohio by e-mail, telephone call and or letter. Ask them to allow the use of center fire rifles.

Please spread this information to other Ohio deer hunters!

Ohio General Assembly: Locate your elected officials both House and Senate.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/

Ohio Division of Wildlife:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Home/ContactUs/tabid/18270/Default.aspx

It is likely that the use of high velocity center fire rifles will not be allowed. Allowing the use of the center fire cartridges that can be fired in handguns, including the single shot handguns, would allow the use of many center fire rifles such as the lever action guns for .357 magnum, .44 magnum, .45 Colt, .375 Winchester, 33 Winchester, 40-65 Winchester, 45-70, 45-90, 50-70, 50-90, etc. All of these cartridges produce a muzzle velocity below 2300 feet per second. All of these and some others will meet the requirement of not being high velocity cartridges (2800 FPS +).

Remember there are various muzzle loading rifles that attain a velocity over 2000 feet per second with smokeless powder!

Thanks!

Jim McKee

mroliver77
01-04-2010, 01:11 PM
I am with ya brother! Since Indiana passed this mebbe we have a chance.
Jay

fourdollarbill
01-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Very good idea, I'm making a contact today if they still take calls.

lakota
01-05-2010, 12:22 AM
I am on board.

I think it is silly that we can use an in line muzzle loader that shoots like a center fire rifle but we cant use rifles chambered in pistol calibers.

rob45
01-05-2010, 01:05 AM
I am with ya brother! Since Indiana passed this mebbe we have a chance.
Jay

Yes, I'm glad IN passed it. But we're still limited to case length of 1.625"

That leaves out my favorite, the 45-70. Kinda dumb because the whole ordeal is about "long range". I'm still trying to come up with a workable solution to the case length issue by trimming a 45-70 case, but am running into some obstacles. Then I get to see if it is still legal or not, since it would fall under designation of a "wildcat" cartridge. Haven't gotten any responses there; the hangup seems to be that my barrel still says 45-70. Yet to be determined.

What's even crazier is that I can use the 45-70 in an Encore pistol or a BFR, but cannot use it in any of my leverguns.

Good Luck on it, guys.

mroliver77
01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Its a LAW Rob, why would it make sense? Some of the pistol cartridges can womp all over factory 45-70 and come dang close to its performance with both handloaded in modern guns.Lets keep up the good fight and change some of these stupid laws.
Jay

ohiochuck
01-06-2010, 07:37 PM
The key maybe contacting the elected politicians in Columbus. The Ohio Division of Wildlife seldom makes changes without logical pressure being applied. If my memory is correct, a group of handgunners pressed their request for allowing handguns to be allowed for deer hunting 10 + years ago. They were organized and they prevailed. We can also prevail on this issue if enough of us press our elected officals with this request and quickly point out that the range these rifles will shoot using legal pistol cartridges is not going to be further than the pistols being used.
Please try and we may gain another type of firearm that will not adversely effect the Ohio deer herd. It will provide enjoyment of using a rifle if hunters chose one, instead of a handgun or shotgun or moderen muzzle loading rifle.
Thanks!
Jim