PDA

View Full Version : Wondering question on Ruger 45 LC grove diameters.

Changeling
01-03-2010, 07:19 PM
No problem just wondering. What is the normal groove diameter of Ruger 45 LC over the last 15 years or so. Is it fixed from one size to another relative to dates of manufacture or is it an up and down thing within some range that can't be resolved as to date?

44man
01-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Most run at .452". The throats is where Ruger never seems to get it right.

9.3X62AL
01-03-2010, 11:41 PM
My BisHawk x 45 Colt has .452" grooves. Vintage 1996 or so. Throats were .449", and I remedied that some years back. Much better after that.

MtGun44
01-03-2010, 11:48 PM
Prettty much same as Al.

Mine is a blue convertible, LC cyl was .450, ACP cyl was .449, groove is .452. Reamed and
polished throats to .453. All is well.

Bill

Changeling
01-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys, I was looking in my reloading books and they all said .451 on the groove diameter, so since they all agree I knew something was amiss, LOL.

yondering
01-04-2010, 05:18 PM
The three I've measured have all been .451-.452" groove diameter. My first one was an honest .451", but was close to .452" after firelapping.

outdoorfan
01-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Mine's around .4515 after firelapping.

Bucks Owin
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Dittos the .452" barrel on my pre warning NM. Now the throats, another matter........456" :x Dennis

Dale53
01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I and two of my friends recently became the owners of new SS Bisley .45Colt/,45 ACP convertibles. All three of them had .451" barrels but the throats were too tight. However, after reaming both cylinders on each of the three revolvers to .4525" all is now "Right with the world, and the sun will rise in the morning". They now fall in to the "premier class" of high performance revolvers.

FWIW
Dale53

Changeling
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
I and two of my friends recently became the owners of new SS Bisley .45Colt/,45 ACP convertibles. All three of them had .451" barrels but the throats were too tight. However, after reaming both cylinders on each of the three revolvers to .4525" all is now "Right with the world, and the sun will rise in the morning". They now fall in to the "premier class" of high performance revolvers.

FWIW
Dale53

Dale I absolutely love that last sentence, it was meant to be, LOL.

2ndAmendmentNut
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
My NMV has cylinders that are .452 and the barrel is .451.

Bucks Owin
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
My NMV has cylinders that are .452 and the barrel is .451. See? Ruger "can" get it right! Why EVERY Ruger wasn't like that from the start is beyond me. How about the charge holes themselves...still way oversize? Smoked cases with anything but "barnburners"? Best, Dennis

44man
01-08-2010, 10:28 AM
See? Ruger "can" get it right! Why EVERY Ruger wasn't like that from the start is beyond me. How about the charge holes themselves...still way oversize? Smoked cases with anything but "barnburners"? Best, Dennis
How true that is. I found that to get a "perfect" ruger, just buy a BFR. All they need is a trigger job.

Bucks Owin
01-08-2010, 12:29 PM
How true that is. I found that to get a "perfect" ruger, just buy a BFR. All they need is a trigger job.
I've never shot a BFR but have handled a couple and they are very nice indeed! If I wasn't saving up for a M-83 .500 WE I'd likely be looking for a used one in .44 or .45! (Besides, there's no such thing as "too many" guns!) Back to the Rugers, I have heard of at least one .45 BH with a .454" barrel that a fellow changed out. I thought of trying to buy it and installing it on mine but decided that even though it would be a better match for .456" throats, I'd still have the fat chambers. :cry: (Also, it was a 4 5/8" which I don't much like) Besides, mine IS accurate as long as I stay away from the "CAS speed" loads. Seems if I tip the powder can enough, the accuracy stays in the -2" range with 250 gr. Eventually, once I get the mold, I'd like to end up with an accurate load for the downsized 457122 bullet @ 1100 or so for all around use, and a lead frugal 180-200 gr for my young son's plinking use. That should be doable I think....Dennis :|

NHlever
01-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I believe that all the Blackhawk series, and Super Redhawk barrels are hammer forged these days, and they hold pretty tight tolerances. Chambers used to be machined on mutiple head drilling machines so each chamber in a set of three could be different. Now they are machined on CNC machines, and again, tolerances can be held much closer, both location, and size. Some of the problem with chamber size has nothing to do with which company produces it, but with the old blackpowder specs that SAMMI has never changed. They sure need to get some folks on that board that shoot, reload, and hunt!

Changeling
01-08-2010, 03:11 PM
I believe that all the Blackhawk series, and Super Redhawk barrels are hammer forged these days, and they hold pretty tight tolerances. Chambers used to be machined on mutiple head drilling machines so each chamber in a set of three could be different. Now they are machined on CNC machines, and again, tolerances can be held much closer, both location, and size. Some of the problem with chamber size has nothing to do with which company produces it, but with the old blackpowder specs that SAMMI has never changed. They sure need to get some folks on that board that shoot, reload, and hunt!

Very well said sir, I know that the capability is there "NOW", but it always was there if one wanted it done right. One thing I never thought of, but you brought up is the SAMMI specifications. This could have been causing some leagal type problems but if it was Ruger should have just let it slip that this was a problem for them

My browser says I have to stop and reboot, later.

Changeling
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM

I totally agree with you up to the "Board". Just get the Hell rid of them and install knowledgeable people, my opinion.:coffee:

Snyd
01-09-2010, 02:20 AM
My 4" Redhawk is .451. Throats were about .4515 before cylindersmith reamed em to .4525. My SBH Bisley Hunter (04-05 vintage) is .451 and throats are tight as well. It will be getting the ream job too.